Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by white exec »

The Leaf had its inverter and charger units in the rear originally, but these have now been moved upfront, making the power unit uncannily familiar in shape...

One of the guys on the XM site is looking at dropping one of these 100bhp units into an XM.
Last edited by white exec on 14 Feb 2017, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:One of the guys on the XM site is looking at dropping one of these 100bhp units into an XM.
Now that's an interesting project :D It should go well in an aerodynamic XM...

How's he driving the hydraulic pump?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Been considering a C5 electric one, apparently.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Been considering a C5 electric one, apparently.
That makes good sense... Plenty of power to drive it after all :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:
white exec wrote:One of the guys on the XM site is looking at dropping one of these 100bhp units into an XM.
Now that's an interesting project :D It should go well in an aerodynamic XM...
Now that particular 100bhp bundle, looks expensive, even if the chap on the XM forum can actually make the arrangements to purchase one. Then there is the key factor in making everyday conversions an economic reality, the cost of battery packs available to your ordinary joe bloggs converter.

But if he is doing it then he needs poaching over here, and doing a decent blog of the steps along the way. :-D

From the earlier pages of this thread and the many examples from EValbum.com interesting conversions are being carried out and I would definitely put an XM project in this category.

The value in practical EV Motoring does seem to be with a newish second hand vehicle, but that is not to say, a practical reliable classic car, with a suitable conversion, preserving the classic looks while outstripping the original performance isn't equally desirable. Its just going inevitably to have to be a labour of love and money :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

The use of streetlighting circuits isn't actually that bad an idea.

Each individual column will have a pretty small load rating (even the biggest stuff up on 30m columns isn't going to be more than 400W per lamp, so realistically you're going to be looking at something wired for a peak load of around 1.5kW as the power draw at startup is a bit higher than when the lamps are run up.

However the lines they're looped into are going to be a fair amount more substantial - they're *usually* grouped together with clusters running off different feeds. If you were to tap into the mains supply near to the control cabinet you'll have a pretty beefy supply that you can use. Especially during daylight hours obviously when there's no load on the lighting supply. That does obviously come with a big "what if" proviso though for what happens if there's a heavy rainstorm and it gets dark enough for the lights to come on etc...as you'd need to make sure that there was enough headroom to ensure your charger didn't drop out.

Around here it would be a bit more tricky as the majority of the columns around here in residential areas seem to have photocells on each column, and more recently they're moving over to group switching using some wireless RF nonsense which as far as I've heard from a few engineers in the trade is unreliable enough that they're not in any way worried about having nothing to do when these "everlasting" LED lanterns are installed!

Even so, under the ground there will still be a pretty substantial cable there (15 mm^2 usually from memory), even if the cable tail you see running up into the column itself might only be a wimpy little feed designed to handle 5A of current. Just a bit more awkward to connect to because you don't have a nice convenient cabinet tucked away in a corner somewhere.

The one at the Kingswells Park & Ride was in the plant room. The total streetlighting load was somewhere in the region of 40kW from memory, and the contactor never once failed to make me jump half out of my skin whenever it switched while I was in the room. Especially the first time I switched it on to do a lighting check...I wasn't quite prepared for the god almighty bang and blinding flash which ensued when I pressed the tiny little red "override" button!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Have already pointed 'miq' in this direction. He has already indicated he is intending to put serious money into the project, and wants what an XM has to offer comfort- and capacity-wise.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Not exactly the greatest in-depth analysis but this article's headline gives the gist.

Government sets out new powers to shape electric vehicle charging infrastructure

The nitty-gritty springs from this Government Consultation from November 2016 with these 7 powers outlined as part of the Governments response to the consultation to be taken forward into the Modern Transport Bill
from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sponse.pdf
The seven powers taken
forward from the consultation are as follows:
a) Power to require operators of publicly accessible chargepoints and
hydrogen refuelling stations, and networks, to provide data in an open
source format on the geographical location and live availability of charging
and refuelling infrastructure

b) Power to require operators of publicly accessible chargepoints and
hydrogen refuelling stations, and networks, to ensure consumers can use
them without the need for multiple memberships

c) Power to specify minimum standards of design and functionality for new
publicly accessible chargepoints and hydrogen refuelling stations and
networks

d) Power to require infrastructure installed for the purposes of charging EVs
to have 'smart' functionality to receive, understand and respond to signals
sent by energy system participants (e.g. Distribution Network Operators
(DNOs), energy suppliers, National Grid or other third parties) for the
purposes of balancing energy supply and demand, and to require any
technological functionality in EVs necessary to ensure ‘smart’ functionality

e) Power to require that technical standards used by operators of
chargepoints and networks comply with the requirements set out in these
measures are available and implemented on an open access basis. This
includes making publicly accessible the necessary protocols to allow the
charging infrastructure to communicate, understand and respond to
signals or grid balancing

f) Power to require that operators of motorway service areas (MSAs) ensure
a minimum provision of electric and hydrogen fuels for ULEVs at MSAs

g) Power to require a minimum provision of electric and hydrogen fuels for
ULEVs at large fuel retailers
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

.....there is more as you might expect from the workings of government, and quite heavy going but along with potential policy proposals their is the inevitable impact assessment.....

Its here for reference..10 strong coffees at the Pickled Egg Library should get you through it :-D

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ssment.pdf

A small policy intent from the "background" and I have no doubts that the intention is serious, and that other Governments will have similar intentions...
Its goal is a Government manifesto commitment that by 2050 nearly all cars and vans should
be zero emission vehicles, which will mean all new cars and vans should be zero emission vehicles by
Yes its slightly woolly just in case its nowhere near achieved and personally I would like it stronger and quicker, with the UK leading the way, and the associated economic activity and expertese springing from the process in infrastructure/ vehicle manufacturing/power generation like our pioneering with rail transport before, being exported all over the world.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah well. I shall be dead by then, I enjoyed my motoring when there were very few cars on the road and no speed limits. :wink:

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On the BBC this morning there is mention (and, in the next half hour, showing) the revival of the Sinclair C5 electric trike.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:On the BBC this morning there is mention (and, in the next half hour, showing) the revival of the Sinclair C5 electric trike.
Dear god no. :-D

And in another 5 years, Segways will make a comeback. :rofl2:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by mickeymoon »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:On the BBC this morning there is mention (and, in the next half hour, showing) the revival of the Sinclair C5 electric trike.
And there you have, in a nutshell, why the British car industry is no more.

Cit/Peugeot/Mitsu - C Zero
Nissan Leaf
Vauxhall Ampera
Renault Zoe
Tesla Model S
Polo E-up (yorkshire?!)

and from here...

A revived Sinclair C5.

Great.
NewcastleFalcon

Governments do move at a pace which is hopefully completely outstripped by advances in technology so hopefully the pace will increase, with them encouraging rather than hampering progress.

The general intent should surely serve notice on vehicle manufacturers, and their shareholders that in a relatively short space of time continued investment in and production of new diesel/petrol models will produce no returns, and if they don't put themselves in a position to grab market share of EV's or FCEV's they are unlikely to survive.

Is there a single auto-company now that doesn't have an electric option? Will have to look up Morgan but it wouldn't surprise me if by now they have!

Everyone in Europe is falling over themselves to try to seduce Tesla to set up gigafactory2 in their Country but I did enjoy one of the comments at the bottom of this article from Elektrek on the subject....
from https://electrek.co/2016/11/29/tesla-gi ... h-efforts/
Comment from Ian
Why bother with Tesla, these countries could build their own gigafactories, goodness me, Tesla's technology is Panasonic's. Any old fool can construct a large factory shed and place lithium cell manufacturing machines in it. Do Renault, or Volvo, or Fiat or Daimler not know how to make objects or put manufacturing robots in a factory building? Seriously, it's like having MacDonalds restaurants in France, or Dominoes pizzas in Italy. What's wrong with you Europeans . I think I will sell toy bricks to the Danish, and Flat pack furniture to the Swedes, or perhaps set up a charity to help Europeans tie their own shoe laces
Yes Tesla have a bit of an edge, and Elon Musk is a very busy boy, and very good at securing huge investments for his vision, and worldwide coverage for his brand. But surely there are some budding European, or maybe even British "Elon Musks"......Maybe Europe need an "Elon Musk 2" or 3, or 10, rather than a gigafactory2. After watching his presentation in Dubai....he's not the worlds greatest exponent of powerpoint! but everyone loves the TESLA brand and theres no problem filling their "order books".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have just watched the item. The new vehicle is designed by Sir Clive Sinclairs' nephew, it is streamlined, and three times faster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38960275
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!