HT Leads

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

HT Leads

Post by Deanxm »

I recently re-furbished and cleaned up my HT leads for the PRV engine project but some are just too long, a couple are mouse chewed, one is chaffed and another is too short and corroded with the top of the old spark plug welded into it, I have 1 1/2 sets but with all the good ones gathered together im coming out short by 2 leads.

The usual sources have turned up a set of Red leads but at £150-£200, I feel that is a little excessive for a few bits of rubber covered copper.

I can buy red sheathed HT wire for a couple of £ on Amazon and the distributor end terminals but finding the boots to fit the plug wells is (so far) near impossible but if im honest I dont know what im looking for. Are there standard types of boot used so I can punch 'XY spark plug boot' into google and find them or are they an engine specific part.

The plug leads are a key part of the engine visually in the way they clip into the Engine cover and I would like them to look right, more importantly I want the plug wells sealed but not at the cost of £200 when I can find a set of black ones for £25.

Thanks
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: HT Leads

Post by CitroJim »

What do the plug boots look like Dean? A picture may help...

Agree the leads have to be red in a PRV :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Here are some photos of the leads at both ends and the plug wells, clearance above the well is not great as you see

Imagephoto(97) by Deanxm, on Flickr
Imagephoto(98) by Deanxm, on Flickr
Imagephoto(99) by Deanxm, on Flickr
Imagephoto(100) by Deanxm, on Flickr

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't know where you've tried but maybe here:

http://www.autosessive.com/engine-parts/ignition-leads
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

No parts available, I think there are only about 10 prv 12v Xmas in existence in the uk and about the same amount of prv pugs so most places don't stock this stuff, a few bits I've had to buy through the uk Delorean club but unfortunately they only do black leads and they are too short

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Crisis over before it started! i was stripping the wiring loom off of the parts car today and had it lifted up in the air with a forklift, as i walked round i saw something under the drivers seat, that something was 3 more Red HT leads, no chewed bits, no damage, no corrosion just dirty, i have cleaned them and they are all the ones i need and in the rapidly emptying box of new engine bits.

Also as a side note i also confirmed all of my Prestige wiring loom will plug straight into the V6 loom, no wiring, no guessing just unplug the 2.0i engine (Fabricate a new engine mount) plug in the V6 and turn the key.

Very lucky and very pleased today.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nice one.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D Lovely result Dean!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...