Best laid plans, etc

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Best laid plans, etc

Post by van ordinaire »

. . . or is just one thing on top of another?

This weekend was always earmarked for Paris Retromobile – but by the time I managed to get Friday off, it was too late to get a reasonable priced Eurostar ticket. Second best was the early “Bristol” Classic Show so made arrangements around that: booked the van in for its MoT Friday morning, so drive down to Devon Thursday night, fit the new rear silencer at 1st light (it was delivered the day after I last drove back to London - not the day before as anticipated) & hope it would scrape through on the spare tyre as I couldn’t get the new tyres in waiting fitted before the test appointment. That would mean replacing the n/s driveshaft one evening last week or this. As it worked out, that was going to be Monday but first I wanted to pump up the spare (as it would go on n/s f.). Set up pump, went to start engine – so pump didn’t flatten the battery – but because I was doing this just by reaching in through the door, didn’t notice it was in gear, van lurched backwards but, mercifully, didn’t start! Knocked it into neutral & went to start it: silence! Seemed battery was as dead as a dodo, was the drain really that great? Ammeter on battery charger seemed to confirm that was the case. Left battery on charge overnight, & last night, showing some 90-odd% charged, tried again last evening – with exactly same result. So, no driveshaft, no drive down to Devon, no MoT & a lot of additional expense, even if I can get the damn thing started. Lightly massaging the starter produce clicks when turning the key &, later that night, having refreshed the battery got nasty graunching noises as the starter reluctantly tried to turn. So, either there’s an internal short – or I’ve fried it. Either way it’s a “new” starter motor (gutted, because when I got the van & found an old starter motor in the back if the van, I was pleased to find, what appeared to be, an almost new one under the bonnet!)& there’s the problem: trying to find a “C15” starter won’t be easy, will any DW8 starter fit? What else used this engine – Xantia?

Sorry to have gone on for so long but thought a little outpouring would help me cope with this latest setback, again, largely of my own making.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Best laid plans, etc

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear :( That's a lot of unhappiness :twisted:

Hope the starter motor issues are soon resolved... Was the 'new' starter a well-known make and new or a refurbished one? I ask as there have been reports of certain refurbished ones not being that good a quality or particularly long-lived..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The DW8 was fitted to the Xsara, Dispatch, Berlingo & C15, Also the equivalent Peugeot models.
Was the new starter an RTX brand by any chance ?
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

All I can say is it's marked Paris Rhone - but, of course, that could just be the original case.

Are you telling me that RTX starters are rubbish, have to say the price I've seen them for was more off-putting than tempting - as in too good to be true sense.

It's not the starter issue (after all, that's only money!) so much as everything else that's hanging on it (partly because of my 2 centre life) but it looks like April now before I can get it in for an MoT, by which time the tax'll have run out AND it's stuck outside the house. Like I said, one thing on top of another!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

van ordinaire wrote: Are you telling me that RTX starters are rubbish, have to say the price I've seen them for was more off-putting than tempting - as in too good to be true sense.
Yes RTX starters & alternators are complete junk, they are very cheap for a reason.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

It was the margin by which they were cheaper that deterred me; thanks for confirming my instincts were right.
Starter's off now (surprisingly easy - once I remembered I probably did have an 8mm hex key) - & it's a Valeo (or does the 2nd, paper, label mean it's a re-con unit?). Anyway, I'm not sure about their stuff anymore: Cibie's have definitely gone down in my esteem now they come in Valeo boxes & there's some odd bits bearing their name on my Cherokee, eg the radiator - just seems to have become a global brand, that can be stuck on anything now. Then again, premium German brands cost almost as much as I paid for the van. Any thoughts?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you want to take a chance (and save a bit of money) you could consider a reconditioned starter motor from GSF. I did (for my C5), paid around £120 for a motor that purports to be reconditioned by Bosch, and about £50 back when I returned my original starter motor in the packaging the recond. motor came in (despite it not being a Bosch motor).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Thanks for all the support peeps.

Now Jim, you'll like this: the old boy who did my cam belt agreed to come round Friday morning (despite his saying he doesn't usually work Fridays) to apply his expertise to removing the rad from the Cadillac as the plumbing for the trans cooler had defeated me - & I hadn't even found the unions for the PAS cooler! & to offer to try adjusting the bands on the "old" Cherokee "for a few £'s" if I'd drop the oilpan, fpr access to one of them, rather than just writing it off as toast. His opening shot was to ask if I'd got the van MoT'd - & as he was preparing to drive away, he called his usual factors (not much more'n a mile away) for a price for a starter, if anything, a little less than carparts4less.com quote for an RTX one (less £30 for the old one!) & said I could have it for what it'll cost him. His parting shot was to suggest I made sure it wasn't the battery, as he'd hate me to shell out for a starter, when the money should've been spent on a battery. Of course I'll be kicking myself if it IS the battery (even though I'm sure it isn't) - but not as much as if I found out after changing the starter.
Yes, at that price it must be a re-con unit but he says most of his customers always plump for the cheapest option & he's not had any probs. yet AND, if the worst comes to the worst, at least I'll have some comeback with a a purchase from the local branch of a big chain.
All in all I think I've had a result, although not altogether unqualified - & to cap it all, he reckons repairing the high pressure pipe from the PAS pump to the steering box on the Cherokee's not a problem (it's unrelated, but needs to be done before sorting the trans.)
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :) he really is a treasure! Look after him and if I were you I'd keep very quiet on exactly who he is so that he never becomes too busy to look after you ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

He's low maitenance too (Friday's £75 bill was painful - BUT he was here for a bit over 3 hours, including the time spent going home for the gas torch he uses in his steam engine construction) non-stop sweet black coffee & he's happy. However, when did the cambelt I let him keep the locking bolts, so he didn't have to scratch about for odd ones that'd do another time - he was embarrisingly grateful. I let him have my spare Cherokee manual this time ('cos I know he has a customer with one - & he only has the Grand Cherokee one. Next time (when he comes to assist with fitting the new rad in the Cadillac - on it's way from Californ-I-A @ $106, incuding shipping!) I've got to sort out my box of spire nuts (contains more than I'll ever need) as he mentioned he never seems to have the right one. I think he appreciates these little gestures more than a tip - hope so!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm sure he does appreciate all of that ;) And I can understand it too. The odd jobs I've done for people have always been paid in ways other than money and to great appreciation too...

Last year I did an Activa clutch and was paid in Arbroath Smokies :D

Just recently I helped with Renault Scenic ball joints and was paid in speciality herbal teas...

Much better than plain old money ;)
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Just a re-confirmation really, RTX parts really are junk.

I was unwise enough to fit an RTX alternator to daughter's 106, it last approx 700miles. Euro's changed it ok for a slightly pricier item, and told me that they get very few of them returned, but I didn't believe 'em and suffered the joyousness of doing the job twice.

Some 206's also use the DW8
Puxa
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: I was unwise enough to fit an RTX alternator to daughter's 106, it last approx 700miles.
700 miles ? Sounds like you got one of the better ones :rofl2:
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

"Just a re-confirmation really, RTX parts really are junk."

OK, I'd got the point, but had already decided their price was too good to be true, however, I seem to have hit on something better at around the same price. Of course, if it comes across the counter in RTX packaging, all bets are off!

Euro's may well nor have had many back, that doesn't mean that many hadn't failed. There's a whole raft of reasons why deffective goods aren't returned.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do know that (when he was alive) citronut would not touch Euro Carp Parts with a barge pole. One of the names he had for them was Euro Crap Parts. However, I do know (from personal experience) he would use GSF.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!