Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by bobins »

To link in with Neil's posting about a 'The Register' article down at the Pickled Egg https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 35#p520151
Here's a couple of photos taken some years ago of one of the Mail Rail stations just as they were starting the mothballing process
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Last edited by bobins on 29 Jun 2017, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great pictures Bobins :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

""PUBLISHED: July 9, 2015 12:00 pm LAST UPDATED: July 9, 2015 12:09 pm
Is former Wolverhampton Sainsbury's to become city eyesore?
One year ago today Sainsbury’s moved out of its Wolverhampton city centre base in St George’s to take up residence in a new £60million store off Ring Road St Mark’s.
Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015 ... e88YsSA.99""

Sadly, just another abandoned building now :cry: :cry:
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

harryp wrote: Sadly, just another abandoned building now :cry: :cry:
Not half the eyesore an abandoned supermarket on the seafront at Burnham-on Sea is.. I think it was a former Morrisons but now all the windows are 'bricked up' with rough concrete blocks...

It presents a terrible image of a town trying to pass muster as a desirable holiday destination...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Definitely not my own work but enjoy the link to Ryan McEwan Photography.

He does some absolutely stunning night-time photography of Edinburgh, the one of the waterside at Leith is exceptional. Website http://www.ryanmcewanphotography.com/

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5900D091

He has taken a very nice image of the Queensferry Crossing...............otherwise known as the new Forth Road Bridge.

Supposedly ready for May 2017 Opening, so anyone venturing up from down South for a 500 mile tour of the North of Scotland later in the year will be able to experience it first hand.

Significant moment in the last few days...It has successfully met in the middle!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Picture(s) of the day...Power Generation Plant Day!

The title of the World's Largest solar plant is constantly changing, I believe its held by India at the moment.

Obviously I havent been round the world with my instamatic attached to a suitable drone to supply any original photography for "Picture(s) of the day" so apologies for the extra effort of clicking on a link.

Some of these installations are strangely pleasing with a bit of decent camerawork, with this one the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy plant in Nevada, being a case in point. Its a Solar-Thermal Power plant (wiki article here.

http://breakingenergy.com/wp-content/up ... 4_hi-1.jpg

and this one has a beauty of symmetry and tranquility

http://www.sciencealert.com/images/stories/solar.jpg

I concede that power generation plants from other sources can have an awesome presence, even your coal-fireds can conjure up some brooding images, and the starkness of some nuclear power installations can appeal to some..even the incongruent Torness installation on the east coast as you drive up to Edinburgh has this quality.

So, if you fancy joining in let this be "Power Generation Plant Pictures day!" lets hope it gets more participants than "Milton Keynes Day" :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....Power Generation Plant day

Geograph is always and interesting source of images witn images posted up for every 1km square in the UK.

Here's one Torness Power station starkly white and and boxy with the lighthouse comparitively small-scale behind it and the Bass Rock out at sea, and the Kingdom of Fife beyond.

Image by Walter Baxter
under this creative commons licence

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 12 Feb 2017, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Picture(s) of the day...Power Generation Plant Day!

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
I concede that power generation plants from other sources can have an awesome presence, even your coal-fireds can conjure up some brooding images, and the starkness of some nuclear power installations can appeal to some..even the incongruent Torness installation on the east coast as you drive up to Edinburgh has this quality.

So, if you fancy joining in let this be "Power Generation Plant Pictures day!" lets hope it gets more participants than "Milton Keynes Day" :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Challenge accepted :-D But enough of this green and pleasantness, here's some good old fashioned oil burners with one thing in common - they're all either underground or in very large concrete boxes :-D
Own work
Own work
First up is a couple of the old gensets under Gibraltar. Gib is basically hollow and has a very interesting history - as well as being very small and perfect for electric cars.... apart from the really steep bits :wink: The photo above is in Calpe.
The next two photos are in the area of Fire Control South. I don't know if it was preserved 'by accident', or if there was an intended further use for the genny. Whichever way, it was in lovely condition when I visited a good few years ago
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
In need of a bit of work with a wire brush, and the odd can of Plus Gas - these three gennies were in Tomson's Raise in Gib.
Own work
Own work

Coming a bit further forward in time, this was in an old Nato site in West Germany. It's one of four gensets in the hall, the second photo is of the air intake chamber - note the person at the back for scale :shock:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Going back to the 50s now, this is in an old Regional War Room which had a later use as a slightly more modern government bunker. An old Ruston and Hornsby generator with a 'Lancashire Dynamo + Crypto' alternator (at least I presume it's an alternator, not a dynamo !!) dating from 1953 lurks through the doorway.
Own work
Own work
The next one is in an old Post Office Protected Repeater location - basically a bunkered phone exchange.
Own work
Own work

To end with, a couple of foreign sites - the first one is from an old East German nuclear warhead store. These were where the battlefield warheads were kept very safe and very secure. There was a direct connection on the gate to the inner secure area back to Moscow, so if anyone opened the gate - an alarm would ring. So absolutely nothing to worry about there. Oh no.
Own work
Own work
And as a contrast, one from a neutral country - Switzerland. Some nice Sulzer engines in a rather lovely engine room :-D
Own work
Own work
Last edited by bobins on 29 Jun 2017, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day...Power Generation Plant Day!

bobins wrote: Challenge accepted :-D But enough of this green and pleasantness,.......
Thanks Bobins, that contribution has well and truly puts "Power Generation Plant Day" ahead of Milton Keynes Day already! :-D

I think Ferrybridge C is no more, but green and pleasant it was not! Still...probably fairly depressed house prices nearby!

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsp ... idge-1.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Really impressive photos, Bobins. I've done the 'tourist' bits The Rock a few times, and even into the Joint Services area (when our RAV4 got rammed by a trainee Wireless driver wrestling unsuccessfully with his Defender handbrake at full throttle in reverse), but never into the depths of the services caverns. As you say, most of what you don't see on Gib is out-of-sight . . . . rather like Switzerland!

Perhaps we should include the vast underground hydro power station under Ben Cruachan on the upcoming 500 North excursion?
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote:Really impressive photos, Bobins. I've done the 'tourist' bits The Rock a few times, and even into the Joint Services area (when our RAV4 got rammed by a trainee Wireless driver wrestling unsuccessfully with his Defender handbrake at full throttle in reverse), but never into the depths of the services caverns. As you say, most of what you don't see on Gib is out-of-sight . . . . rather like Switzerland!
We were fortunate enough to be able to arrange a complete walk through in one go from one end to the other on one occasion. It took a bit of arranging, and we had the surreal experience of a military police vehicle following us at a slow walking pace at the 'interesting' end of The Rock. I'm pretty sure they've opened up more bits of underground Gib since I was last there.

As for Switzerland - an Eye-Spy fanatics wonderland :-D

Now you see me.......
Own work
Own work
Now you don't......
Own work
Own work
And that's just the sites built into the mountains. Their 'Falsche Chalets' are amazing. What you think is a lovely barn in a tranquil setting turns out to hide a great lump of a weapon :shock:
Own work
Own work
Perhaps we should include the vast underground hydro power station under Ben Cruachan on the upcoming 500 North excursion?
Now that sounds like an interesting diversion :-D
Last edited by bobins on 29 Jun 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Inspired by a book I am reading and your posts I looked at our local-ish power station and it is proper dismal.
Have seen it in the distance when testing some electronics, probably about three miles away but not much to see from that distance.
No better close up :(

ETA: Hartlepool - couldn't remember that name of the place earlier.
Last edited by myglaren on 12 Feb 2017, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More words
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for those pictures Bobins :) Really enjoyed them... Wish I had pictures of the generating plant I've been involved with over the years but sadly no photography was ever allowed...

Everything from Deltics providing standby power for Short Wave broadcasting transmitters right down to little 15KVA plants powered by twin-cylinder diesel Listers...

Those of yours are so evocative I could immediately smell that wonderful oily diesel aroma present in all generator houses :D

Lots of happy memories brought back :)
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Jim - there's every chance you've seen this maintenance board before.... I believe you may have started out here many years ago. It was for 'a very large transmitter' site :-D
Own work
Own work
Sadly the gensets have long since gone :(
Last edited by bobins on 29 Jun 2017, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:Jim - there's every chance you've seen this maintenance board before.... I believe you may have started out here many years ago. It was for 'a very large transmitter' site :-D
Yes, I reckon there's a very good chance ;) In the summer of '76 :) Happy days! Standing by a Deltic and witnessing it start up and run at that location changed my life irrevocably - I fell hopelessly in love and remain so to this day :)

Only last week I was nattering with a colleague who used to work there and we had a very enjoyable stroll down memory lane :)

Even to the point of being keener on early diesel railway locomotives than steam ones... I love steam but I love diesel more :wink:
Jim