Straw Poll

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Have you had a phone call threatening 'Legal Action' from 'HMRC' since 31/1/2017? See post below.

Poll ended at 16 Feb 2017, 14:51

No - but then I rarely get nuisance calls
30%
No - and I get nuisance calls
70%
No - and I have talked to HMRC recently (my number not withheld)
No votes
Yes - but HMRC are unlikely to have my phone number
No votes
Yes - and I have been in telephone contact with HMRC recently
No votes

Total votes: 10

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Straw Poll

Post by Old-Guy »

This has nothing to do with cars, French or otherwise, so I apologise.

Having had the same telephone number for decades, we suffer from spates of nuisance calls from time to time. This week, something rather sinister has happened:
On Monday afternoon, I made two long phone calls to HMRC help-lines.
On Tuesday and Wednesday we had two calls (mid-morning and mid-day) from 'International' numbers which we never answer as they are always nuisance calls. One of them tripped our messaging service, which recorded this pre-recorded message, "We are calling you to tell you that HMRC is taking legal action against you...Press 1 now... " Female, 'home counties' accent, professional delivery - rather better produced than genuine HMRC recorded messages! Another call this morning.
It may be coincidence, but I can't help wondering if taxpayer's phone numbers are leaking from HMRC.
I am aware that the deadline for Self Assessment Returns was 31st January, so it's the 'best' time for such a scam.
Have you had the same call? All answers will help as the more 'votes' the more reliable the statistics will be.
Thank you in advance
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Straw Poll

Post by white exec »

I know this sounds odd, but have you telephoned HMRC and asked them if these were calls they made?
Also try googling your question - it's how we confirm numbers we suspect as suspicious (before blocking them), usually to find hundreds of reports of the same.
Last edited by white exec on 10 Feb 2017, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I turned my phones off a couple of years ago and they don't work now anyway.
I really hate telephones.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: I really hate telephones.
Ditto. I only use a phone if I really, really have no alternative... I don't even enjoy a so-called social chat. I much prefer face-to-face conversation which I enjoy immensely.

I'll still write a short letter in preference...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

HMRC usually only take legal action where there is fraud AND large sums of money involved, & even when they get a conviction they don't seek compensation because their own powers of recovery make that unecessary.
Failure to meet the self-assessment deadline is the equivalent of a fixed penalty offence: they'll just bill you for the £100!
Never give anyone (apart from fiends & family) a 'phone No: & remember, computers are stupid so if it's a required field on-line, they don't know 0123456789 isn't a genuine number.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Sounds like a scam, but a phone call to HMRC on their official number will put your mind at rest.

As an aside, I remember watching a TV program where Dominic Littlewood had to phone HMRC. It rang twice and an operator answered it straightaway. I never get through to HMRC quicker than 20 mins on hold so pretty sure it was been staged!
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My one and only recent dealing with HMRC on the phone, in connection with dad's affairs, was rapidly answered and effectively dealt with...

Maybe I was lucky...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Maybe I was unlucky! I don't have requirement to phone them very often, so maybe I got them on a bad day (before a deadline perhaps) I guess all businesses have quiet/ busy times.
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe they're better at dealing with dead people... That was what my call was about... A few weeks later they sent me a very juicy cheque so a win all-round :D
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Wish you were right Jim but my late mother got a £100 penalty notice for not having done a return for the tax year AFTER her death. Apparently missing that deadline is an absolute offence, so I really had my work cut out to convince them of the absurdity of the situation but they finally (& soewhat reluctantly, I felt) conceded the point. Must admit though, never thought of 'phoning, as I like to keep my disputes fully documented.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's terrible Van :( Should never happen now as HMRC are automatically notified of a death, as are all other Govt. organisations through the 'one-call' system that kicks in when a death is registered...

It seems to work, or it has in Dad's case...
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

The irony was I'd done the final tax return - & received a refund, almost a year previously, then no tax return to alert me to a problem - just the penalty notice.

Oh, & that "one-call" system is run by the DWP - & who caused be the most trouble? DWP! Had to get my MP involved just to get the figures for Probate, which was delayed some months because of their recalcitrance!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks for all the votes and posts.

I was in no doubt that the calls were scams; I had contacted HMRC (with difficulty) to ask about completing a self-assessment return to declare the small income from an investment, only to be told that I didn't nor did I have to pay tax on the income! :) :) :)

Just seemed a remarkable coincidence.

When websites demand full name and address details in order to process my enquiry, I give my name and an e-mail address (one of several) reserved for such purposes and their address and phone number. Works mostly, but not with Braun who never replied to a genuine product question (so I bought another brand!).
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:That's terrible Van :( Should never happen now as HMRC are automatically notified of a death, as are all other Govt. organisations through the 'one-call' system that kicks in when a death is registered...

It seems to work, or it has in Dad's case...

When dealing with my father-in-laws estate in 2012, DWP didn't notify themselves and got quite shirty that I hadn't notified them to limit the over-payment of pension and other payments. Then while the house was empty and being sold there was the hassle from TV Licensing, Local Authority, Utilities, share registrars etc. All of whom give the impression that a DEATH is an unusual event. It happens to everyone - sooner or later!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It surely worked in Dad's case Guy as since my last post in February I've not had any problems at all. All of dad's affairs are all now fully wound-up and all the paperwork ahs been archived into my loft and has been for several weeks now... Maybe in 2012 the system was still settling in?
Jim