Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
hirsty wrote:According to the paper today, the latest concern is muggers jumping in front of the car and making it stop automatically as designed. Think I'll stick to my C5.
:shock: Whatever next?

At least driving a dog-eared Xantia is proof against this - they'll know it's pointless as the driver must be in poverty :lol:

They're already theif-proof as nobody in their right mind would ever nick one. Unless you're daft enough to park outside the local asylum that is ;)

The reasons to keep driving a Xantia just get more compelling by the day!
Same applies to a C5 Jim.

I always say that this is the most effective anti theft device:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I believe you're right Steve! Sporting double chevrons should carry a Thatcham rating and be worth a hefty insurance discount ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:If this is the future of cars then I'm out :(
Is this the future of cycling or is it already here.....

(another one from the dailyhover)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Is this the future of cycling or is it already here...
That covers just about all you could want in a lid. Excellent ;)

The big penalty for we who like to keep weight down is the sheer weight of the thing... Odds-on that weighs almost as much as my bike!

A similar concept with lots of position lights, including an accelerometer-actived stop light and indicators remotely controlled from the bars is already available in the UK for the small sum of £138. Reviews comment on its sheer weight and the lack of MIPS protection...

Battery life is about three hours with a two hour charge time.

The Lumos Helmet

I'm sure this is the start of something big, it just needs battery technology to catch-up and produce some high-capacity ultra-light cells...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Did someone already post this in this thread ?

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Pretty neat, and I have to wonder how they source their "realtime" data ? I'm a bit of a sucker for graphs like this - I also graph the temperature of all the rooms in the house. :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Wonder if the "demand" on the grid from wholesale adoption of electric vehicles is going to be that catestrophic even now seeing as most of the draw on the resources would be plugging in overnight when in general the generating capacity is well underused.

Over on the "Dump your Deezels" thread I posted up a selective query of second hand Nissan Leafs direct from Nissan dealers in the price bracket £5000-£8000. Many of the vehicles especially if they stick to their contracted miles have very little milage on them. and if the necessary battery life assurances can be arranged may well take some of the depreciation out of the costs of use of the vehicle and may prove to be a good secondhand buy as an entry into electric vehicles.

Just for balance the Renault Zoe is also well available secondhand now like this example. Plenty more where that came from but with it being a relatively new market, it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail. Its always better to go into the negotiation where you know as much if not more than the person trying to sell you something and spouting the usual sales BS!:) .

http://usedcars.renault.co.uk/used-rena ... =se_na_re_

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:If this is the future of cars then I'm out :(
Is this the future of cycling or is it already here.....
I hate it. It's hard to say how much I hate it in fact. In fact, if I had the choice between no lid, and that, I'd use no lid!

The LAST THING I want when I go out for a bike ride is people bothering me on the phone or music, or radio, or technology around me. Strava in my back pocket on the phone will do me, but it's always on silent! I'm becoming more than slightly annoyed by tech being everywhere, often unnecessarily.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's beginning to get more like it :)

Do you still have to stump up for battery rental though?
mickeymoon wrote: The LAST THING I want when I go out for a bike ride is people bothering me on the phone or music, or radio, or technology around me. Strava in my back pocket on the phone will do me, but it's always on silent! I'm becoming more than slightly annoyed by tech being everywhere, often unnecessarily.
I always wear a (light) lid and the weight of these high-tech jobs bother me most...

I like the idea of the lights, especially indicators and stop light but I agree wholeheartedly about the phone and music... I ride to escape the hurly-burly and like to be in touch with what's going on around me... Music would be a bad distraction and no phone call is so important I need to take it on my bike! Phones have voice-mail for times when we can't answer ;)

My Garmin is as high-tech as I want to go on a bike... Even that measures speed (instantaneous, peak and average), time, distance, plots my route via GPS, calculates my power output, how many calories I've burned and on one of my bikes, my pedalling cadence! With an accessory it can even record my heart-rate!

I love stats and it gives me loads of those!
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Just for balance the Renault Zoe is also well available secondhand now like this example. Plenty more where that came from but with it being a relatively new market, it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail. Its always better to go into the negotiation where you know as much if not more than the person trying to sell you something and spouting the usual sales BS!:) .

http://usedcars.renault.co.uk/used-rena ... =se_na_re_
The original Renault Zoe (which those linked to will be) have only a 20kWh battery and a range of 80 miles at most. Also battery rental was the only option that it was ever sold with so no matter how old and worthless it was by the time you'd bought it you'd still be facing a reasonably hefty (relative to an old second hand car) monthly "rental" cost for the battery. Not a good deal when the car itself is down to banger prices IMHO!

The new Zoe has a 41kWh battery which gives around 130-140 miles per charge realistically and is sold either with battery rental or at a considerably higher cost without rental. So shopping for a second hand 41kWh Zoe you'd have to be careful to know whether the one you were buying had a rented or purchased battery...

After watching a few reviews I've kind of gone off the Zoe - even the new 41kWh version - it may be one of the cheapest EV's at the moment but it seems like it is a very basic entry level EV and not particularly good as a car in many ways. Here's one such review of the new 41kWh model which is very ambivalent:

They also own a Tesla and have posted reviews on a lot of other electric and hybrid cars.

And of course there is Robert Llewellyn review of the original Zoe in 2013:

And here is is review of the new 41kWh model:

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Mandrake wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: ....it is as well that the prospective purchaser gets really genned up about the "offers" and what they entail.
After watching a few reviews I've kind of gone off the Zoe - even the new 41kWh version - it may be one of the cheapest EV's at the moment but it seems like it is a very basic entry level EV and not particularly good as a car in many ways. Here's one such review of the new 41kWh model which is very ambivalent:

Just watched the first one Simon, all adds a bit more useful knowledge and there's plenty more of the same out there. I think personally at this stage I would fit into the "timewaster" category so don't think I could walk into a Nissan or Renault showroom and book an extended test drive of an EV. Thinking about it though that's exactly what you would want to do...even when considering investing in a second hand EV.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and todays Electrek selection a few pictures and a video of the Tesla Model 3 from the Gigafactory1

https://electrek.co/2016/05/10/tesla-mo ... res-video/

The grill-less front end of the model 3 is, dare I say it......very Renault Caravelle-esque!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

...and a touch of Chrysler Neon...
US starting price looking good. Unfortunately, US$35,000 translates into GB£35,000 :cry:
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I was reading the Gōteborgs Posten (Gothenbug Post) this morning and apart from a massive blaze in the Volvo factory in Torslanda, just outside Gothenburg, they had news of Volvo electric busses being sold to Harrogate.
Transport Engineer

PRNewswire
NewcastleFalcon

Just found out that although Volvo Cars are owned by Geely-Auto from China, Volvo Buses/Trucks and suchlike are a still a separate entity with a base in Sweden although owning amongst other things, Renault Trucks. The companies still share the Volvo logo and co-operate in running the Volvo Museum.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Brilliant. Good to see. It's beginning to roll!
Chris