Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:IPEX (international printing exhibition) at NEC, every four years, fills the entire place. Did several one-week stints on Agfa's stand there. Exhausting!
I've a feeling the Classic Car Show, along with the concurrent Classic (Motor) Bike Show fills the entire NEC too...

It certainly is exhausting and to do the show full justice requires all three days... It can be done in one but much is missed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Would it run all the aircon? :shock:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Would it run all the aircon? :shock:
That's a good point Peter!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

https://electrek.co/2017/01/04/tesla-21 ... y-model-3/

Another article from electrek. The 2170 is the base battery cell (21mm x70mm and neatly fits in the hand) and is modestly claimed by Elon Musk to be the “highest energy density cell in the world and also the cheapest”.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's one heck of a powerful battery Neil :) They'd be brilliant for bike headlights...

Good to see they may well help drive the cost of electric cars down to something that's affordable :)
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mandrake wrote:Their goal is to have the entire roof covered in solar panels by the time it is fully constructed, yes, and I believe that it does work out to be sufficient to run the whole operation. :)

It's not for no reason that they chose somewhere like the Nevada desert...
In that location they're likely to run out of water first. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

So how many of those little metal battery-cells make up a "battery Pack" ?

Well the 60kWh pack has 14 Modules of 384 cells, a total of 5,376. (based on the current 18650 cells)

The new 2170 Cells are marginally larger but have a greater energy density, and the model 3 is well trailed to be based on a powerpack of less than 60 kWh, so still thousands of cells but probably about 30% or so less in number.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Ever wondered whats going on in China?

Well of the top 20 electric vehicles sold in China in 2016,,,the only one I had heard of was the Tesla Model S.

http://evobsession.com/china-electric-c ... -december/

Well BYD Auto won the yearly sales crown, but a strong performance in December by Geely-Auto. (owners of Volvo
and London Taxi Company)

Will the Chinese own brands become household names, or will they buy the existing household names to market their auto's worldwide?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I think BYD are the company who are supplying a batch of electric double-decker 'Routemasters' for TfL to evaluate.
You are right, Neil - there are more EV manufacturers in China than the rest of the world put together, and some of them are certain to become well-known in the West before long. Once upon a time, Japan meant cheap-and-cheerful, and then along came Sony, Panasonic, NHK, Asahi, Fuji, Epson . . . Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi . . . Savin (who?) . . .
Wake up, UK!
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

So even with the $6BN Gigafactory1 not quite fully constructed or operational, where is the next $6bn Tesla Gigafactory2 going to be built?

Somewhere in Europe, and countries in the running so far....Portugal, France, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands and others have produced their own pitches for Tesla to locate “Gigafactory 2” in their country, and Tesla plans to make a decision this year.

No mention of the UK.....sleeping again, or not sunny enough for the solar roof of the factory?

This article from Electrek hints at Lithuania's creative pitch........may appeal directly to Mr Musk....

https://electrek.co/2017/02/02/tesla-gi ... minecraft/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just a few random questions popped up for a bit of googling

Where do you get Lithium from? How much Lithium is there in an electric car battery pack, and if demand rises on the back of global electric vehicle use, is there plenty of the stuff to go round?

Well the answer to one of those questions, may well be one of the reasons Tesla chose Nevada for their Gigafactory1.

Wonder is Tesla will secure their raw materials, by acquisitions in the "element" prospecting and processing business?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I am only offering what I have heard but not seen in writing, firstly there is very little lithium on a world wide scale, it only comes from a few places, secondly, one of the Cornish tin mines is being reopened, apparently to mine for ....... Lithium. On the other hand I hear you can recycle it.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

This little article refers to the Silver Peak "mine" in Nevada-A Lithium Gamble That Could Win Big for Tesla by Katie Fehrenbacher Mar 29, 2016

Nice pic of the post office :-D

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.c ... =80&w=1024

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Has this come up before?

http://www.airbike.eu/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Has this come up before?

http://www.airbike.eu/
Not as far as I know but it's an interesting concept.... Kids will love it but I can't see adults being too keen on it, especially now as proper electric bikes are really getting going...

Brompton, of classic folding bike fame, are soon to release a folding electric bike... There's some deep technical challenges there.
Jim