BX Suspension Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

BX Suspension Help

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

Hi,
I just been given a BX 17 TZD turbo, with 10 days to run on its MOT.
It has two main problems:

1) the side lights and dipped headlights don't work, but the full beam will flash. is this just the console switch ( the push on/of one on the left hand side of the instrument panel) or something else like a relay?
2) the more serious one. the front suspension bounces like a good 'un every time I go over a bump and I mean bounces. does this indicate that the spheres are defunct or again is it something else like the accumlator or pressure relief valve. ( the break pedal also seems stiff ie very little play and needs some pressure to get it to work)
any help would be appreciated.
Jon
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jon,
Welcome to the forum, and the addictive world of Citroen ownership....
1. The lights should be operated by the LH stalk - rotate it forwards to make the lights come on. If you have a push on/off switch on the console somewhere, and no stalk, someone has been butchering it!
2. Hard suspension is almost certainly due to duff spheres - try pushing down on the front wings - if it's solid, the spheres are shot.
3. The brakes should only need a light caress really. Anymore means something is amiss, probably a seized front caliper if it's not been used much.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Hello damnfool, The electrical problem will be caused by one of the causes normal to every car-faulty earth, connection, switch, etc-if the fuses are o.k. then you are going to have to go through the system with a meter to isolate the problem area-good luck, as BX wiring is rubbish!!
It does sound as if your front spheres are flat- they are not hard to change provided you have access to a big chain wrench or hammer and chisel, but does the hydraulic system work properly-does the car go up and down through its full height range? What colour is the LHM fluid- it should be green and clear, if its very dirty then this could cause problems.
The brake pedal should have very little travel, but the brakes should be very sharp, particularly if you are not used to them, and you should only need light pressure on the pedal- do you hear a regular clicking sound from the accumulator, indicating that the sphere is flat?- my bet would be on very dirty LHM as well.
A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

Hi and thanks for the welcome Richard W.
Used to have a BX DTR Turbo in the early 90's which is why I took this one on (I found it very reliable until it got front and rear ended).
1) obviously my memory isn't what it was, as turning the LH stalk switches on the lights! ( I think my logon was more prophetic than I realized!!)
2)ok I'll get them replaced. ( there is little movement when I jump up and down on the front bumper) Has anyone used "Edwards and Sons" in Billercay as they're bouncing distance for me and their website says they do a same day service for the spheres.
3) I'll check the calipers. the brake pedal moves a little then is rock solid and quite a bit of pressure is required to make the brakes work (it's ABS as well BTW).
Also while I'm at it, I remember filling the BX with coolant was a pain due to airlocks anyone got any tips to make it easier for me
Thanks for the Welcome and the quick reply.
Jon
A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

Hi bxbodger.
the LHM is a dark green I think, (can't see that well where its parked so I assume it needs replacing. I think the Hydralics are OK it goes all the way up and down tho its slighty jerky.
am not going to say anything about the elctrics for a while until I stop blushing. tho I am now assuming that the switch on the console is the fog light switch if that's the case whats the switch on the lower RH side sort of under the facia with direction arrows on buttons next to it for?
again thanks for the welcome and quick response
jon the fool
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">whats the switch on the lower RH side sort of under the facia with direction arrows on buttons next to it for?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not got this on mine as its a base model, but I think its for electric mirror adjustment........[:I]
A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">whats the switch on the lower RH side sort of under the facia with direction arrows on buttons next to it for?
Not got this on mine as its a base model, but I think its for electric mirror adjustment........[:I]
the Mirrors are manually adjusted on this one, with the silly handles. the batteries out slow charging at the mo so I can't check what they do but the switch has a light Icon on it. Is it for the front fog lights, or for the front lights?
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

That switch (was) definitely for the mirrors(s). Some modela had electric only on passenger side - so that you (the driver) could adjust easily from drivers seat. You'll find its got a selector for left or right mirror, and then up/down and left/right buttons to control adjustment. Could be original fit was electric mirror(s) but maybe replaced due to damage with manual (lever operated) one(s). Illuminated switch (if present) to the left of this switch is a push on/push off switch for the front fog lights.
A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

Cheers Jack.
The "no its never been in an accident" when I asked is BS then as both wing mirrors are manual. I'll have to find my Haynes destruction manuals for it. It may stop me asking dumb questions in future (tho I doubt it).
jon
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

John
Ask away - I'll feel better, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the patience, goodwill and general helpfulness of forum members. It was reading these posts that made me go out and buy a project BX! Best of luck with it.
Oscar too
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The "no its never been in an accident" when I asked is BS the<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its not neccessarily suspicious, the mirrors don't fold particularly well when hit-it may have been swiped off by a dustcart, its a 13 year old citroen after all and I suppose a manual mirror was put on as its less than half the price of an electric one!!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Hello Damn Fool. Yes my BX 14 had a similar problem with the brakes being hard to press. On mine I traced it down to the rear brake pads being seized in the calipers. It was a case of hammering them out and replacing the pads and disks. This worked wonders. Also you should try bleeding the hydraulics as well as the brakes in a similar way to which you would a normal car. I think you just need to depress the pedal and leave it rather than pump it when you do this but it should say in the haynes manual.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Sometimes the floor mat has slid forward under the brake pedal. It's surprising how well this mimics a fault.
A_Damn_Fool
My Cars:

Post by A_Damn_Fool »

Hi All
Thanks for the advice, looked at the brakes today rear brakes ok ( seem to be the only things stopping the car)
looked at the front calipers quickly and the piston moves in and out and the assembly moves to align the pads but they don't release or move when the brake pedal is pressed but move when the handbrake is applied. anyone any ideas
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Hiya mate. I've used Edwards (the breakers?) for spares before and I must admit I found them pretty expensive, but they were the only people selling the part i needed, so supply and demand I guess!! However they were helpful and there are only Citroëns around the place so I reckon they should be more than competent. I've never had my spheres done at a garage, so I don't know what they should be charing. I'd reccommend having a ring around as front sphere replacement shouldn't be beyond the scope of any experienced mechanic.
all the best