Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

"Sell the benefits, anticipate and overcome objections"

Nissan have taken this theory to heart in their lastest "offer" on new Leafs.....so part of their offer is.....
from https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-v ... omise.html
USE OF PETROL OR DIESEL CAR

YOU want to make extra-long journeys in your car.

NISSAN PROMISE to lend you a petrol or diesel car, free of charge, for up to 14 days during the first three years of ownership. All you pay is the insurance.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What an excellent idea :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Bit like a virtual Hybrid, and an offer which is lkely to cost them next to nothing....pull one of their stock off the forecourt, make a big deal with an insurance provider to cover the scheme and one of the most common objections is crushed.

They could well afford to be even more generous.

Regrds Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: They could well afford to be even more generous.
And no doubt as their sales of Leaves (? - correct plural for more than one Nissan Leaf?) increase as a direct result Im sure they will be...

All a bit of bait really - a sprat to catch a mackerel...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Just out of curiosity I may do bit of googling to see if any research is being done in relation to the use of Capacitors/supercapacitors/ultracapacitors as an energy store for electric vehicles rather than batteries. Advantage may be instant charging, and possibly less environentally damaging materials being used in their construction.

Know absolutely nothing about them at present, but just a snippet of conversation got me curious...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's an interesting subject Neil...

They won't offer instant charging as all capacitors take a finite time to charge and this time is directly related to their capacity (as measured in Farads). This is the basis of all oscillators...

If capacitors could be made to charge instantly then fundamental electronic theory would need to be rewritten!

It's a potential winner. Large capacitors measuring many Farads in value are already used as local reservoirs in very large in-car audio systems... Here they are able to store considerable reserves of energy and supply it quickly as the amplifiers require it .. They may look like bling but their principle is sound.... They are especially good for meeting a sudden transient demand.

I believe one problem currently is to reduce the internal leakage current of very big capacitors so they can hold onto a charge for a long while.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That's an interesting subject Neil....
Well I'm open for a bit of education so the first query on "ultracapacitor" produced this little overview.

http://www.nesscap.com/ultracapacitor/E ... family.jsp

No doubt those at the cutting edge of research are pushing the boundaries further.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

News reports on UK tv this week about Faraday Future, based in California, trying to rival Tesla. Issues with funding (mainly Chinese, it seems) but a lot of work is being done. A lot of catching up to do, but maybe a name to watch. Wikipedia entry, and lots more.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the "Capabus" on the FCF before.

Not bang up to date, information, but China had a working Capabus system on the streets of Shanghai in 2006
Information from this wiki article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capa_vehicle
"Sinautec estimates that one of its buses has one-tenth the energy cost of a diesel bus and can achieve lifetime fuel savings of $200,000. The buses use 40% less electricity even when compared to an electric trolley bus, mainly because they are lighter[citation needed] and have the regenerative braking benefits. The ultracapacitors are made of activated carbon and have an energy density of six watt-hours per kilogram (for comparison a high-performance lithium-ion battery can achieve 200 watt-hours per kilogram, but the ultracapacitor bus is about 40% cheaper than a lithium-ion battery bus and far more reliable)"
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

As the Wikipedia article says, a combination of ultracapacitors (which can rapidly accept available charge) and improved batteries should prove an interesting combination.
Hopefully, the distraction of IC hybrids can be kicked into touch.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

again not bang up to date but a decent enough account from 2015
from
http://www.rdmag.com/article/2015/10/wi ... qus_thread
....A detailed look at ultracapacitors and batteries in electric vehicles
".....Ultracapacitors are good partners for lithium-ion batteries and other high-energy-density storage technologies. The two can be connected in parallel to create combined power supply units. Due to load leveling, ultracapacitors can significantly expand battery life and improve safety. In an electric car, for example, an ultracapacitor can provide the power needed for acceleration, while a battery provides range and recharges the ultracapacitor between surges.....
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

So, the Ultracapacitor in a traction motor system, providing a reserve of power for rapid acceleration, is doing exactly the same as it does in a high-power in-car audio system. It all makes good sense...

This is getting interesting...

I must study this further when I have a bit of time; something I have none of at the moment sadly...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A selection of upcoming electric cars - CNN

The Swedish one is what's left of SAAB :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

More on the Faraday Future.
NewcastleFalcon

Quite a range of exotic creations on that gallery Steve.

For me I would be more excited about a genuine electric "Model T", "Volkswagen", or "Mini" genuinely cheap enough in its basic form to accelerate the pace of change.

I have no desire to get from 0-60 in 2.7 seconds now, 12-15 would be quite fast enough :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey