Most Interesting Car For Under A Grand?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Most Interesting Car For Under A Grand?

Post by Zelandeth »

This is a topic which has come up recently on another forum I'm on, and has given rise to some interesting ideas and discussion, so I'm shamelessly borrowing it and dragging it over here.

Particularly interesting is how different people define what constitutes an "interesting" car...also how shocked some folks seem to be at how far out of this budget a lot of cars that many people assumed would still be common as mud now are!

It's just for fun and isn't a "I plan to go out tomorrow and buy..." type thread.

So...You've got a grand to spend (ish...we're not picky here), what's the most *interesting* thing you reckon you can get with it? Doesn't have to be the fastest, most powerful, most reliable or anything...just something that you reckon is really interesting in some way.

I found it really hard to just pick out one...

So...my starters:

Fiat Coupe. Drop dead looks, and in the case of the 5-pot turbo version, performance to match. You'll have to shop around now to get a 20v one under a grand, but you can probably *just about* pull it off if you shop around. Has got to be a bright colour though, preferably the bright blue or yellow - not least so the body colour bit of the dashboard contrasts against the rest of the interior in a suitable manner.

Renault 25. Let's face it, because it's the most comfortable car I've ever been in...and even though they're getting rare now still don't seem to be fetching much. They were a bit of a left-field luxobarge even when new...nowadays a lot of folks don't even know what they are when they see one. Bonus points if it's a Monaco...

Ford Puma. Looks like nothing else on the road, and has to be one of the nicest handling little go-karts I've ever had the chance to drive, and not lacking in power as far as the real world is concerned. The only complaint I had at the time was that the lovely milled aluminium gear knob wasn't half cold on a December morning! They look to be right at the bottom of the depreciation curve right now, and if you're patient you can get a decent one for £500...just beware that they're as prone to rust as the Ka and Focus of the era seemed to be. I'd probably go out and get myself one right now to be honest if I had the driveway space...Pretty sure that they're going to be considered a classic in a few years.

There were quite a few I originally had on this list that I had to cut back on account of them having climbed in value in the last few years, so being well over budget now!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Most Interesting Car For Under A Grand?

Post by CitroJim »

I bought a very interesting Xantia for well under a grand recently Zel ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd put an Activa on that list but the chances of getting one for under a grand now is remote... One that almost works anyway!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Very true Jim!

You'll be glad to know that over on the original forum I found this topic on that I did put a vote in for the Xantia in general as well - as I reckon it really is an interesting car, and one that you don't really get a full measure of how capable one it really is as a all rounder until you've lived with one for a while.

Activa I did mention - because everyone should drive one on a good road at least once I think - but with the proviso that anyone considering one did some reading up beforehand and knew exactly what they were getting themselves into!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

I just picked up a Pluriel for well under a grand. Just for that reason: interesting and curious what it is like exactly. Needs some work which is also what I'm looking forward to and for the money it's worth a try ....
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

WHY is the Pluriel so badly valued, soft top small cars that convert the roof like they do should be worth more ??....confused by their low value ?
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 12 Jan 2017, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I've always had a soft spot for the Pug 205 especially an auto and good ones can still be picked up for silly money.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In homage to the what do you know about Norfolk thread, I'll put up a couple of examples which did go for under £1,000 at the Anglia Car Auctions last sale.....

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/c ... nvertible/

it's a Peugeot 205 convertible £300 :!: :-D ...silly money as mentioned above.

Also Volvo 760 estate,and Renault 5 automatic came under the limit.

regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Mine would be a great long list...

Ford Sierra had 2 and thought they drove really well for rear wheel drive.
Old Volvo like the 240/245 and 740 especially the estates.
Renault 25 as said above, like the styling inside.
90's Toyota Celica, love the shape with the twin head lights.
Vauxhall Carlton mk2.
Pug 205.

Would love another Pug 405 Mi16 was one of the fastest cars I had in my 20's.

Love all the old big cars like the Honda Legend etc....dam it of to eBay for my monthly look and add to watch list and dream.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

If you want luxurious bang-for-your-buck, search for the mid-late 90s top end Lexus models - especially the LS400. I keep being tempted. Yes, externally they just look like a big Toyota, but the sheer quality of the engineering and level to which everything has been thought out is almost otherworldly. Don't half shift either with that V8 up front...

Know a gent who's had an early LS400 since it was a couple of years old, and in well over 150K miles of motoring the only thing he's had to do other than routine servicing and consumables has been to replace the LCD screen for the air-con controls...

Yes...Potential to bankrupt you if something does go bang...but with how cheap you can pick them up, I keep being tempted.
Current fleet:
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Most Interesting Car For Under A Grand?

Post by mickeymoon »

Stickyfinger wrote:WHY is the Pluriel so badly valued, soft top small cars that convert the roof like they do should be worth more ??....confused by their low value ?
I like them but I'm told by those that know that they're wallet-ruiningly expensive if the roof mech goes - I was told this by a friend who's a Citroen indy who was selling one, and I was interested in it.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Ford Cougar V6, nice motor. Lovely engine too. Bit bland.
As Zel - Ford Puma, brilliant car.
Activa or V6 Xantia
ZX TD Volcane
C5 V6 MK1
BMW 328i 1996-98 model
BMW 5-Series - 535i especially

Any amount of big engined German tin - E430 V8 for example.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Peugeot 406 Hdi, you can get two for less than a grand, nice to drive and last forever.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

mickeymoon wrote:Ford Cougar V6, nice motor. Lovely engine too. Bit bland.
As Zel - Ford Puma, brilliant car.
Activa or V6 Xantia..NOT a chance these days if it works, maybe a wreck V6 which will not last long
ZX TD Volcane
C5 V6 MK1
BMW 328i 1996-98 model
BMW 5-Series - 535i especially

Any amount of big engined German tin - E430 V8 for example.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Really? There's no Xantia apart from yours, Jim's and David H's that anyone in their right mind would pay over a grand for. Not one. I might stretch to a grand for DavieMck one too.

I've had 2 V6s. One was perfect. I paid £450 for it... the other was "ok" but the AC didn't work.. £400....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk