Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg-Vinyl month-There's a Hacker in the Snug!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Now this is another decca series which I just about recall
Yet another Decca series - this time, tapping into the potential of stereo sound for easy listening and light classical releases. These are the UK issues. Compilations and samplers are at the end of the list

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/harlou123/phase-4-stereo/
A couple of lively selections from the list to put the new retro equipment through its paces :-D :!:

The bongo is much underrated...

..and who doesn't like a bit of oompah :!:

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Jan 2017, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Now this is another decca series which I just about recall
Yet another Decca series - this time, tapping into the potential of stereo sound for easy listening and light classical releases. These are the UK issues. Compilations and samplers are at the end of the list

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/harlou123/phase-4-stereo/

I was curious about this Phase 4 Stereo so I looked it up... Wikipedia article

I well remember the 'gimmick' demo records of ordinary stereo that made sounds move around the room... Some early mono to stereo remixes of classic tracks also over-emphasised the stereo effect with vocals in one channel and instruments in the other...

And I recall well quadraphonic in the 70s. One of the engineers at the TV workshop has a quadraphonic Radiomobile 8-track in his Zephyr 6.... He had a few prog rock quadraphonic cartridges, one being the Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon :D

It was magical in quadraphonic...

I was keen then to get into it myself but my meagre pocket money never stretched to building a 4 channel amp and speakers, buying a suitable cartridge for my Garrard SP25 record deck and buying the necessary records to play so it forever remained a dream.

Interestingly, the wiki article mentions the Hafler Circuit... These could make a kind of quadraphonic sound from a stereo source and indeed a kind of very poor stereo from a mono source...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Quadrophonic is early 4 speaker surround sound for anyone else thats about to look it up. Seems to be more aimed at music lovers than the modern Dolby equivalents.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Quadrophonic is early 4 speaker surround sound for anyone else thats about to look it up. Seems to be more aimed at music lovers than the modern Dolby equivalents.
Well put James, definitely aimed at high fidelity music reproduction and never for film/TV soundtracks...

How they did 4 channels on a 12" vinyl disc and still make it fully playable with normal stereo (or even mono) equipment was very clever..

Quadraphonic 8-track cartridges were incompatible with normal stereo 8-track players...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Sounds intriguing, Dark Side of The Moon comes from every direction anyway on a good stereo. It would be amazing to be immersed in it with a Quadrophonic system.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Sounds intriguing, Dark Side of The Moon comes from every direction anyway on a good stereo. It would be amazing to be immersed in it with a Quadrophonic system.
It is awesome James. 45 years since I've heard it like that and I can still remember it very clearly... It made an impression on me :-D

Is it really that long ago? yes it bloody is :shock:
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

No wonder I had to look it up, predates me by 12years!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Now is anyone going to admit to having one of "The World of...." series of Long Players in their collection......here's the archetypal "World of..." record as a memory jogger.

Regards Neil
YES !!! I will :-D
I have number 217 in the catalogue - The World Of TV Themes
Please don't hate me for it :rofl2:

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Now is anyone going to admit to having one of "The World of...." series of Long Players in their collection......here's the archetypal "World of..." record as a memory jogger.

Regards Neil
YES !!! I will :-D
I have number 217 in the catalogue - The World Of TV Themes
Please don't hate me for it :rofl2:
Not at all, we'll put that on the Hacker in the snug, and see if any of the punters show their age by joining in :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Knew someone would mention 8-track!

...Yep, I have that represented here as well, albeit not currently connected. This will be returning to the hi-fi stack once I have it set up in its new shelving properly...

Contrary to what a lot of folks seem to think, they don't actually sound half bad. Not as good as a decently mastered vinyl, but still pretty good, and no where near as good as I deserving the kicking it often seems to get.

There's a reel-to-reel recorder tucked away upstairs as well - albeit a very basic machine (Grundig TK-14), and in need of a new belt. Don't have any other obscure formats though. ...Yet.
Last edited by Zelandeth on 05 Jan 2017, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Not at all, we'll put that on the Hacker in the snug, and see if any of the punters show their age by joining in :!: :-D

Regards Neil
It'll be interesting to hear the combined voices of The Pickled Egg choir doing their rendition of The Onedin Line, or perhaps the theme from The Sky At Night :shock: :lol:
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:

Regards Neil
It'll be interesting to hear the combined voices of The Pickled Egg choir doing their rendition of The Onedin Line, or perhaps the theme from The Sky At Night :shock: :lol:
Once the special reserve absinthe comes out, it should be no problem to hit some of the right notes...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I can be certain of hitting the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I can't even come close to hitting the right notes. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket :lol:
elma

Post by elma »

I may need a little help with 8 track. I get reel to reel, although I thought it was just a band before I read Zels post. It's an old cassette, like an audio Beta-max. Beta Max is actually the oldest technology I remember of these kind of things as my friends Dad had one.

8 track I think is an enclosed cassette with an 80 minute duration. It took the faff out of reel to reel as the rollers etc are in the tape rather than the player and so the user doesn't have to weave the tape through the machine. I believe it was a stereo format and 80mins was approximately time for 8 songs so 8 track. Am I close?