Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg-Vinyl month-There's a Hacker in the Snug!

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote:Jim, a close relative to the valve set here which sees the most regular use - Bush VHF71 in my case.

Small world isn't it...
I'm a great fan of Bush sets Zel and have a number of them. Back in the day they were some of the very best quality you could get. I have two of the 71's big sisters in regular daily use...

The VHF64. They are magnificent and cost 59 Guineas in the late 50s. A very expensive set.

My favourite is my Pye Fenman II, the best you could buy in the 50s. It sounds awesome. It was one of the early VHF sets and has four speakers...

Mine cost me a fiver but it was in a bit of a state...

FM tuner duties are served with a Leak Troughline Stereo

And my amp is a Leak Stereo 30 which uses early germanium transistors and sounds very 'valvey' and gorgeous...

And finally, my CD player is a very early Philips CD160... It's quite new - 1985 vintage...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure it was here when you and John dropped in Jim.
Long story behind it but short version is we went to Richer Sounds to buy some Mission speakers for my daughter, never reached Richer's and spent £3,500 instead of £60.

It's all good though :)
The shop owner was a very nice guy and despite some initial sarcastic comments from me offered to lend me a £50,000 Quad valve + electrostatics kit 'just to listen to' knowing full well I would never have been able to let it go once in my clutches. Had to decline :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, now you say I believe it was Steve... It's a heck of a bit of kit...

50 grand for a stereo system though, that's got to be the most expensive ever even given it's a Quad system...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not really, that is bargain basement compared to some of them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Not really, that is bargain basement compared to some of them.
What???? You mean you can pay more than that :shock:
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Very easily
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Nice Pye set that Jim. Imagine two of the speakers (on the sides I'm guessing) at that era will be electrostatic tweeters?

Just remembered that I do have a bigger Bush set floating around here somewhere...AC11 if memory serves, but while I know it's about somewhere...I haven't actually seen it in a while so I'm not quite sure where it is!

...This is why I really need to re-home some of them!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I know what you mean Zel, I have Bush VHF81s all over the house and attic!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thats what I like to see...the Pickled Egg lively with chatter! :-D ...just like a real pub!

Some great looking "gear". Rather than have old audio equipment as decorative items, curiosities, and object d'art, the PE is unique in having stuff that actually works and can be enjoyed!

and as for the Vinyl....super confession from Bobins......Its not the classics in your collection, but the why on earth did I buy that items, that sometimes provide the best entertainment.

Now is anyone going to admit to having one of "The World of...." series of Long Players in their collection......here's the archetypal "World of Mantovani.." record as a memory jogger.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

.....just found this Decca Record catalogue from the very early days of decimilisation..not just for the music lover but a bonus for the cash register connoisseur :)

Oh and here's one from "The World of Series" (Val Dooncan) which accompanied our first family radiogram

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 17:43, edited 3 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I remember those cash registers very well indeed.

94p was a lot of money in the early 70s... Can't work out how much that would be in today's money but definitely significant...

In context, I used to earn £3 a week when working in our local Radio and TV workshop as a schoolboy in the early 70s... Therefore three LPs a week!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

3 LP's a week, bet you thought you were rolling in it at the time Jim! :-D

.....again "Decca's World of....." series has been nicely catalogued here. Mantovani was the first and Val Doonican the 3rd...we had them both!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/harlou123 ... a_records/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: .....again "Decca's World of....." series has been nicely catalogued here. Mantovani was the first and Val Doonican the 3rd...we had them both!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/harlou123 ... a_records/
Wow! there's some real crackers in there Neil :D The World of Jimmy Young is in the list no less :)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just done a rough check and 94p in 1972 would have been not far short of a tenner in today's money...

So by and large, the cost of albums has really been pretty static for the last 45 years in real terms...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My LP collection was left in a plastic box in the conservatory, I didn't have a deck for years, found an old Amstrad music system for a tenner in the school jumble sale, tried the disks most were buckled badly out of shape, some scratched to hell.
So I have a Micki & Griff, The Strauss Family, Nat King Cole, Hank Williams life story, Revived 45s, Nat, Dean & Friends, and a 45 of Barbara & Neil (You don't bring me flowers).

All of which are just about playable. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.