Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg-Vinyl month-There's a Hacker in the Snug!

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote:This ...
.... is what i'm trying to keep on the road [emoji6]

Been going to chuck it for the past 30 plus years. Knew it would come in handy one day. What goes around comes around as they say.
That's gorgeous :D

If you chuck it, chuck it my way ;)

I love it and would happily give it a very good home...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Lets have a recommendation then please, I'm far too young for valves and totally stereo less at the moment. I would normally just go buy the first acceptable cheap amp and speakers I came across first over the next few months. I'd like to consider an old valve stereo now though, maybe even just a little wireless to fill up the caravan. What sort of things should I keep my eye out for?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

1980/90 NAD amps

And ALWAYS spend on speakers before anything else. They should also be stand mounted (heavy and metal)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:1980/90 NAD amps
They can blow up in spectacular ways but easily repaired by a skilled engineer... Otherwise excellent...

Stickyfinger wrote:And ALWAYS spend on speakers before anything else. They should also be stand mounted (heavy and metal)
Oh yes, most definitely :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:1980/90 NAD amps
repaired by a skilled engineer... Otherwise excellent...
You will enjoy working on my one then Jim :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma

Post by elma »

Are the Nads valve?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And do not skimp on the speaker cable. I have seen (and heard) what happens when somebody gets a great amplifier, awesome speakers, and bog standard cable (especially if it is near to mains wiring!). Some decent speaker wire (and a better route) and the equipment then really got going.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have as my 'best' CD player a Shanling CD-T 100 that has valve amplification.

They also do a nice range of valve amps.
I won't be buying one as I am quite happy with my Electrocompaniet pre-power kit that sounds quite 'valvy' anyway.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Tabletop radios are worth relatively little unless you start looking at really early stuff or a couple of oddly desirable models (Bush DAC90 immediately springs to mind) which change hands for silly money.

I've probably got a dozen tucked away waiting attention one day at the moment, and not one has cost me more than a fiver. Expect to do some recommissioning work though, which in the vast majority of cases is limited to electrical safety sanity checks (I.e. checking the wiring is in good order, that Billy The Bodger hasn't done something horrific in the past, and that where applicable the appropriate metalwork is earthed), and capacitor replacements. The occasional resistor or pot might need swapping too, but in terms of valves themselves they are actually astonishingly reliable unless physically damaged and I don't think I've changed more than half a dozen across all the radios and TVs I've worked on.

As far as stereo kit goes, a very good way to get good gear if you're not dead set on a valve amp is just keep an eye out for mid range kit from the 70s to late 80s. My Pioneer amp cost me £20 from Cash Convertors, an early 90s Kenwood system (remember the one with the black and gold colour scheme?) which was originally worth well over a grand was £35 at an auction including the speakers, and if you have a poke around on ebay, Gumtree etc you'll find bargains. Especially if you can find one local to you that's collection only. Now there will be a plethora of kit with silly buy it now prices - but do a search for completed listings and take a look at what actually sold for what to get a better idea.

Here I'm running a Pioneer SA-610 amp, Sanyo TP-M15 turntable, DAD-M15 CD Player (tuner and tape deck to match, though they're in storage at present), playing through a pair of Pioneer CS-585 floor standing speakers handed down from my granddad, augmented with a Frankenstein's Monster of automotive sub running off a butchered PC power supply which helps fill in the low end - and is set up in such a way that you don't realise it's even there unless you turn it off. Speaker cable is just heavyweight stuff from Mapping, thankfully I don't have any issues with mains pickup or anything so I haven't needed to faff about with shielding or anything.

It's nothing really special, but sounds the part and never fails to impress folks when they encounter it for the first time. ... Especially when they are shown what a big sub can actually do other than vibrate the trim panels off a Vauxhall Corsa!

Will upload a photo or two in a sec.

Actual valve era hi-fi kit though is likely to command a far higher pricetag unless luck is really on your side...I've no experience to offer there simply because I've never been able to afford anything like that.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma

Post by elma »

That Shanling is very Sci fi, I love it.

I think I'm looking for a valve amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers or a valve wireless (tabletop)
I do not have room for normal speakers which is why my Missions are staying in the lock up and my amp needs a repair anyway so I might as well replace it and repair later as it's far too big and powerful for a static caravan.

I'll be touring the antique, junk and charity shops but I really don't know what I'm looking at yet. Maybe I should go to one of those vintage wireless fairs Jim enjoys so I can have a bit of a guided tour before I spend any money. Speaking of which I'd like something for pocket money that I can restore, I find it more satisfying and it'll be a long wait for anything pricey.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Here's my setup. The shelves it's sitting on just now are temporary, which is also why the CD deck isn't actually wired up just now - we only unearthed the room just before Christmas! I wanted music available over the Festive period though, so lashed things together temporarily.

Amp & turntable...sorry for the photo quality...brushed aluminium is really hard to photograph!

First generation CD deck. This thing weighs about as much as a small car...

The repurposed automotive subwoofer (only ended up with this because my local motor factor had a stupidly good deal on a whole kit rather than the speakers I was after at the time!). The "Hazard" switch which is its power control is rather appropriate I reckon (it's actually the hazard light switch from a 1978 Volvo 240).

Will drop you a PM James, may well be able to find something in the way of a tabletop valve radio in my stores that might suit you as a starting point for that side of things at least...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, that's a heck of a CD deck!!!

Zel, lovely set-up :)

Yes, valve-era audio stuff goes for eye-watering money. The old (but gorgeous) Leak and Quad amps can easily command four figures...
elma wrote: Maybe I should go to one of those vintage wireless fairs Jim enjoys so I can have a bit of a guided tour before I spend any money.
Come to NVCF with me in May James ;)

There you will find wirelesses, amps and lots else besides, including vinyl...

As a good starter valve wireless you could do a lot worse than a Bush VHF81. They are common and still very cheap...

They sound excellent when well sorted and offer very good VHF/FM reception.

I have a few here and use it's bakelite sibling, the VHF80, on a daily basis in my kitchen...

Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Jim, a close relative to the valve set here which sees the most regular use - Bush VHF71 in my case.

Small world isn't it...
Current fleet:
elma

Post by elma »

Zel that would be massively appreciated if you can find anything suitable, thank you.

Jim I'm in for NVCF and looking forward to it greatly.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
bobins wrote: Ooooh - that brings back memories :).....I've got 1500+ vinyl discs to go and rediscover now :-D
Does your 1500 include any of the "Hot Hits" , or "Top of the Pops" compilation of covers by session musicians, some of whom did go on to make a name for themselves. I think I'll donate "Hot Hits 1" to get the party started!

If like me you do like to wallow in a bit of nostaglia, as you might expect there's someone who has kindly catalogued them for us :-D

Regards Neil
'Fraid that's not in my collection, but these beauties are :rofl2:

If it pleases the court, I'd like for several dozen other offences to be taken into consideration. :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(