The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:My wife has been reading the last book (I believe) in the Herriot series, its a biography by his son Jim Wight, The Real James Herriot, its called, it was published in '99 and it is a good history of not only his father but other characters in the series.
That's definitely worth a good read Peter... I love books like that :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have just received "Five on Brexit Island" which I will enjoy.....especially seeing the use of Eileen Soper's original illustrations.

and another deposit for the Library as recommended by Peter

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've just read the Ladybird 'Mid-Life Crisis' book...

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/291382/ ... fe-crisis/

I howled from start to end...

Page 36 is quite poignant for me...

The authors have some great qualifications...

J A Hazeley is an N.F.S.W, and J P Morris is an O.M.G.

:rofl2:

Now to read 'The Shed'
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My girls bought me this for Christmas and I'd like to deposit another copy into the PE Library....

They know exactly what appeals to me ;)

I'm hooked on it already and I don't see me doing much else today but solving the puzzles...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote:My girls bought me this for Christmas and I'd like to deposit another copy into the PE Library....

They know exactly what appeals to me ;)

I'm hooked on it already and I don't see me doing much else today but solving the puzzles...
The line on the front cover almost sounds like a challenge. I like the sound of that book. Gloves are off Jim, you vs our greatest cyphers. Good luck.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I’ve spent most of the afternoon stuck in that book :D It is addictive... Very...

Loving it :D
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: Image
Do the light coloured letters on the cover constitute a (perhaps undisclosed) puzzle as well ? :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: Do the light coloured letters on the cover constitute a (perhaps undisclosed) puzzle as well ? :)
Knowing how subtle a lot of the puzzles are inside I'd not be at all surprised....

That book is so addictive... I expect rehabilitation centres to spring up soon to treat those who have become so addicted their normal lives have been seriously disrupted...

I'm also reading this at the moment. Possibly one of the best technical books on the breaking of the Lorenz SZ40/42 Geheimschreiber (Secret Writer) cypher machine...

It goes into deep technical detail of how the machine was broken and how Colossus worked to help the decryption process...

Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have only read two series of books since I left school, (which was some time ago) one was the aforementioned James Herriot series, the other three books written by Derec Longden. I had never heard of him until one of his books was serialised on 'Woman's Hour' which used to be at about 2.0 pm each day, I was usually out and about round the country lanes working when it was on and it became compulsive listening, I could be seen driving round with tears streaming down my face such was the wit and humour.

The first book was called 'Diana's Story' and was about his wife who was seriously ill and declining, the combination of empathy and humour was spot on.

The second was Called 'Lost for words' and was about his mother who was suffering from dementia but again the balance was spot on. This one will probably be known to many as it was made into a TV film with Thora Hird playing his mother and I think Jim Broadbent playing Derek.

The only other one I know of was 'The cat that came in from the cold' which was equally funny.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

A domestic Tilley lamp has made it to Picture of the day, but there was also an "industrial" side. Lovers of the Tilley Lamp may find some interest in the collection of pictures and information in this link duly deposited in the PE reference section....

The Terence Marsh Lantern Gallery

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/tille ... lamps.html

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Love it Neil :D

The other great thing about a Tilley Lamp was they gave heat as well as light. Two for one!!!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

To revive the Ladybird books - I got two of these for Christmas, one from second and one from third daughter.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:D
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I gave that one to the grandmother of my godchildren, as well as the one about the cat.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

As trailed on the "Electric Cars..etc" thread the latest deposit, in the "limited appeal" section of the PE Library is this..

United States Securities and Exchange Commission Form 10-K-Tesla Motors Inc. fiscal year ended Decenber 31st 2014

Loads of detail about Tesla. The Landlord has had a quick flick through in case there was something to be learned about globalisation of the brand , or convincing investors to part with large volumes of cash, which could be useful for "The Pickled Egg"'s own market domination ambitions.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey