Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:It was more of a personal preference of the cyclists involved rather than a budgetary issue.
That makes a lot of sense... Especially for a proper pro who will have definite preferences...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Now this doesn't look like a method of "refuelling" battery vehicles that is going to work on a big scale...

Quite a good wiki page on charging stations. Found the section on "battery swapping" interesting including this snippet
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station
The concept of an exchangeable battery service was first proposed as early as 1896, in order to overcome the limited operating range of electric cars and trucks. It was first put into practice between 1910 and 1924, by Hartford Electric Light Company, through the GeVeCo battery service, and was initially available for electric trucks. The vehicle owner purchased the vehicle, without a battery, from General Vehicle Company (GeVeCo), part-owned by General Electric,[42] and the electricity was purchased from Hartford Electric through the use of an exchangeable battery. Both vehicles and batteries were modified to facilitate a fast battery exchange. The owner paid a variable per-mile charge and a monthly service fee to cover maintenance and storage of the truck. During the period of the service, the vehicles covered more than 6 million miles.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The new year has already seen its first conversion on the FCF

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:The new year has already seen its first conversion on the FCF

Regards Neil

:rofl2: And infinitely rechargeable too :wink:

No electricity needed, just cakes and flapjacks :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:The new year has already seen its first conversion on the FCF

Regards Neil

:rofl2: And infinitely rechargeable too :wink:

No electricity needed, just Baked beans and Brussels sprouts :-D
FTFY
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: FTFY
:rofl2: :rofl2:

Jet powered! Funnily enough I'm having Brussels for dinner tonight ;)

The amount of beans I eat (not of the tinned and baked variety) I should be able to generate enough thrust to go supersonic...

For me they're an excellent source of protein...
Jim

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

In the 1950s, mains electricity hadn't come to our rural hamlet so our wireless depended on a trio of glass-cased, 6V, lead-acid 'accumulators'. One being charged at the electrical shop in the village 3 miles away, one waiting to be used/charged, one in use. Every week, my mother would take a flat one in the front basket of her bicycle to the shop and bring back a re-charged one with the shopping - in those days, the grocer, green-grocer, butcher, baker, fish-monger, etc all had 'van rounds' so there was no need for her to transport lots of shopping. If you (or a kind neighbour) had a telephone, orders could be placed for next-, or even same-, day delivery. Provided you were a good customer, delivery was free.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote:in those days, the grocer, green-grocer, butcher, baker, fish-monger, etc all had 'van rounds' so there was no need for her to transport lots of shopping. If you (or a kind neighbour) had a telephone, orders could be placed for next-, or even same-, day delivery. Provided you were a good customer, delivery was free.
I can just remember those 'van rounds' as a little boy... Most of them really were little shops on wheels. I particularly remember the ironmonger's van with its large paraffin tank used to dispense into customers supplied containers... The tap for which looked like one you'd normally see on a water butt...

Amazing how today the 'van round' is definitely back with us except the essential difference is that one van now carries everything and delivery is not always free.
Jim

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

How could I have forgotten the iron-monger's 'van'? The one that visited us was coach-built (probably pre-war) and the tap on the paraffin tank was a proper brass one with a little drip-tin suspended from it. Paraffin was the essential fuel for lighting - mostly Aladdin wick-type lamps though our principal light was from a Tilley pressure table lamp, carried carefully from kitchen to sitting room after supper. I still have the Tilley in full working order, and with all the necessary accessories. It hasn't been pressed into service since January 1981, but it might well be needed again.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: Paraffin was the essential fuel for lighting - mostly Aladdin wick-type lamps though our principal light was from a Tilley pressure table lamp, carried carefully from kitchen to sitting room after supper.
And heating too when I was a kid... Fond memories of Tilley lamps and various types of paraffin heaters...

I only need a whiff of paraffin fumes to be instantly transported back 50 years :D Sometimes the 1.9TD smells a bit of paraffin and I live it!

Dad and I used to take a Tilley lamp when night sea fishing and a Primus stove for making tea and cooking on... I used to use a Primus for heating up motor bike chain grease too... The stuff in a big round tin you melted over a stove and bathed the chain in it...

I guess that's all very obsolete now. These days I lube my bike chains with clever high-tech 'dry' lubricants...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The smell of a paraffin heater always reminds me of being in the air raid shelter with German bombers overhead. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ford getting serious about electric vehicles ? (Or at least talking the talk...)

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/01/for ... -cop-cars/
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Solar power getting cheaper and predicted to be cheaper than coal generation within a decade ?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-to-solar
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mandrake wrote:Solar power getting cheaper and predicted to be cheaper than coal generation within a decade ?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-to-solar
This is interesting too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38391034
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: This is interesting too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38391034
Especially if you enjoy a bit of baking!!!

Seriously though, that's a good start to the solution to a big problem...
Jim