Daytime running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sunderas
My Cars: 2009 Citroën C5 Exclusive 2.0 Hdi

Daytime running lights

Post by Sunderas »

I've ransacked the below picture from somewhere on these forums and I need some help from you guys. (Sorry OP) :-D

My daylight driving lights have never come on. Is there any option in the car to activate/deactivate these? Or shall I deduce immediately that either the fuse or the bulbs are busted?
If I need to replace these I have 2 further questions:
1- Are they easily accessible? (I'm used to Ford's usual easy access)
2- Can they be replaced by a LED alternative since the original replacements are plain robbery? If so do they have to be Cam-Bus corrected?

As we are in the subject of lights, the rest of the lights should have no problem to use LED (as my C5 does not warn you of busted bulbs), but what about the blinkers?
I used to have an old Fiesta that when one of the blinkers went out the other would flash faster. The other lights would not influence any faster blinking but a busted blinker would.

Thank you all for your help.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 14 Jan 2022, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photobucket Ad removed - link no longer available
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Daytime running lights

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have you checked the menu ( car stopped, press right hand wheel button, check lighting configuration to see if you have daytime running light option in menu. If not, it will need activating via a Lexia, but the bulbs are there and it will work once activated.

I only bothered replacing my drl bulbs when one of my HP24 bulbs blew. I then changed with LEDs, but you do need to do some work first on preparing the bulb holder.

Don't use LEDs in any of the other front headlights, they wont be legal. Indicators are plenty bright and the only decent LEDs for this type are expensive as they have to light and blink correctly, so a waste of time replacing these. I'll try and dig out my post on the DRLs.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You can turn drl bulbs on and off via the steering wheel controls. I turned mine off a few months ago because one stopped working. According to Citroen it's a front bumper off job to change them but members on the forum have managed to do it from under the bonnet. Also there's a posting on using replacement LEDs in the original bulb holders.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the DRLs are not shown in the menu options then they will (as Marc has said) need to be enabled by use of a Lexia (they are physically there, but the ECU is 'ignorant' of them). Once this has been done they will show up in the relevant menu. I did this for a new member a few months ago.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sunderas wrote:I've ransacked the below picture from somewhere on these forums and I need some help from you guys. (Sorry OP) :-D
1- Are they easily accessible? (I'm used to Ford's usual easy access)
2- Can they be replaced by a LED alternative since the original replacements are plain robbery? If so do they have to be Cam-Bus corrected?
Thank you all for your help.
Right, here's the post I was referring to:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 15#p464087

The issues you will have are:
a) There aren't as yet to my knowledge any direct replacement LEDs for the non-standard HP24W. As you can see from the pictures in my link, you will have to retain the original bulb holders and carefully modify them to take an LED with the long pronged wires, without damaging it.
b) Getting them out - If they have never been out of the bulb housing (very likely) then they can be a bu**er to free. There is slightly more room on the Halogen headlights to work than models like mine with Xenon headlamps - although still tight as a crab's a**se. I had to get the main dealer to retrieve the bulbs for me with partial bumper removal. I then managed to grease them up, do the conversion and modification myself and refit them with my own mod to make it easier to get them out again.

My guess is, the bulbs are fine but are not activated - as at new, for earlier X7s, the law did not require DRLs, so although fitted, they just didn't activate them by default. When I activated mine, I guess I had about a year before one of the bulbs blew, so that is when I went and did the LED conversion. Lots of research has been done on a suitable LED replacement, that provides enough light, so the ones I have used are about the best light output you will get.

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

my 2009 car had them and they were deactivated when I got it.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

GiveMeABreak -> Thank you for your info and ideas, but I think that I will adventure through the replacement of the DRLs for leds when I either have a absurd abundance of time or feel bored out of my mind. :D
Your car ended up looking really smart.
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

Does anyone have anything against replacing the rear lights with LED ones? I've seen some from Sylvania/Osram that can be a direct replacement as easy as bolting a new bulb and done.
Has anyone have any thoughts about it?

What about the blinkers for the car? Would I need Can-Bus bulbs to avoid hyperflashing?

Thank you!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Glad you like them. Once the bulbs have been off once and the threads of the holders greased they should be easier to do again on future. Still going strong since I did them!

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sunderas wrote:Does anyone have anything against replacing the rear lights with LED ones? I've seen some from Sylvania/Osram that can be a direct replacement as easy as bolting a new bulb and done.
Has anyone have any thoughts about it?

What about the blinkers for the car? Would I need Can-Bus bulbs to avoid hyperflashing?

Thank you!
It's a topic of some debate regarding LEDs for the rear. I personally wouldn't have these as they can be too bright and cause distraction to rear drivers.

I have only replaced my reversing lights with LEDs as there was more light coming out of a gnat's arse than with the original bulbs! I was happy to do this as they are only used for reversing and I live in the country where there aren't any street lights where we are. You should always get CAN bus LEDs as these tend to have resistors built in to stop flashing. The C5 doesn't have a bulb out warning system, but will get the 'flashes' if the load isn't right.

Marc
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

In my case, since I bought the car used and didn't know what had happened with the DRLs, they didn't work, although I had checked the option in the menu. Turned out, one of them was burned and the other must have been slightly dislodged, so none of them lit up. At that time (about 2 years ago) there wasn't any LED of decent luminocity (600-800lms) so I bought two new original HP24W from the dealer. You can remove/install them yourself, you just need a T40, some gum (in order to avoid having the bulb falling inside the engine bay) and small and/or delicate hands.

Nowadays however, there are several G4 CREE LEDs with adequate luminocity (>650lms), in order to replace the stock bulbs. Like GiveMeABreak said, you need to remove the bulbs, undo the bulb from the holder, install the LED, and reinstall the assembly onto the headlight. Be sure to check the length of the LED, usually the seller indicates whether the LED will fit into the C5 X7's headlight.

And yes, it's always a good idea to get CanBus "error-free" LEDs, because otherwise you will probably end up with either malfunctioning DRLs (flashing, strobing, not lighting up etc) or non-functioning at all. Same goes for every LED you want to install in the C5 X7, always go for the canbus versions ;)
Sunderas

Post by Sunderas »

Ok, so my DRLs were just turned off in the car controls. I had to have the parking break on. The one on the right come on but the other one either burned out or it is not completely connected, so I turned them off again as it was plain rubbish to have one.
I think I'll go over the possibility of a LED replacement if I get enough time on my hands.

As for the back bulbs anyone has a schematics of the bulbs that it uses?

Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just Google HP24W. These are the original bulbs. An LED replacement will need a modification to the bulb holder to fit them in. All covered in the link in my previous post on this thread.

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Direct replacement LED's seem to be available @ http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-DRL-HP24W-7- ... -5008-/282.

Personally I'm for LED's in most applications (all my rear light conversions have been very red, rather than very bright) but found that they're poor for illumination, so am interested what GiveMeABreak used in his reversing lights (I know there are some listed specifically for that application).

Not a big fan of DRL's (or, correctly - at least in this country - conspicuity lights) though (a) it's just dim-dip for the 21st century (b) they legitimise running on foglights for no reason than they're standard equipment.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The good news here (Spain) is that driving with foglights on when there is no fog is an offence - points and fine.
The bad news is that traffic police almost never enforce it.
Chris