Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Came across this excellent set of pictures of the HMV record store in Oxford Street from times gone by. I was trying to find an old image of Oz Records in Newcastle where I remember the old bus seats and the headphones where you could listen to any album you wanted! Part of the music buying experience. Couldn't find anything but the discovery of the HMV pics was a bonus.

Some nice images of the listening booths, and the interior of the shop through a number of decades on the link above...

...and the exterior with a nice van! You've got to like the shop sign...."Home Entertainment and Electric Housekeeping" :-D

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-co ... London.jpg

Regards Neil

Gratuitous bonus picture of Nipper

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-co ... 00x400.jpg
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My pic of the day is my activa which was relatively clean when it left home, 30 odd miles along back roads later to get to decent shops looked like thisImageImage
At least the hammerite on the sill is not visible [emoji13] [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is a bit of a mucky pup now Davie!

Neil, love the Ford van pictures, Especially the 'Nipper' one :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Well, well. Our XM was originally S472LTR, new from Freeborn, Southampton/S.E.Thomas, Godalming.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

daviemck2006 wrote:My pic of the day is my activa which was relatively clean when it left home, 30 odd miles along back roads later to get to decent shops looked like this....
Our golden Labrador is much the same!..but she is also self-cleaning which is an advantage :) .

Continuing the "Record Store" nostalgia......seems like pictures of OZ records at the bottom of Westgate Road in Newcastle are a rare thing, but I did find a pic of their "bags".

It was on this site here, alright those interested in OZ records in Newcastle are going to be thin on the ground but this site is one of those where you can select your own county/town and wallow in nostalgia for the range of independants and other stores where you would have bought some of your significant records.

I walked out of OZ Records with "In The Land of Grey and Pink" by Caravan..............still got it....still one of my all time favourites!

So here's the link, enjoy a browse and hope it inspires a few memories :-D

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/

Regards Neil

PS for those curious about the OZ Records bag its here
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Jan 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

When you turn round because you have that feeling someone has been watching you for a while............
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must go and investigate Caravan a bit further... Just listened to a bit of it through a very poor PC speaker and it sounds promising :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Nice pair Alasdair :) Its the sort of look I get from our Lab when eating a fruit corner yoghurt-just in case I forget that she needs to polish off the dregs when I have finished, although there is a bit more drooling :)
CitroJim wrote:I must go and investigate Caravan a bit further... Just listened to a bit of it through a very poor PC speaker and it sounds promising :)
It would be hard jumping straight into the 22 minutes of Nine Feet Underground which occupies all of side 2, but Winter Wine from side 1 has a magical quality which conjures up a whole series of your own images led by the lyrics and the dream like nature of the song. Still don't know what its on about but know every word, every note.

The best place for it is the PE Jukebox so thats where it is to be found!

I bought another of their albums, "For girls who grow plump in the night" from one of the very early "Comets"....must have been cheaper than anywhere else at the time.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sKsYFJ5LHkE/hqdefault.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Not quite as mad as Ottery St Mary on November 5th, but Allendale in Northumberland likes a Tar Barrel or two and a bonfire in the market square on New Years Eve.

http://www.chillisauce.co.uk/blog/wp-co ... nd-tor.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:It is a bit of a mucky pup now Davie!

Neil, love the Ford van pictures, Especially the 'Nipper' one :D
That 'Nipper' van is a Hillman Husky van Jim :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Following on from the "I'm sorry I'll read that again" recent thread, I came across a youtube video of a radio light entertainment/comedy "show" that made me chuckle.

I always like the Jack Dee introductions to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue",as he gently takes the mickey out of the audience/location of the show. Well Mark Steel does a bit of an extended version in his show,l "Mark Steel's In Town" on Radio 4 . He did a pretty good job on Ottery, and the audience loved it!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Haven't look at this for a month :oops: ; so rolling back to the comments on the APT... read a piece about a year ago by a journalist about the inaugural run (full of journalists). It set off late at night and he said he had no idea that there was such a long straight stretch of track in the UK! Daylight dawned and all was revealed, the tilting system being excellent, but causing visual disturbance/balance problems. This made most of those aboard sick so they rubbished the ride in their columns. The chap writing the article disagreed saying that their opinions couldn't have had anything to do with the prodigious amounts of alcohol consumed the night before, could it?

More journalistic idiocy occurred during the Falklands debacle when a column published in the Daily Mail berated the AAF for incorrectly fusing their bombs so they did not have time to arm, so passing through/into the ships without exploding. A week or two later.... Remember the Sir Galahad? Instead of all the plaudits received on his return, he should have been hung from the yardarm for treason :twisted: .
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, sadly the APT was just too good and I believe on the Pendolino they had to deliberately introduce a bit of roll to offset the visual problems although it never works for me...

I always feel we rare going through Berkhamstead station (on a tight curve) on our side when travelling in a Pendolino back from Euston...

There must be a moral... Never let a bunch of hung-over journalists near anything ;)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Picture of the day for me...

Too wet for a proper bike ride so I had to turn it into a static bike and go for a ride to nowhere...

Thinking about it, this is something I could set up in the Pickled Egg and listen to the PE Juke Box at the same time and natter to the other regulars :)

As it was, I enjoyed a bit of Barclay James Harvest whilst on my otherwise very uninteresting ride...

Jim

NewcastleFalcon

There has been some reminiscing about paraffin on the "Electric Vehicles" thread so here's a visual reminder of a couple of bits of paraffin-alia-a nice pair, a primus stove, and a Tilley lamp....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.JPG

https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/a ... iginal.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey