XUD Exhaust 'bean can'

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

XUD Exhaust 'bean can'

Post by spider »

Certainly fitted to 205 normally aspirated as well as the Visa. Likely to be present on quite a few 1.9 N/A units too such as 405.

I was just wondering what its real purpose is, I've always assumed its to compensate for the shortish exhaust manifold, although I wonder what effects would be experienced if it was blanked off. :-k

Unsure if it would just be a change in exhaust resonance or if the potential change in back pressure ( maybe ? ) would cause any adverse effects.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: XUD Exhaust 'bean can'

Post by demag »

I always thought the barryboys liked the noise! :-)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe it's a resonator to eliminate a certain noise signature at a certain engine speed/load Andy.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

That does make sense yes, thinking about this a little bit the DW8 has that curious plastic resonator fitted in the intake pipework (its bolted to the front of the block area)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A good few have inlet resonators. I see both the C1 and Pixo has one.. I guess a three-pot engine has lots of odd noise signatures...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:A good few have inlet resonators. I see both the C1 and Pixo has one.. I guess a three-pot engine has lots of odd noise signatures...
The 3 cyl Corsa I had many many moons ago for about a year also had similar too thinking about it, and a curious restrictor fitted into the intake air box (that the 4 pot did not) removal out of curiosity made no difference to noise or (lack of) power levels that. I don't think it was actually quite right as we used to have a 1.0 Metro (A series engine) and that was actually more lively ( ! )
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a large 'horn' or 'well' on the C5 airbox that I presumed was to catch any water incoming but perhaps that is a resonator too?
spider

Post by spider »

myglaren wrote:There is a large 'horn' or 'well' on the C5 airbox that I presumed was to catch any water incoming but perhaps that is a resonator too?
It sounds more like a resonator from your description. I'd expect a 'drain' to be open at the lower end but have a shield in it so that water could not 'splash in' aka: outlet only.
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did find it full of water once and drilled a very small drain hole near the bottom.
spider

Post by spider »

myglaren wrote:I did find it full of water once and drilled a very small drain hole near the bottom.
I did that to the bottom of the 205TD round airbox too as it was possible for it to collect water (in theory) but the hole was carefully placed on the 'before filtered' side and away from any risk of splash. :)
Andy.

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

myglaren wrote:I did find it full of water once and drilled a very small drain hole near the bottom.
ISTR That was an official mod, following a few cases of drowned engines.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

CitroJim wrote:I believe it's a resonator to eliminate a certain noise signature at a certain engine speed/load Andy.
I wondered the same thing for some time, and eventually discovered that it is indeed a resonator
Puxa