Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: "The Pickled Egg"-your virtual local

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Very very quiet day at the PE so the Landlord's been on tour. Ended up at the Stables Brewery Beamish Hall.

The Landlord of the Pickled Egg is a bit of a connoisseur and likes to sample new drinks personally before launching them on the unsuspecting Pickled Egg punter.

The verdict on this one

Interesting, refreshing, not a ginger beer but a ginger infused beer, critically retaining a bit of that lingering ginger heat on the palate, together with a hit of lemon and lime.....but definitely an acquired taste. May get a firkin in for the PE Barbeque in the Beer Garden could go nicely with piri-piri chicken drumsticks.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 Jul 2016, 06:31, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Now if that as non-alcoholic I could fancy a drop of that ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Now if that as non-alcoholic I could fancy a drop of that ;)
4.2% ABV unfortunately. There is a huge missing gap in the drinks market which I cant think of anything that fits into off the top of my head. 99.9% of all non-alcoholic drinks are far too sweet, including a lot of "pure" fruit juices.

Ginger beers, even the alcoholic ones like crabbies etc are generally sickly sweet. Alcohol free beer unless anyone knows different has not been perfeccted by a long chalk, and even those "flavoured waters" remain very sweet.

The range of interesting cordials and blood tonics from Mr Fitzpatrick are of course very sugary although you can dilute them to your taste.

No at the end of the day, like the Landlord of the PE, I've come to the conclusion that there's no subsitute yet been invented for a nice pint of bitter!

Regards Neil

PS The PE Does a non-alcoholic special on draught in the restaurant!

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 Jul 2016, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I fully agree on the excessive sweetness of soft drinks Neil...

My usual tipple when I go to a pub is a pint (or a half) of soda water with a dash of lime cordial... That works out quite well...

A nice non-alcoholic ginger beer with no sweetness would be even better!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Old Engine Oil has always been one of the staple offerings at the Pickled Egg but new for the Summer, a few crates of this have been brought in. Now old engine oil makes a legendary "Ice Cream Float", maybe Raspy Engine with a lump or 2 of Raspberry Ripple would be just as good :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg Jukebox-Open for Christmas!

Tis the season to inflict your musical taste on the gathered throng at the Pickled Egg.
CitroJim wrote: Simon Mayo played a BJH track on Radio 2 last night and I loved it. Not heard any BJH for years... Now listening to some of it on Youtube ;)

Perhaps we can put one of their albums on the PE Jukebox... Maybe Everyone is Everybody Else...
Well I'm not sure a whole album fits on the Wurlitzer, its not one of those fancy modern things, but in the Pickled Egg there are many rooms, and plenty of audio equipment, "record players" and "reel to reels" , booths and headphones, and old bus seats to sit back and relax to the long players.

I think the Mayo track was probably "Hymn" so here it is....

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I think the Mayo track was probably "Hymn" so here it is....

It certainly was :) Thanks for putting it on the PE Jukebox Neil, excellent!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Complimentary Winter Wine for you to enjoy at the Pickled Egg :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I despise Christmas music - have just had to endure some cats being tortured to death in the shops, disguised as Christmas songs.
However, there is an exception.
Jackie Evancho has released three Christmas albums, her first went platinum in a month and became billboards #1 despite only being released in November - when she was 10!

She has just done another and I have bought it. She can transform songs that would normally make me cringe into something wonderful - not just Christmas stuff either.

Here she is with Il Volo. She is 16 now and the boys about the same age. All her previous duets have been with older men - Tony Bennet, Andrea Bocelli, Cheyenne Jackson, Peter Hollens, José Carreras, Placído Domingo among others.

Full album.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I despise Christmas music - have just had to endure some cats being tortured to death in the shops, disguised as Christmas songs.
I normally do but as I've said elsewhere on here, I'm really enjoying them this year... It must be the medication ;)

myglaren wrote:However, there is an exception.
Jackie Evancho
Her 'Little Drummer Boy' is magical :D Love it :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

If you want soething different fro the usual Christmas playlist try the "Pickled Egg Jukebox Christmas Selection".

link here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NqEZ-gwOud

or simply put "Pickled Egg Jukebox" in a search on google or youtube and play it on shuffle for a random list.

I've added all those suggestions so far....and an added bonus there's a vegan mince pie recipe accompanying the Bob Marley selection!

Ive added a couple more one from Cold Play and the other...had to be..the poignant "December Song" from George Michael.

Keep them coming and I'll shove them on the Wurlitzer :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg Jukebox-your New Year Selections needed!!!!

Five and a Half Hours to 2017.....here in Northuberland anyway.....

Can the FCF put up at least 11 tracks before midnight for the "winter selection" juke box on a new year theme.

I start off with an obvious pair, the wonderful musicality of Abba and those girl's voices,in a song full of emotions, I often get something in my eye by the time Agnetha and Anni-Frid have finished singing.

The second the first time I became aware of U2 when they were in their infancy and a foretaste of their "sound"

..and here's a slightly off toic curve ball....from a query to find a decent spoken version of Auld Land Syne, one of the results list was "A thousand kissses deep" by Leonard Cohen which does include the words "Auld Lang Syne"...from there to another video of "Dance me to the end of love" from later with Jools Holland in 1993.....and strangely enough...I like it accordions and burning violins, a french cafe end of the night sort of feel and Leonard enjoying himself!

Its going on the new year party selection....specifically for slow dancing when you've had too much to drink :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

While is isn't specifically intended as such I think it has the right sound and feel for a new year anthem.

"The Way Old Friends Do"
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote:While is isn't specifically intended as such I think it has the right sound and feel for a new year anthem.
Thanks Steve-Its on! I'm sure you can find some interesting other selections!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey