The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by Peter.N. »

I was tested with a number of pages of coloured dots, apparently colour blind people see different numbers in them. There was also a machine at 'Evoloun' at Eindhoven which some of you may remember from the trade colour test films, we went there a couple of times and I tried it and it said I was severely rood - groen blind.

I have just been reading a James Herroit book while I was in hospital, read them the first time round but never realised how well written they were until now, they cover every aspect of emotion including humor, I was trying to prevent myself from laughing out loud in the ward.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: I have just been reading a James Herroit book while I was in hospital, read them the first time round but never realised how well written they were until now, they cover every aspect of emotion including humor, I was trying to prevent myself from laughing out loud in the ward.
I read and enjoyed them years ago Peter and loved how he related the language of some of his farmer clients... I remember one farmer informing him he was phoning from t' cassock in t' village and asking if he'd heard anything from the Labrador?

After a bit of head-scratching it transpired he was calling from the village telephone kiosk and was keen to know if he had the results of some tests from the laboratory...

Another was when a very skilled and respected surgeon came to do a tricky operation on a cat that was beyond Jame's ability. Operation done and James and this surgeon went for a drink. The surgeon had a reputation for hard drinking and got poor James absolutely sozzled...

In the morning the surgeon, all jolly and bright, phoned James, who was suffering a most terrible hangover, to tell him the cat was OK and had managed to lap a little warm milk. James informed him that he'd just about managed the same :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That same very skilled vet also drove a Bentley. On one occasion they (James and the other guy) had to go somewhere in tricky conditions (through the Snake Pass, IIRC). It was an interesting experience. A day later James was looking at the beginning of that route, and a policeman told him it had been closed because of the snow, and nothing had made it through in days. James did not comment on this.

I loved the TV series the BBC did, with Christopher Timothy as James Herriot, Robert Hardy as Siegfried Farnon, and Peter Davidson as Tristan Farnon.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:That same very skilled vet also drove a Bentley.
Yes, I remember now James... He did indeed... A real larger than life character...

I enjoyed the TV series too.. So well cast... Siegfried in particular, Robert Hardy played him so well he could well have been Siegfried in real life :)

James's screen wife was famous too I believe, I can picture her but I can't recall her name...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The first actress was Carol Drinkwater, and the second actress was Lynda Bellingham.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The first actress was Carol Drinkwater, and the second actress was Lynda Bellingham.
Thanks James :D It was Lynda I was thinking of...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes all those comments ring a bell, the wealthy vet with the Bentley played Morse's boss, great big chap. A couple of the chapters in this book were concerning the Romney sheep sheep he took to Russia and the ones he took somewhere hot in a WW 2 transport plane that they had to haul the landing gear up with a rope and subsequently lost an engine.

He had such a grasp of detail and a mind that craved knowledge and experience, I shall have to look at some more of his books again.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I did a Google search. It was Granville Bennett who had a head of iron who kept getting James drunk. Every time James met Zoe Bennett he was drunk (after a quick 'drink' in the other 'office'). Whenever James tried to turn down 'another drink' Granville would look offended.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I did a Google search. It was Granville Bennett who had a head of iron who kept getting James drunk. Every time James met Zoe Bennett he was drunk (after a quick 'drink' in the other 'office'). Whenever James tried to turn down 'another drink' Granville would look offended.
It's all coming back to me now :D I reckon I'd better re-read the books and enjoy them all over again... I have an Amazon voucher to spend...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I'll lob this one into the PE Library then. Its what you could describe as a nice coffee table read. If you are familiar with the books/TV series/Film its got lots of nice photos, but you will not be disappointed with the writing which goes deeper than that, really captures his genuine love of family the landscape and people and his work in his bit of Yorkshire.

If you have never been to the Yorkshire Dales, it will put it on your must visit list!

Of course its not a patch on Northumberland :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Neil, that's gone on the list of things to buy with my Amazon gift card.. That and some Barclay James Harvest albums... Simon Mayo played a BJH track on Radio 2 last night and I loved it. Not heard any BJH for years... Now listening to some of it on Youtube ;)

Perhaps we can put one of their albums on the PE Jukebox... Maybe Everyone is Everybody Else...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Well, here are a few to choose from;

https://www.penguin.co.uk/series/LBGU/l ... grown-ups/
I received two of these books in the post today from an unknown source. Has the PE Library become a lending library now? :lol:

I have 'The Shed' and 'The Mid-Life Crisis'

I'm going to greatly enjoy those over Christmas so thanks to whoever sent them ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:

I received two of these books in the post today from an unknown source. Has the PE Library become a lending library now? :lol:

I'm going to greatly enjoy those over Christmas so thanks to whoever sent them ;)
Love it :-D to compare it to Pinnochio....today The Pickled Egg Library has become a real boy :!: :!: :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Love it :-D to compare it to Pinnochio....today The Pickled Egg Library has become a real boy :!: :!: :!: :-D

Regards Neil
:lol:
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My wife has been reading the last book (I believe) in the Herriot series, its a biography by his son Jim Wight, The Real James Herriot, its called, it was published in '99 and it is a good history of not only his father but other characters in the series.

Peter