Full circle ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Full circle ?

Post by spider »

Hmm.

Older engines (to be fair usually OHV) chain drive. I'm not going back enough to think about sidevalves, I do not know about these and have not looked.

Newer engines belt drive cam

Newer still: Some back to chain

Older engines (as in 1960's or earlier) typically a paper or mesh oil filter in a bowl / housing

Newer engines neat spin on disposable cartridge

Newer still: Back to paper element in a housing on some.

:-k
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Full circle ?

Post by white exec »

Requirements for recyclability explain the move back towards filter bowl + paper element. Recyling 'throw-away' canisters is a nightmare.
Similar issues with other 'mixed material' products, where different materials, each easily recycled in their own right, are bonded together.
Daft recently to find boxes of paper tissues with a polythene membrane bonded to the box top: why?
Pringles tubes with a crimped-on metal base? Use of a can-opener sorts that one, but why not a cardboard base?
Chris
spider

Post by spider »

white exec wrote:Requirements for recyclability explain the move back towards filter bowl + paper element. Recyling 'throw-away' canisters is a nightmare.
Similar issues with other 'mixed material' products, where different materials, each easily recycled in their own right, are bonded together.
Daft recently to find boxes of paper tissues with a polythene membrane bonded to the box top: why?
Pringles tubes with a crimped-on metal base? Use of a can-opener sorts that one, but why not a cardboard base?
I'd assumed with the small TU petrol engines they went to a paper element due to moving the cat up into the manifold so there was not sensible room for the 'spin on' cartridge anymore.

The elements can be quite messy although newer designs are better I'll admit. Elderly LR engines are very messy indeed with a metal housing.

To be fair to that, some placements (Rover :( ) have the spin on upside down so you end up making a right mess. Not a brilliant design thought, probably from someone who had never had an sleevefull of oil.

I see what you're saying about the spin on filters, we used to have a machine that crushed them to about 5 to 10mm tall, it at least collected a vast amount of waste oil out of them though. They were taken away when they were crushed but I do not know if / how they were recycled. I half wonder if the crushing was to remove the oil and reduce the size rather than anything else ?

Talking of cardboard let me tell you a small story:

I recall when our supermarket was 'Fine Fare' (later to become Gateway , Somerfield , then Co-op but they closed it last year!) , as you came out the checkout tills when it was Fine Fare there were dozens and dozens of cardboard boxes, the ones they had had goods arrive in, crisp packet boxes, biscuit boxes you know the thing.

The idea was you grabbed a box or two for your shopping instead of carrier bags. Worked well. I enquired about this a few years ago (I forget who owned it then) and was told it was a HSE thing they were not allowed to do it anymore. :( , I remember it well from my childhood years.

I see 'across the pond' they usually have large paper(ish) bags for their groceries... I'll check this when I speak to a few people I know over there soon.
Andy.

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

The 2.5 XM had an upside down spin on but it had a built in tray on the housing to collect the slops.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

spider wrote:
white exec wrote: I see 'across the pond' they usually have large paper(ish) bags for their groceries... I'll check this when I speak to a few people I know over there soon.
That's correct, they also have an assistant pack the stuff for you...................not as a courtesy though more for the fact that you mess about and their packers can get you moved on quicker.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Face-down spin-on filters (like the 2.5) are another reason to use filters with the non-return flap. It greatly reduces the amount of oil released when they're unscrewed.

Worst I ever had to deal with were those with the bolt-through aluminium bowl, but mounted horizontally! Total mess.

Think you're right about crushing spin-on filters - good recycling it isn't!
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Following this thread with interest, being very committed to recycling and waste reduction... I just can't bear to see any kind of waste at all...

I'd wondered what had happened to the cardboard boxes in supermarkets too. Ironically it helped the shop dispose of unwanted boxes and helped the shopper no end... No doubt the boxes have to be disposed of at cost to the poor shopper. They were far better than any plastic carrier bags; something I detest... They should not have charged 5p for a carrier bag, it should be five quid at least...

I have a set of reusable shopping bags and they last years and years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They crush and recycle the cardboard boxes Jim.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

For a good few years when we do a supermarket shop, we put a couple of large plastic boxes in the boot of the car, and load the supermarket trolley contents straight into them. No bags! The boxes stop stuff rolling about in the boot, and can be carried straight into the house.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:For a good few years when we do a supermarket shop, we put a couple of large plastic boxes in the boot of the car, and load the supermarket trolley contents straight into them. No bags! The boxes stop stuff rolling about in the boot, and can be carried straight into the house.
That's an excellent idea Chris :)

I recall many years ago Sainsburys used to have plastic carrier boxes available that could fit in the trolley and transfer straight to the boot... An excellent idea but seems to have gone by the wayside..

I find the space between my toolbox and the boot sill in my Xantia is just right for two full Tesco jute bags and stops them rolling around a treat ;)

In the C1 it was never a problem; the boot is only just big enough to hold two full bags :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

white exec wrote:For a good few years when we do a supermarket shop, we put a couple of large plastic boxes in the boot of the car, and load the supermarket trolley contents straight into them. No bags! The boxes stop stuff rolling about in the boot, and can be carried straight into the house.
Get a C5 Tourer, just take the trolley !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Get a C5 Tourer, just take the trolley !
:rofl2:
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Years ago I worked for Kwiksave. Remember them? More recently I was based in a TkMaxx warehouse. Both these companies, and I assume many more as well have large hydraulic balers that compress cardboard into bales weighing about a third of a ton. These are loaded onto trailers and sold to recycling companies.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

We still have some of those blue and orange Sainsbury's trugs here - about ten of them, I think... :roll:
Chris
spider

Post by spider »

Regarding filters (the spin on) the 205TD (and the 309TD) are guilty as charged here in having it mounted upright so when you unscrew it, the oil runs out all over the place. I can see why they did this 'design' as its a bit tight for the conventional 'sandwich' cooler to live here (I looked into it a bit)
Andy.