Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by myglaren »

Your taxi is here Jim :twisted:

Agreed that they just get uglier - must be some kind of competition between car makers to produce the ugliest car ever.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

No. It could well be a deliberate attempt to preserve the appeal of their petrol and diesel models. Even the Prius got a pig-ugly back for no good reason. Most of the major car manufacturers would far rather be sticking with their ICEs, rather than having to fund hugely expensive EV R&D programmes, for what will be limited sales and some on-going liabilities, including the public's current preference for leasing, and on-going uncertainties about batterry warranty. Profit margin on EVs is probably tight.

Tesla stand out as the big exception to this, with their highly attractive designs, pretty desirable whatever the power unit. Little reason why EV designs need to be lumpy, ugly or mickey mouse - other than to put buyers off. There was a flurry of electric vesions of standard models (Clio, Megane, Fluence...) but that seems to have slowed somewhat.

Tesla has its mission of making EVs acceptable and desirable. All the others have interests in existing product, although they know, ultimately, they can't be left behind. Could be a strategy of "Let's make this, but not make it too good...".
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:No. It could well be a deliberate attempt to preserve the appeal of their petrol and diesel models.
I think you may have a good point there Chris... The current Leaf, for instance, is in no way attractive at all..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myglaren wrote: Agreed that they just get uglier - must be some kind of competition between car makers to produce the ugliest car ever.
..Thats why some of those conversions of the classics are so appealing.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So when it coes to recycling Nissan Leaf Batteries what are the company going to do about it...

...turn them into their equivalent of the Tesla powerwall for your home.

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/05/12/vehic ... -the-home/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
myglaren wrote: Agreed that they just get uglier - must be some kind of competition between car makers to produce the ugliest car ever.
..Thats why some of those conversions of the classics are so appealing.
Or one of those electric Saxos ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Nice pic of a TR3 posted up on the Classsic Cars thread. You may be surprised that the TR3 has been the subject of an electrical conversion too.

Story here..."The Electric Triumph"

https://milodarling.me/projects/triumph/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Discovered EVWest on a link from the story above, nice little video on a neat conversion of a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle, for which they supply conversion kits.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

For the 2-wheelers
This Italian beauty features a monocoque frame, front forks and 26-inch radial-spoke wheels made of carbon fibre composite, which, despite an array of electric-drive hardware, keeps weight to a not-unwieldy 57lbs. The Cykno's leather-wrapped centre section contains a 250- or 500-watt electric motor, a lithium-polymer battery pack and an on-board charger with cable. Full charge from a standard household outlet takes four hours, and the Cykno will cruise in pedal-assist mode for a generous 37 miles – perfect for a long day of Roman roamin'.

from

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140821 ... l-bicycles

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If they're the most beautiful then I shudder to think what are the most ugly...

I'm sorry but none of those appeal to me in the least :(

This, to my eye, is beauty in a bike....

Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
If they're the most beautiful then I shudder to think what are the most ugly...

I'm sorry but none of those appeal to me in the least :(
Yes I see what you mean, but for me I usually find something interesting in the unusual. As you can imagine the price tag for the electric one I pulled out of the list as an example, is of the order of £20,000.

One slight link with the FCF from another on the list.....the Pashley Parabike

Who can forget Devizes Day on "Picture(s) of the Day" and the video of the "Devizes Wartime Walk" featuring heavily the fold up paratrooper bike Pashley have paid homage to in their design :!: :-D

https://youtu.be/7aDFNydbgQ0?t=371

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love the traditional Brooks saddle on that Pashley Parabike :D

Brooks are still the very best money can buy and I am considering getting a pair for my bikes. Not one exactly like the one above but the rather sportier sort...

£20K for a bike :shock: That would buy two (with change to spare) very top of the range Pinarello Dogma F8s as ridden by Team Sky in the TdF...

They are a thing of sublime beauty too...

Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:
£20K for a bike :shock: That would buy two (with change to spare) very top of the range Pinarello Dogma F8s as ridden by Team Sky in the TdF...

You'd be surprised to learn that some of the Sky team, and at least one of the ones you might be able to name off the top of your head, used to use *much* cheaper bikes, made to look like Pinarellos due to sponsorship commitments.

I know this as my cousin has been involved with Team Sky and Cycling GB for some years now
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:You'd be surprised to learn that some of the Sky team, and at least one of the ones you might be able to name off the top of your head, used to use *much* cheaper bikes, made to look like Pinarellos due to sponsorship commitments.
Gosh :shock:

Still, I suppose even Sky don't have bottomless pockets so must make an economy or two somewhere...
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

It was more of a personal preference of the cyclists involved rather than a budgetary issue.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk