Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Today's gallery from Leboncoin continues...

Renault Express...1995 33,000 KM 2,800 euros

Citroen Ax Elecrique 1996 2500 euros

Peugeot Partner Electrique 1999 2500 euros

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....Peugeot 106 Eletrique 2002....3,500 euros

another Peugeot Partner Eletrique make a nice electric mini camper 2001 3,850 Euros.

There are plenty about and asking price can be very diffferent from buying price.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:
For most of my driving needs an electric car is just what I need right now... I'm not sure about the regular 300 mile round-trip I do to Somerset and back just yet but time and progress will see that good too...

We live in interesting times...
There are charging points at Michael Wood Jim. :wink:

Peter
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: A Saxo Electrique at £1700 Euros
(Thanks Google Translate!!
Hello I sell my electric saxophone phase 2 there is a leak of coolant on a battery or a hose in front so impossible to load it ideal for handyman very good condition int and ext sold in the state to debate
Regards Neil
To quote Monty Python: My hovercraft is full of eels :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

(Thanks Google Translate!!
Hello I sell my electric saxophone phase 2 there is a leak of coolant on a battery or a hose in front so impossible to load it ideal for handyman very good condition int and ext sold in the state to debate
Now there's food for thought! I'd love an electric saxophone!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I was a bit surprised but saw someone playing one alongside Vanessa Mae with her electric violin.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So they do exist then :D Sweet...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

white exec wrote: Tesla deserve an international award for much of this, but we can still expect a backlash from Big Oil. Trump's appointment yesterday, I think, of an Exxon-Mobil CEO as his Secretary of State shows where things could yet head. None of the oil companies has done less in the way of developing alternative energy than Exxon. The USA has been producing technologically primitive vehicles for decades, which is why so many of their households run European or Far Eastern, and Detroit is now rust-belt. This could be set to continue.
I got a giggle out of this video: :)

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Enjoyed that Simon, Elon Musk has now moved onto his solar tile mission and even made it onto Page 49 of "Picture(s) of the Day"...

I've been no stranger to the horse analogy myself, and a support structure for electric vehicles based on rechargeable cartridges produced and distributed on an industrial scale, and spent cartridges exchanged for fully charged ones when the car pulls into the refuelling station.
For rechargeable cartridges read...
From the days of the stagecoach replacing "spent" teams of horses with fresh ones at coaching inns on the Turnpikes every 8 miles or so. No attempt made to immediately recharge the spent horses so they could go out and do the next 8 miles by forcefeeding oats and hay (viz plugging a car the into a charging station), while travellers waited for the digestion to work and refuel the horses. No just exchange the spent team with a fresh team, and the travellers are on their way again.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I've been no stranger to the horse analogy myself, and a support structure for electric vehicles based on rechargeable cartridges produced and distributed on an industrial scale, and spent cartridges exchanged for fully charged ones when the car pulls into the refuelling station.
For rechargeable cartridges read...
From the days of the stagecoach replacing "spent" teams of horses with fresh ones at coaching inns on the Turnpikes every 8 miles or so. No attempt made to immediately recharge the spent horses so they could go out and do the next 8 miles by forcefeeding oats and hay (viz plugging a car the into a charging station), while travellers waited for the digestion to work and refuel the horses. No just exchange the spent team with a fresh team, and the travellers are on their way again.
Regards Neil
At one point Tesla were considering automated fast battery swaps as an alternative to charging on long haul routes - the battery pack in the model S is designed to be swapped in about 2 minutes from underneath using a special robot controlled jig/machine that undoes all the bolts at once and drops the battery down and there is apparently one proof of concept station in the US that will do this.

But I think the plan was abandoned in favour of superchargers, which can charge at over 100kW. At that rate you can charge about 180 miles of range in a model S in 30 minutes. When you consider that for private passenger use you don't typically want to drive more than about 200 miles without a "rest stop" of your own, stopping to plug in and charge for half an hour while you stop, visit the rest room, get something to eat, feed the kids and have a bit of a break from non-stop driving on a long trip is actually pretty sensible versus trying to drive non stop without a rest, just because a petrol/diesel car more or less lets you...

Whether the number of stalls would scale up to a large number of electric vehicles being on the road so that you weren't waiting for a charging stall is another question of course!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If we can build a network of petrol/gas stations, railways and a road system, I'm sure we can manage some modifications to the electricity cable network to provide charging points.

Mind you, digging a hole in the ground can take a decade in Britain (although other places like France and Spain manage such things much quicker - such as TGV and motorways/airports respectively). Worth remembering that in the UK there wasn't such a thing as the National Grid until WW2.

While we're agonizing over all this, battery performance will improve leaps and bounds - it already has. Tesla has taken the bull by the horns and installed his own charging points, UK included. We passed a row of them at an M6 service station in September last year, with one nice bright red Model S hooked up. By forcing the pace like this, he will have made some enemies, and there is already talk of deliberate incompatibility between charging points; this needs sorting, and is a job for government, if they can remember how that is done.

It's all very exciting, and moving at quite a pace . . . unlike that video!
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You're dead right about how long it takes to get anything done in the UK Chris :( It is a very sad state of affairs indeed and holds the country back something terrible...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:That Minx (or is it one of its posher siblings?) Is a lovely conversion but doubtless it will have lots of old boys in the classic car world wringing their hands in horror but why not?

I think it improves it - the old Hillman 1725 engine was nothing special...
Singer Vogue Jim.

I had an elderly lady client who drove one like Stirling Moss - she was very quick and capable. As was the car, very comfortable too.
I think that's actually a Humber Sceptre..........................no you could be right the Sceptre I think had more chrome around the front panels and side lamps :?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Mandrake wrote: Whether the number of stalls would scale up to a large number of electric vehicles being on the road so that you weren't waiting for a charging stall is another question of course!
That keeps the horse analogy going nicely with the "electric horses' pulling into the stalls for a feed!

The petrol/diesel network has evolved with large scale refineries producing the fuel, and it being distributed to filling stations, the locations of which have developed and changed to meet the needs and preferences of todays car user.

When I first started driving in the 70's you would not (probably could not) buy your petrol from a supermarket but these days 9 times out of 10 I will buy fuel at Morrisons/Sainsbury's/Asda, and the other occasion it will be a treat of ESSO..(probably because the garage in the village I spent my childhood in sold ESSO and you could get tiger tails and football coins, and "The Esso sign means happy motoring" as the jingle went).

One of the assets which all supermarkets have is a large number of "stalls" ie car parking spaces, and a period of time when the car is just sitting in the same "stall" doing nothing. If the direct charging model is adopted for an electric vehicle support network, it would not be surprising to see the major players in that network being the big supermarkets/retail parks rather than the traditional pull in at a forecourt service station arrangement.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That makes a lot of sense, Neil. Wonder how much scope there might be for inductive charging, so all you'd have to do is park the car in a slot, without making a physical connection. Couple that with intelligent billing (car and its owner's account identified automatically), and it could be a pretty painless operation.

I think the original Mr Tesla wrote a thing or two about wireless power transmission...
Chris