Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars and vans-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Sloppysod wrote:I know its not French, but there are small companies popping up now that will convert your classic.

I follow this blog http://www.fullychargedshow.co.ukon Youtube by Robert Llewellyn, it has some very interesting stuff about zero emissions, not just cars either!!
Looks like a VW Beetle there! While most of the conversion stories I have read so far consist of blogs over a considerable period of time and problems cropping up, and being tackled along the way this little video shows the product of a concentrated effort over a couple of days, an electric beetle, which appears to produce a state of genuine excitement and happiness among "the crew". Electric Vehicles definitely dont have to be boring...although they can do that as well :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars and vans-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Just watched the "Fully Charged" vid on e-bikes, featured amongst others a French one with Bosch electrics from a firm called Moustache so semi bang on topic! (maybe another slight title change to embrace the e-bikes as well!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Someone in Hungary has given the Xantia a go with an electric conversion, but no nice pics, just the work in progress, and the vital statistics on the installation

http://www.evalbum.com/4499

The lastest post was from 2015....
2015.06 The 11 Coll motor killed by overspeed in 1st gear :(.
New 9" motor mounting project is in progress.

Not sure if that is a very wide elastic band for the motor mounting on the left of the pic or something a little stiffer :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The site where the xantia came from has a gallery, with info on specs of well over 4,000 different conversions.

Its sorted into vehicle type/maker here easy for a few clicks on things that catch your interest.

http://www.evalbum.com/type

The conversions are from all over the world, so I had a look at the sorted by country and found

England (81) Isle of Wight (3) Scotland (22) Wales (9).....0 as yet for Northern Ireland!

Popped up Scotland, and found amongst others one for the horizontal wheelers :!: :-D

Donald Morrison's Truck and Trailer
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That Xantia conversion looks interesting Neil... The motor is driving the original BE3 gearbox by the looks of it... The Xantia in question was originally a VSX or Exclusive by the looks of it going by the centre Hydractive sphere...

I'll be interested to see how he drives a hydraulic pump...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That Xantia conversion looks interesting Neil... The motor is driving the original BE3 gearbox by the looks of it... The Xantia in question was originally a VSX or Exclusive by the looks of it going by the centre Hydractive sphere...

I'll be interested to see how he drives a hydraulic pump...
The hydraulic pump for suspension,servo brake, and the servo steering originally were driven by belt from ICE. Nowan auxiliary permanent magnet DC motor is used. Brushed DC motor (from treadmill). It is 180V 3LE at 4000 RPM. The belt gear is 11:6 having enough torque for 175 Bar pressure(tested an worked from 24V).
I think it looks very much like a proper DIY job using old motors from a Forklift and a treadmill as components and a well used car!.

This here is probably at the other end of the scale.....if you can get over the German, its definitely in the I want one of those categories! Never mind the purist Classic Car Brigade its a Triumph...literally

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here is a neat looking conversion from Australia

Lovely! The list of vehicles converted is growing all the time. So whatever vehicle you want to start out with, especially the "classics", there is a conversion that can be achieved.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and making up a nice pair from Australia this Morris Van

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That Minx (or is it one of its posher siblings?) Is a lovely conversion but doubtless it will have lots of old boys in the classic car world wringing their hands in horror but why not?

I think it improves it - the old Hillman 1725 engine was nothing special...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:That Minx (or is it one of its posher siblings?) Is a lovely conversion but doubtless it will have lots of old boys in the classic car world wringing their hands in horror but why not?

I think it improves it - the old Hillman 1725 engine was nothing special...
Singer Vogue Jim.

I had an elderly lady client who drove one like Stirling Moss - she was very quick and capable. As was the car, very comfortable too.
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by superloopy »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:...and making up a nice pair from Australia this Morris Van

Regards Neil
That's lovely to my eyes [emoji3]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:...and making up a nice pair from Australia this Morris Van

Regards Neil
That's lovely to my eyes [emoji3]
And to mine... Decidedly cute and cuddly :D There's no van today you can say that about...

Steve, thanks for identifying the Singer :D I just couldn't think of any alternatives to the Minx but the twin headlamps suggested to me it wasn't a Minx...

Really gorgeous cars :D Rootes always made some really attractive cars...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

xantiamanic wrote: That's lovely to my eyes [emoji3]
Yes I agree with that, I like a quirky van. Now this looks like a before conversion pic

This link I put up before is a nice little timewaster (or enjoyable nose around :-D ). There's plenty detail of the conversion below the main pic for each vehicle.

Heres the link for the details on what was put into the Singer (although down under it was badged a "Humber") Vogue

http://www.evalbum.com/3884

and the Morris Van

http://www.evalbum.com/3457

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Keeping it French....well Aussie French to be precise

Is there enough bodywork to identify this conversion?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Panhard I'd stab a guess at...
Jim