Wifi Routers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Wifi Routers

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've just done a new deal with TalkTalk for my broadband, they've sent me a new router.

I've been using a Netgear router for a long time without any problems so do I use the new TT one or stick with the Netgear?

Any comments?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickeymoon

Re: Wifi Routers

Post by mickeymoon »

It's your choice. If the Netgear floats your boat, put your TT user details in it and continue to use it. It's probably better quality than the cheapo low spec routers the ISPs bulk buy.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Depends entirely on how locked down the TT one is, and whether they will even tell you the necessary login details to use your own router (Sky definitely don't and make it actively difficult to use your own hardware - shame as I regularly want to drop kick their supplied router out the window).

If they do, and your existing router still does everything you need it to and has proper WiFi encryption etc, just stick with it I say...keep the supplied one as a backup.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Thanks for the comments, I had a look through the specs for both my Netgear and TTs Huawei and it seems the TT one is a bit later 802.11ac instead of 802.11n. I 've fitted it up and we'll see how it goes.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

God help you I just managed to escape! If its the Huawei hg633 "super hub" it probably won't work as the hardware is faulty in most of them but TT just keep pushing them out like there's nothing wrong. If you are still in your 14 day cooling off period I would seriously advise you to cancel. Look on the community forum at the number of complaints. I was lucky they unexpectedly put my price up so I left without penalty. I have gone with Origin broadband from Yorkshire. At least when I ring support now I get a friendly "Aye up lad 'ast the got problems?" Rather than some little old lady in Delhi reading from a script. Seriously do not go with TalkTalk.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been with them and their predecessors, BT-Lineone, Tiscali, since I first started using the net in the 1980s, never had a problem that couldn't be promptly and efficiently fixed, it's always worked for me so I won't be changing.

Just had a years free anytime phone calls as a compensation for their security hack last year which didn't in any case affect me.

I just signed up for another 18 months to get a better deal than the one that was expiring, didn't ask for a router it just came as part of the package so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had any experience of their router.
It is the Huawei 633, plugged it in and it's working fine from the start so it's wait and see, I've still got the Netgear which also worked fine with TT as a back up if needed.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Wow you've been lucky then I hope it continues for you. For me it was dire.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As has been said, ISP routers are not exactly state of the art. I have always had my own router as I have a lot of kit that needs connecting (iPad, iPhone, 2 Smart TVs, 3 Blu-ray Players, 2 PCs, a laptop and a Printer that all require Connectivity). I am using a Dual band Netgear WNDR3700 V4 with 802.11n speeds and this works brilliantly for all connected kit. With 802.11ac you can get up to 1331Mbps - but you will need to have devices / WiFi adapters that support these speeds to benefit.

At present we are only on a rural WiFi WAN as we can't get standard broadband via landline or fibre at present. We've been waiting 6 years so far and counting, so currently we get both 5.24 Mbps download and upload speeds. Fibre is being laid now, which will be FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) within a few months, as the infrastructure is finally being completed, which will support 330Mbps download and 30Mbps upload speeds - talk about one extreme to the other! When this happens our options will be limited again as it will be Fibre-only packages that we can get, or stay with the WiFi we have. We currently pay £25 a month for this 5Mbps setup, plus there is our telephone landline rental and calls on top - so am looking forward to getting a hell of a better package with calls and line rental included for this sort of price when we can finally put an order in!

But... I be will sticking to my own cable router and won't be wanting any of their gimmicks and fluff to deflect the charges, like internet security, a crappy router and TV subscription rubbish etc. Relatives who have ADSL Broadband have been with Plusnet and Talk Talk and have been really disappointed with the speeds and quality of the routers that keep dropping off. So if you are paying for a service, ensure you tell them that you will be connecting your own quality router and that you will want your configuration settings before you sign up. There is nothing I've read yet that says you MUST use their routers! That's almost like BT saying you must use their telephones. One other thing I've found is that ISPs can usually 'dial in' to your router if you haven't changed the security settings. It's one of the first things I do, as I don't particularly want anyone accessing my router thank you very much, given all the security scares and selling customer information that is going on!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The router TT supplied seems to be working fine for me so far, I haven't noticed any difference from the Netgear one I was using before, it does show a bit better download speed but it's minimal.

I've got two Netgear routers sitting on my shelf should the TT one go belly up.

My TT grumble now is the landline calls price, I could go anytime free for £7:50 a month but I don't regularly use that much, Christmas though cost me £19 in calls.

Part of the new deal I got was a free 200 minute sim for my mobile 'forever' but my mobile is junk and either I can't hear the caller or they can't hear me, there's a lot of 'hello-hello-hello' calls that go no further. :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I find it very difficult from the tariffs I've looked at already in preparation to find one that just gives you broadband / fibre without all the add ons and so called freebies. There's no such thing and you end up paying for it some other way! I think they have been told they have to include line rental in the prices so you know what it costs you over the year.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Could you not replace the mobile with one that is not junk?

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

mickeymoon wrote:Could you not replace the mobile with one that is not junk?

Funny you should say that :) I just ordered a new one today. Wait and see now if it works any better, can't be sure it's not the phone that's junk it might be the locality and quality of signal.