The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well not sure F.J. Camm drove a Rover P4, but he very probably drove one of his £20 D.I.Y. three-wheelers :!: :-D

Its all here.....and duly deposited in Magazine articles....miscellaneous...DIY Three Wheelers section...of the PE library! :!:

http://www.bright.org.uk/pageC1.htm

ImageImage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....Oh no...I've only gone and discovered the original covers of the Practical Mechanics issues from 1936 which the £20 car appeared in. Absolutely gorgeous as well, and an interesting site, remembering the "Flying Flea" project too, although granted...it does carry a warning not to build it now!

Its all here...

http://www.bright.org.uk/index.html

But I'll claim those particular issues for the PE Library

Regards Neil

ImageImage
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first book I read of his was 'Sixty tested wireless circuits' all valve of course mostly prewar designs but it was my default reference book for some years. I don't think I actually built any but got a lot of good ideas from them.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote:The first book I read of his was 'Sixty tested wireless circuits'.....
Peter
Second page of Jim's amazon list Peter :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, while Haynes is famous for the BoL, they have started doing this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Radios-Boomb ... B00GHO0D4G

Unfortunately it only LOOKS retro. The internals are much more current.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Here's another Journey book in the "light entertainment" category, but one step back from Tim Moore's "Cyclist who went out in the Cold". Its a "Lejog" tale but the start off point is absolute zero plus two pairs of Union Jack boxer shorts.

....and the self appointed mission...to cycle from Lands End to John O' Groats in three weeks, not spend a single penny, and place the success or failure of the mission at the mercy of the generosity of the great British public.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Country-P ... B0085W00M8

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Well, while Haynes is famous for the BoL, they have started doing this;

Clicked on your link James, interesting enough, but I like the bizarre and underneath the listing for the Radio, was the "Customers who bought this item also bought.....
Yes....this Image

.45 Rolls of Andrex Toilet Paper for £19.55 :!: :!: :!: (available with Amazon Prime too should you need it in a hurry!)

What on earth are Amazon doing selling Toilet Rolls!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:The first book I read of his was 'Sixty tested wireless circuits'.....
Peter
Second page of Jim's amazon list Peter :)

Regards Neil
That's the one, never thought I would see one of those again either, don't know where mine went, probably lent it to someone, I think that's how I got it. I borrowed it from a neighbour who had a brand new phase I Standard Vanguard - that will date it.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Well, while Haynes is famous for the BoL, they have started doing this;

Clicked on your link James, interesting enough, but I like the bizarre and underneath the listing for the Radio, was the "Customers who bought this item also bought.....
Yes....this Image

.45 Rolls of Andrex Toilet Paper for £19.55 :!: :!: :!: (available with Amazon Prime too should you need it in a hurry!)

What on earth are Amazon doing selling Toilet Rolls!

Regards Neil
I buy quite a bit of assorted stuff from Amazon and you should see some of the garbage on my recommendations list.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly, there is a lot carnage going on stuffing vintage wireless cabinets with modern 'innards' even providing iPlod connectivity and so on. Sacrilege :evil: It even happens with 'period' car radios...

If you want a retro FM wireless there are plenty available from the 60s and 70s and very serviceable they are too... Start off with a nice Hacker or Roberts...

I have one of these in my collection. In daily use and it sounds magnificent... Batteries (PP9s) last ages and are still freely available...

Just learn how to fix them and away you go... This forum has plenty of advice and offers much assistance even of the moderator rule it with a rod of iron :twisted:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php
NewcastleFalcon wrote:Here's another Journey book in the "light entertainment" category, but one step back from Tim Moore's "Cyclist who went out in the Cold". Its a "Lejog" tale but the start off point is absolute zero plus two pairs of Union Jack boxer shorts.
Thanks Neil :D That one is on my list of 'must reads' right now... It'll be ordered very shortly ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

May I offer my latest read to the library please?

Whilst many know about Bletchley Park's role in WWII breaking the Enigma codes, fewer know the hugely important role of the Y service and the many radio amateurs involved in the collection of signals in WWII. This book focuses on the Y service station in Gilnahirk in Northern Ireland and sets out the story of those radio amateurs involved and why Gilnahirk was such an important centre in the Y service operations.

Many who know about the Y Service will know that in WWII many RSGB members became 'Voluntary Interceptors' who collected German signals at home and posted these logs to the mysterious PO Box 25, Barnet, London. For those in Northern Ireland Gilnahirk was the final destination of PO Box 25 which collated the amateur logs along with the logs from the larger military 'Y' listening station, before they were telexed to the codebreakers at Bletchley Park. These operations were carried out here were of the upmost secrecy and its work carried on well beyond WWII despite the closure of Bletchley Park. The unpretentious buildings largely attracted little attention despite a burst of press attention in 1951 when the Ministry of Finance tendered for the construction of a radio station but refused to comment on who it was for. Working in utter secrecy until its eventual closure in 1978, the Gilanhirk site was heavily involved in collecting signals during the Cold war.

The Spies at Gilnahirk provides a fascinating insight into the activities of the Radio Security Service and this little known site at the core of the Enigma story. Recommended reading for anyone interested in WWII codebreaking and the Enigma story.

Size: 215 x 205mm, 144 pages
ISBN: 9781 9106 5708 9
A really great and interesting read about the gathering and supply of raw material for BP to work with...

Best obtained from the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) here: http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online ... ks_30.html

Enjoy!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:May I offer my latest read to the library please?

A really great and interesting read about the gathering and supply of raw material for BP to work with...

Best obtained from the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) here: http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online ... ks_30.html

Enjoy!
That is just the type of thing that will do wonders for the Picked Egg Library's growing reputation as a place to find interesting books, as well as gratuitous off-topic pictures of old petrol stations from the 1930's, selling Essoline and Shell brands, from hand operated pumps.

It does come from Gilnahirk though :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Dec 2016, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a lovely picture Neil :D Surprised there was a petrol station there as the book alludes that it was a very remote place and chosen especially because of that for the radio station.. It didn't have electricity...

We have an FCF member who lives in Gilnahirk. I hope he'll come forward and add some good stuff to this topic...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That's a lovely picture Neil :D Surprised there was a petrol station there as the book alludes that it was a very remote place and chosen especially because of that for the radio station.. It didn't have electricity.....
Maybe there are 2 Gilnahirks then, because that one is an area of Belfast as far as I can work out, and not exactly remote.

Its even got a Tyres and Exhausts place!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the same one Neil... It was remote in 1940 but a lot has changed since then. I believe the original radio station site is now lost under a housing estate!
Jim