Just passed your driving test? ....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Just passed your driving test? ....

Post by CitroJim »

You're right Neil, belt colours are very variable across different martial arts and even within... Blue is a low belt in our association bit in other associations it can be a high belt...

The system I described is more or less what our association (TASK - Traditional Association of Shotokan Karate) uses..

As for Dan grades they are very hard to achieve and for me 3rd Dan is about right... Dan grades above 5th tend to be awarded for special reasons - often through significant contribution to the art or association so on here say, certifiably recording all AA boxes in the UK would be recognised with the award of a high Dan grade ;)

Our Shihan (Association Master) is an 8th Dan, is in his mid -70s and has been practising karate all his life and has spent a considerable time in Japan training and learning the art.

He has his own Wikipedia entry... He's a great bloke and very interesting to speak to... He is our grading examiner and critically appraises our performance of kata...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Neil

We have two peugeot 406 hdi estates, one I paid £400 for and the other £350, they are very reliable, economical and cheap to repair and the insurance is around £180, gone up somewhat this year. The £400 pound one is a GLX and we have covered over 10,000 miles in it so far with no serious problems.

I am happier with these than I would be a new car - and I can repair them myself.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I do think now though that the standard of car you can pick up today in the bargain basement range under £500 is far better than the collection of cheap rust buckets available in my first few years of motoring.
Regards Neil
Peter

Your experience backs up my own view. I paid £380 back in 1978 for a 10 year old mini and all these years later a 2016 £380 would by me a far better preserved car than it did in 1978! despite all the "inflation" of the intervening years and the corresponding greater value of original 1978 £380.

Regards Neil

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: I am happier with these than I would be a new car - and I can repair them myself.
Absolutely :D It's just like me with Gabriel - far happier...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The random hand of the FCF Archives February Ferret has selected this thread. With the subject matter being perennial, I think we can add a bit more to the thread, so join-in your own reminiscences if you can.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall, when I was taking my first driving test, making a hash of the parking. The examiner had asked me to reverse into a street parking place, but I got it wrong, with the rear wheel touching the kerb and stalling the car. The examiner told me that he could not ask me to try again, but if I wanted to I could see if I could do better. I evaluated the situation (I was not causing an obstruction, and I could not be sure that I would do a better job, and that if another vehicle were to turn up while I was making a second attempt I could be in their way), explained my thinking, and we carried on with the test. I was convinced that I had failed, so I relaxed and just carried on, hoping to learn from the experience for the next time. When we got back to the centre the examiner asked me a few questions. He then said that, while my parking had not been pretty, he agreed with my reasoning for my decision not to try again, ending with something like "Congratulations, Mr. Maxwell. You have passed the driving test.". I was utterly gobsmacked!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I took my driving test at a unique time. It was 1956 and the Suez crisis was on, as a result we had fuel rationing and as a result of that driving tests were suspended, but if you had a provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied, a concession that I took full advantage of. I had failed my first test and shortly afterwards read that my examiner had been jailed for driving test conspiracy, I don't know if that was entirely because I didn't offer him a bribe or whether my driving wasn't up to scratch :wink: but having survived driving during the crises and no doubt gaining quite a bit more experience I passed. The vehicle was a 1954 Austin A40 van.

Peter

Apologies, I didn't realised I had posted that before, my memory doesn't go back that far. I read Newcastle Falcon's after I had posted this one.
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 11:06 I took my driving test at a unique time. It was 1956 and the Suez crisis was on, as a result we had fuel rationing and as a result of that driving tests were suspended, but if you had a provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied, a concession that I took full advantage of. I had failed my first test and shortly afterwards read that my examiner had been jailed for driving test conspiracy, I don't know if that was entirely because I didn't offer him a bribe or whether my driving wasn't up to scratch :wink: but having survived driving during the crises and no doubt gaining quite a bit more experience I passed. The vehicle was a 1954 Austin A40 van.

Peter

Apologies, I didn't realised I had posted that before, my memory doesn't go back that far. I read Newcastle Falcon's after I had posted this one.
You have added some additional info to your original post back in 2016 Peter...always a chance it may inspire others to join in like you and James have done this morning! Everyone has a learner driver or driving test story!

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Mick has just posted up his own Driving Test reminisce here, plenty time for a few more...If you think should I or shouldn't I, just do it! Everyone has a learner driver/ driving test story.

viewtopic.php?p=743798#p743798

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Feb 2023, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I posted this on the February Archives thread but Neil pointed out it should be here so here is the post: #-o :-D

I guess I have an unusual driving test history. I passed my motorcycle test one month after my 16th birthday and then took the car test one month after my 17th birthday in my newly aquired Morris 1000, unfortunately I failed that test for passing too close to parked vehicles down a side street!! I was very peed off about the fail and swore I'd stick with the bike license for the rest of my life! By the time I was 18 I had need for more storage so I bought my first three wheeler a Mk6 Reliant sidevalve. Within months I changed to the Messerschmidt KR200 which in turn I relinquished pretty quickly and bought my first Reliant Supervan III (Del boys model). Further down the line I bought another Supervan III which was only really a spares van but I transferred its rear seat and windows into my original one and then ran that for 9 years claiming 35.5p per mile from BT in the process.

In 1982 I bought a brand new, top of the range, Reliant Rialto GLS Estate which really was a great machine. Eventually it was pointed out to me that if I wished to get further up the promotion ladder I needed to upgrade my transport to managerial status and so in April 1983 I reluctantly applied for another car test. The test came round in July and, having been driving three wheelers for 13+ years the test was a doddle and the examiner actually complimented me on my relaxed, confident and competent style!! I treated myself to my first brand new 4 wheel car on 1st August, the Ford Orion Ghia and two months later having gained promotion I bought my first Rally car the RS2000 Mk1 and the rest is history!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Many years ago I took my lorry artic test. My very first time behind the wheel took me, fairly promptly, straight down through The Old Steine in Brighton - those that know the area will understand why it's a bit of a baptism of fire for someone on their first drive with an artic. The chap I was partnered with to learn was already a week ahead with learning but he seemed to be struggling a bit - at one point he 'parked' the lorry with the front end firmly on the grass verge. When it came to his test he did actually pass, but confided that the examiner had said to him - "I've got more confidence in my little finger than you've got in your entire body, but unfortunately you did everything right so I'll have to pass you" Gulp ! :shock:
When it came to my test there was a T-junction very close to the test centre where you had to wait to pull across and into the road. Rather predictably, there was an endless parade of cars in both directions which made it 'unwise' to pull out. I commented to the examiner in a cheerful manner "Hope you brought a good book to read", his response "Yes, I have, but I didn't expect to need a packed lunch today as well" Oh bugger :cry: He did pass me on my first attempt, so it couldn't have been that bad :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Collecting a few more learner/driving test tales now for the old thread...excellent...still room for more.

Steve posted his here
viewtopic.php?p=743810#p743810

as did Dormouse!
viewtopic.php?p=743816#p743816

as did Peter!
viewtopic.php?p=743831#p743831

all good stuff!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 04 Feb 2023, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Something just occurred to me - I've done 3 driving tests in my time : Car, lorry, and bike in that order. I had the same examiner on two of those - car and lorry I think. His surname was something like Alevoine, but he was known as Valvoline :lol: Life and soul of the party he was :---)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 21:24 ........ but he was known as Valvoline ..........
You didn't have to grease his palm then? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Don't it make you feel old.

One of the pleasures of learning to drive on the lorry was frequenting some of the 'greasy spoon' cafes in Sussex. We made one visit to the Fairmile Bottom cafe near Arundel (aka Feel My Bottom due to some of the activities that took place there at certain times of the day). A good few years ago that cafe was lifted lock, stock and barrel and rebuilt as an exhibit at the Amberley heritage museum. It's one thing to see an item you might have once used in a museum, but to see an actual building :shock: Every time I see it now I feel older :?