What do you know about Norfolk?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What do you know about Norfolk?

Post by CitroJim »

Those signs show a bit of care and civic pride. I like :D

Olney has its town name formed out box hedging growing on a low bank on the southbound A509 going into town and at the right part of the year, lots of annual flowers are interspersed with it...

Sadly I can't find an image but again, like the Norfolk signs, it's a nice caring touch and gives out an impression of a loved town - which it is...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

There are literally hundreds of those picturesque signs in Norfolk and Suffolk as well.

This is Olney's in Bucks,

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You know Neil, I ride past that one so often but never notice it... Can you find an image of the box hedging spelling 'Olney' though? Now there's a challenge...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:You know Neil, I ride past that one so often but never notice it... Can you find an image of the box hedging spelling 'Olney' though? Now there's a challenge...

Bingo :!: :!: :!: :-D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.16202 ... 312!8i6656

very nice garage in olney on my "virtual drive thru" :-D but...images are from 2009, and I discover planning consent in 2015 to convert it into a house! (Hilary Brocks)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Neil :D Well done!

Yes, sad about Hilary Brock... The end of an era and sadly missed :(
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Should have added that the bank on which the 'Olney' box hedging sits is in fact the remains of a railway embankment and bridge abutment that used to carry the Northampton - Bedford line across the road...

A victim of Beeching :(
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

So for old times sake, before the little google car with the camera, updates an obliterates good old Hilary Brock from Steetview....here it is safe on the FCF!

Jim, thats exactly the picture you posted up in the "New Garage For Newport Pagnell" thread, but worth another airing. So is it all done and dusted now, and turned into a house?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it is. I noticed it had gone a couple of weekends ago when I rode through Olney..

Some more bad news. I looks like we won't be getting our new garage in Newport Pagnell, the retro art-deco one, after all. The site has just gone up for sale this week :(
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Following the visit of Elma and Citrojim at the weekend, in the early hours of Sunday morning, Norfolk Police have reported ...
'Audacious' theft of 1,500 geese from land near Norwich.

Officers have appealed to anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Bawburgh area, just west of Norwich, to come forward. "They're not the kind of numbers you could sell down your local pub." (although I bet the Pickled Egg could shift a few!) John Newton, National Farmers Union county adviser, said they were "clearly stolen to order".
How many geese can you fit into a brace of Xantias? :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Having had 1 of 4 chickens escape in the back of a C5...I can imagine the carnage...................1 chicken can cover most of the back of a car in crap....think what 700 Geese would do in a Xantia :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:think what 700 Geese would do in a Xantia :)
Goose it well and truly :lol:

Last Thursday I was intrigued to see a flock of what were clearly domestic geese just like the stolen ones in the picture above when I went for my 'prisoner's exercise' walk around our works compound at lunchtime... In the middle of the compound we have a large natural pond and gathered on a low bank to the side of it there were several hundred of those geese; all very tame and not in the least bothered about people walking by them.

I wondered then where they might have come from. Now I wouldn't mind betting they are/were part of that stolen flock.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The geese I spoke of earlier are still living beside our pond at work as of lunchtime today ;)

If anything they have become even tamer...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

It's been a while...some new members have joined from Norfolk in the meantime, but still the Brancaster AA Box remains unclaimed :!:

..but I do know something else about Norfolk.....

If you like popular music like I do...What links Maggie May, Penny Lane, Wild Thing, Layla, and Mr Blue Sky :?:

This.....

http://retrocampersnorfolk.co.uk/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I think the name 'Maggie May' might be about to return to popular parlance, judging by the last few weeks . . . :roll:
Chris
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: . . . If you like popular music like I do...What links Maggie May, Penny Lane, Wild Thing, Layla, and Mr Blue Sky :?:

This.....

http://retrocampersnorfolk.co.uk/

Regards Neil

Why stop there? Not that the full ist of names/titles would've helped.

Now try this: what do Life on Mars & Promised Land have in common?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o