The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! What a girl :) Now that's the kind of stuff I love to read and be inspired by...

And I do get inspired too... A great deal of mine has come from reading that kind of stuff...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I do like some of her quotes and her just do it attitude. I imagine many people would plan such and expedition in great detail, and acquire thousands of pounds worth of the approriate gear for all eventualities. Everyone is different of course, and the planning and preparation can be part of the enjoyment as well.

There's something insipring and exciting though about just setting off with the minimum of gear and letting the "Trail Magic" just happen to get you through.
from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood
In 1970, at age 83, while visiting Appalachian Outfitters in Oakton, Virginia she was asked what she thought about the latest lightweight backpacking gear. Emma advised: "Make a rain cape, and an over the shoulder sling bag, and buy a sturdy pair of Keds tennis shoes. Stop at local groceries and pick up Vienna sausages... most everything else to eat you can find beside the trail... and by the way those wild onions are not called "Ramps"... they are "Rampions" ... a ramp is an inclined plane."
Hear, Hear!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

and by the way those wild onions are not called "Ramps"... they are "Rampions" ... a ramp is an inclined plane."

:rofl2:

Hear Hear Indeed!

That quote is utterly priceless as well as beautiful...

I can hear her saying it....

Excellent :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

.......the long distance hiker's friend :!:

Not to be confused with

Although maybe a source of a fair few calories :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 25 Nov 2016, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wonder if they would be good for a long distance runner?
Jim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

CitroJim wrote:I just adore the front cover drawing style on those old Practical Motorists :D They capture something a photograph just cannot and that makes them very special...

I have a load of old copies of Practical Wireless from around that period and they have exactly the same style of drawings on the front cover....

Same publisher and artist perhaps?
Yes, at one time they were all edited by F J Camm ( a 'practical engineer' like many of us), and were popularly known as 'Camm's Comics'.

PM once ran a series, 'Build your own car' ... out of plywood :shock:
I wonder if any were actually built or survived?
NewcastleFalcon

dnsey wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I just adore the front cover drawing style on those old Practical Motorists :D They capture something a photograph just cannot and that makes them very special...

I have a load of old copies of Practical Wireless from around that period and they have exactly the same style of drawings on the front cover....

Same publisher and artist perhaps?
Yes, at one time they were all edited by F J Camm ( a 'practical engineer' like many of us), and were popularly known as 'Camm's Comics'.

PM once ran a series, 'Build your own car' ... out of plywood :shock:
I wonder if any were actually built or survived?
Excellent find Dsney :!: There is at least one book about him not sure how widely available it is but here's the front cover anyway for the Pickled Egg library :-D .

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh :) always knew of F.J.Camms involvement with Practical Wireless but not his involvement with Practical Motorist.

On reflection I ought as i have a book on all manner of things mechanical edited by him. I must dig it put for the library. Had it since I was a boy and learned loads from it over the years...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Should any FCF members wish to make their own Car Radio, The Pickled Egg library now has this handy guide from the pages of "Practical Wireless" :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I well remember Camm's comics and spent most of my pocket money on them along with the occasional more 'highbrow' Wireless world which was 2/- my pocket money was only 1/6d. I have a box of Wireless world mags in the loft dated around 1950 on which is stamped my name and address with my 'John Bull printing outfit, anyone remember those?

I seem to remember that F J Camm also published 'Practical Gardening' so he was a good all rounder.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Did F.J.Camm drive a Rover P4 by any chance?

I'll have to look and see if I have that copy of Practical Wireless in my collection ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: I have a box of Wireless world mags in the loft dated around 1950 on which is stamped my name and address with my 'John Bull printing outfit, anyone remember those?.....
Peter
Yes me for one!
CitroJim wrote:Did F.J.Camm drive a Rover P4 by any chance?
Now Jim, you know that is an impossible question to answer, the internet isn't that good :!: :-D

Other stuff like his brother designed the Hawker Hurricane, and he was a Windsor boy for all his life...easy to find :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The F.J.Camm book I have is the 'News Chronicle Encyclopaedia Of Popular Mechanics'

Looking it up on the 'net revealed just what a prolific authour he was.

here's a listing from Amazon of just some of his books and look at the diversity of subjects!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-F-J-Camm ... 20J%20Camm
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: Looking it up on the 'net revealed just what a prolific authour he was.
wondered if you would be tempted by his "Every Cyclist's Handbook"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote: Looking it up on the 'net revealed just what a prolific authour he was.
wondered if you would be tempted by his "Every Cyclist's Handbook"
Very much so Neil, I'm tempted to order it and certainly it should take its rightful place in the cycling section of the PE Library ;) It'll be a good companion for the Tim Moore books already there...
Jim