The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

The Pickled Egg Library

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Lets try this one see how it goes. From time to time I have deposited something interesting in the Pickled Egg snug hopefully for others to enjoy. Books/magazines/newspaper articles that sort of thing. We all have our different interests but if you have come across a bit of literature which you have enjoyed, post it up here in the Pickled Egg Library.

I'll start it off with this nice pair, which look like a good read to me. Jim has already mentioned and highly recommended the "French Revolutions" one on a nice FCF tangent on the "Interesting/Awful Camper Vans" thread, but the "new" one also looks good. Both by Tim Moore, the "Bill Bryson on two wheels"

ImageImage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by Peter.N. »

I suspect they are a bit newer then the National Geographic I picked up in a hospital waiting room some years ago. I thought the advertised TV looked a bit old but it was American, when I put the magazine down I glanced at the front cover which read in part 'August 1949'

I picked up a Readers Digest in the dentists also some years ago and got about half way through a very interesting story when I was called in, the next time I went I quite accidentally picked up the same magazine and finished the story.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent choices Neil and an excellent thread which I'm sure will become very popular very soon...

Can I add this one so we have a Tim Moore Trilogy please?

Maybe we can also have a section for periodicals such as the Boundless magazine?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Although they are not car related, could I add a couple of suggestions. They are both by Farley Mowat (a Canadian author), and are "Never Cry Wolf" (when he studied a family of timber wolves) and "The Boat that Wouldn't Float" (which I found was hilarious).

I am tempted to suggest the books my Mother wrote, but I am not sure if I would be accused of nepotism!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A non-floating boat James? Sounds intriguing... I must look that one up...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

With a very temperamental engine (a Bolinder, IIRC). On one occasion when they were heading out they tried to tack, but failed (ending up heading towards rocks). Somebody shot down into the engine space and tried to start the engine. It did start, but, being bloody minded, it ran in reverse. This, however, was what they had hoped for. Somebody on shore (who was an avid film goer) said he saw the boat slow down, stop, and then go into reverse. He half expected it to back to dock, furling its sails (in much the way it would if you ran a film backwards).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

May I offer this to to the library?

It is the life and work of Sir Harry Ricardo who, amongst many achievements, designed the first commercially successful diesel car engine in the Citroen Rosalie and also designed the Ricardo Comet pre-chamber as used in many IDI automotive diesels, including the XUD and was instrumental in the success of these engines..

It is an excellent and very illuminating read...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Reading this at the moment...

No Citroen or automotive content but an incredibly absorbing and horrifying tale...

I'm enjoying it immensely and recommend it highly...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:May I offer this to to the library?...
Of course :-D the more the better as far as I am concerned. I may even use the Pickled Egg Library as a metaphorical Public Convenience to deposit stuff I discover so I can find it again!

Here's an example of a very weighty reference tome, which I'll put in the reference section should anyone ever wish to know about the roads, stagecoaches, inns and Country Seats in the early 1800's. :!:
Cary's New Itinerary....

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Now that is quite a tome Neil and just the sort of book I'd love. I can read about and study roads for hours and I have an allied and very deep love of maps... I can spend hours looking at maps for pure pleasure so a nice set of OS maps would be good to see in the library ;)

Meanwhile, may I offer another title by the authour of Sir Harry Ricardo's biography I've already offered...

This one maintains John Reynold's very high literary standards and is another excellent read..

Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote:I suspect they are a bit newer then the National Geographic I picked up in a hospital waiting room some years ago.... 'August 1949'........
Peter
CitroJim wrote: Maybe we can also have a section for periodicals such as the Boundless magazine?
Yes,
CitroJim wrote: He (Tim Moore) is a car enthusiast and occasionally he writes about road trips in various exotica; his latest was an account of driving the iconic Coast to Coast route in Northern England in a Tesla. This was published in the Boundless (CSMA) members magazine... It was written in the same style as his cycling yarns...
Boundless...page 34 to 45!

http://fliphtml5.com/uuuh/mnvy/basic

I very much like an old magazine and can extract a disproportionate amount of entertainment and amusement from them, compared to the price you can get them for. The artwork and adverts from things like this well worth the £3.50 each I paid at the Drift Inn Cafe at Cresswell ( also very highly recommended if you are ever up exploring the Northumberland Coast).

ImageImage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote:I suspect they are a bit newer then the National Geographic I picked up in a hospital waiting room some years ago. I thought the advertised TV looked a bit old but it was American, when I put the magazine down I glanced at the front cover which read in part 'August 1949'
Peter
Just a bit more Peter, should you wish to revisit that particular August 1949 issue of National Geographic their Archive proudly proclaims.....Every Story, Every Photograph, Every Issue (even the ads) since 1888.

http://archive.nationalgeographic.com/d ... nding.aspx

You have to subscribe of course, but quite a fantastic resource, and todays price for 12 months of magazines, and access to the digital archive is less than 4 gallons of petrol!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well I'm blowed, never thought I would see one of those again, thanks for that.

I had a Vauxhall Velox like the red one with whitewall tyres in the in the 1/3d Practical Motorist, only not that colour, in fact I don't ever remember seeing one that colour - very nice though. I fitted a Perkins diesel in one in 1959.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I just adore the front cover drawing style on those old Practical Motorists :D They capture something a photograph just cannot and that makes them very special...

I have a load of old copies of Practical Wireless from around that period and they have exactly the same style of drawings on the front cover....

Same publisher and artist perhaps?
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I'll just slip this one in. Turns out the National Geograhic Magazine of August 1949, from a doctor's waiting room, and in particular the 19-page spread with colour photographs titled "Skyline Trail from Maine to Georgia" inspired "Grandma Gatewood" as she was affectionately known to attempt the Appalachian Trail.

Bit more about it here

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ddL ... navlinks_s

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey