Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by CitroJim »

The fire was in 1970 and was started by some boys playing, possibly lighting a fire by the side of the track to keep warm... The original bridge tubes that carried the rail lines - and you can see a portion of one in one of the pictures above - were lined with pine and sealed with pitch. It was perfect for propagating a fire...

I believe the bridge was closed for two years to effect repairs and strengthening works that would eventually allow the two-tier decks - one for road and one for rail - that would eventually be built. It was during the 1970-72 work that the arches under the bridge were installed and the old tubes fully removed.

Such a shame the lions suffered the ignominy of being more or less hidden as a result of this...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Craigellachie Bridge was featured on one of Julia Bradbury's walks round several distilleries IIRC. She was walking the now defunct Speyside railway, the removal of which left a huge distillery "high and dry" :cry: :cry: .
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, good old Julia :D I find her and her walks incredibly entertaining and I have to admit I rather fancy her... I'll bet she expressly enjoyed that particular walk...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Jim wrote - "and I have to admit I rather fancy her"
yes Jim, you, me and a few million others no doubt :wink: :) :rofl2:
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

How about a connection between this and
The Craigellachie Bridge

https://www.pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk ... ALES-8.jpg

from https://www.plaskynastoncanalgroup.org/ ... n-foundry/

The Craigellachie Bridge, erected between 1812 & 1814 with a span of 150ft on the River Spey in Scotland. This bridge was cast and forged at the Plas Kynaston Iron Foundry, Cefn Mawr, and then shipped across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct along the Elsmere Canal, or what is the now called the Llangollen Canal and on to Chester, where it was then loaded onto a sloop for shipment by sea to Spey mouth.
http://www.britainexpress.com/images/at ... e-7168.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That is an amazing connection... Been across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct :D Utterly breathtaking, as is the scenery and setting...
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Even the Great IKB didn't get things quite right first time round. Some time after building the spendid Wharncliffe Viaduct in Hanwell, to carry the GWR across River Brent valley, extra width had to be added as the trains got wider, it seems:

At least they did a pukka job.

Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if the reason they had to widen the bridge is because of IK Brunels' broad gauge railways. They were 7' 1/4" wide, as opposed to 4' 8 1/2" standard gauge. One thing that never happened with the broad gauge rolling stock was that it never fell over when it derailed on the level (it might have done if it came off an embankment).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

As ever Wiki comes up with plenty of interesting information about Wharncliffe Viaduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharncliffe_Viaduct

from Bat Colonies in its hollow columns, to the additional widening to take another line, in addition to the original 2 broad guage line capacity giving a 4-line standard guage capacity.

Interesting also that one of the first locomotives across it was the broad guage loco "North Star" supplied by Robert Stephenson son of George who must have been a serious rival to IKB and his broad guage railway at the time.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ograph.jpg

Interesting little piece also on it being the first viaduct to carry electric telegraph.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Odd that about the Hanwell Viaduct as it would have built for IKB's 7' 1/4" gauge from the outset...

Maybe it was originally single track and it was later dualled... Or tripled or quadrupled perhaps?

Need to look at a later aerial view and see how much room there is with the current tracks...

I know IKB's bridge across the A420 near Swindon was originally built for two 7 foot tracks, as was Box Tunnel.... I go under the bridge at Swindon to know it's never been widened since it was built...

It's an interesting bridge in that it's two arches and the road has to split into two single lanes to pass below it. One lane per arch - not unlike the viaduct between J14 and J15 on the M25 except there each arch takes four lanes each...

EDIT: Love the Mr. Men stamps Neil :D Made me smile just then!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Came across a link to a French Auction House on another thread on the FCF...never heard of it before so took a look.

Well taking place this very day is an auction of some of this artist's work, and associated memorabillia.

http://scd.en.rfi.fr/sites/english.file ... e-ds_0.jpg

Expected to fetch some eye-watering prices too

regards Neil

edit.......The first strip, a page from the 1954 Explorers on the Moon sold for 1.55 million euros, auctioneers Artcurial announced on Saturday.
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:39, edited 3 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....you could have the whole book for £7.99...in colour!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....and on a Tintin theme if you like cars this is as comprehensive site as there is for the cars which appeared in Tintin as drawn by Herge alongside pics of the actual car.

http://dardel.info/tintin/indexE.html

like this

http://dardel.info/tintin/MG1100_s.jpghttp://dardel.info/tintin/AutosOrig/MG1100_s.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And they did fetch eye-watering prices too! £1.3M for an original drawing from 'Explorers On the Moon'...

My all-time favourite Tin Tin story and I love Tin Tin even now...
Jim