Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by white exec »

Well, you did ask, Jim...

P6 much used as Police chase car - the 3500S, that is. Always amusing to see episodes on tv where the Police car in question, in Police strip, is a 2000, even a 2000 Auto. Having owned one of these decidedly leisurely beasts, I can confirm they were definitely not used as squad cars!

I know the owners' clubs are regularly used to provide film cars, but authenticity can get forgotten sometimes. Even some episodes of Foyle's War sported cars not yet made - post-war cars in pre-war stories! Call me an old anorak...

Ex-Police Rovers fairly easily spotted by butchered dashboards, but some surprises too - eg lifting out a rear-seat cushion and finding a lockable steel box underneath. That was where the firearms were carried in the Met.

Did convert my 3500S to 5-speed, using an SD1 box. Had to scratch around endless scrapyards to find a V8 box, and in desperation actually went to my Unipart counter, as I'd been tipped off that SD1 V8 boxes, new, were now "on clearance". Well, they were (at a slightly tempting £600) but were all "Police Spec". The difference? Even closer bearing tolerances, and a much higher reverse gear. 'For reverse chases down motorway hard-shoulders' I was told by a friend in the force. That was the other way to spot an ex-Police chase vehicle: knackered reverse gear.

Did take a group of school pupils round Crawley magistrates court one day. The cop shop was part of the same complex, and round the back was the motor pool and maintenance area. Interesting to see brand new SD1 V8 Vitesses being debadged and tuned. Good for 150mph they said.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Well, you did ask, Jim....
I did and I'm very happy with the result Chris :D

Never knew that about the reverse gear - interesting!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Had to smile when I read the bit about the Hampshire Police of ‘lapping it up in luxury :-D ’. Having done a few miles in my friends 3 Amazons, all I can say is luxurious they were not - good solid reliable workhorse though and the bodies seemed impervious to rust. He lives in Gex near Geneva, so snow and salt on the Faucille a plenty :wink:. All gone now and driving a Peugeot; and some very old motorcycles.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Saw an Amazon the other day near home... Looks like it as in daily use judging by how scruffy it looked...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

As there were a few BMC/Leyland cars mentioned there. When I was a lad.... In the school holidays it was possible to get jobs at Longbridge. I was there one year and had to count a bin full of Mini camshafts. Not one of them had the same profile!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:I was there one year and had to count a bin full of Mini camshafts. Not one of them had the same profile!
That figures... Did they then select from amongst the batches for sporty ones and cooking ones? I was intrigued to learn they do that with batches of transistors... Those that don't make the grade are re-branded as lower performance ones...

I believe the same happens with computer stuff - based on speed. So if a processor doesn't cut it at 3MHz or whatever it gets sold as a 2MHz one...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, that is true. Intel (and the others) always aim to make the best CPUs they can. They are then put through a vigorous testing process (which includes clock speed checks). The CPUs are then locked to the speeds they reliable performed at and sold as such. This also helps them to know when they are getting close to the next generation CPU capability. I do not know what the threshold is set for (but it is linked to what percentage of CPUs hit the top targets), but when they hit that Intel (and the others) know they should be able to produce and sell the next generation CPUs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes some four core CPUs with a bad core were marketed as three core. Occasionally it was possible to open up the bad core to reactivate it.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well seeing as one of our newest members to introduce themselves is from Teesside, and many of us like a bridge or two, and I certainly like an artistic image...without furthur ado I give you....

http://i4.gazettelive.co.uk/incoming/ar ... 311864.jpg

Transporter Bridges are pretty unique on a world-wide scale with probably less than a dozen still in use, although in Britain there is another one at Newport in Wales. Little bit of a fascinating fact from Wiki
In 1974, the comedy actor Terry Scott, travelling between his hotel in Middlesbrough and a performance at the Billingham Forum, mistook the bridge for a regular toll crossing and drove his car off the end of the roadway, landing in the safety netting beneath.
Regards Neil

This is the full set, larger images here https://rmspecialstamps.com/collections/bridges/
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'm pleased to see Menai Bridge in there. Heres a picture of one of the Lions guarding it and a section of the old rail bridge, very few people seem to know how to find these.
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely :D My perfect set of stamps encompassing many of my very favourite bridges!

I don't generally collect but I may well make an exception for those,...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

elma wrote:I'm pleased to see Menai Bridge in there. Heres a picture of one of the Lions guarding it and a section of the old rail bridge, very few people seem to know how to find these.
Never tried it but, acccording to Wiki although the Lions are "down below" and out of sight to drivers using the Britannia bridge, they can be seen from the North Wales Coast Line as it crosses the Britannia Bridge at a lower level.

So a short train trip from Bangor to Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch should allow a glimpse of the lions :-D .

Didn't see the Lions on our short holiday to North Wales earlier in the year, but did walk across the Menai bridge.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Lovely :D My perfect set of stamps encompassing many of my very favourite bridges!

I don't generally collect but I may well make an exception for those,...
I have scored 7/10 for those bridges,

Would be nice to get 10/10

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2017, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Craigellachie Bridge is a real gorgeous one :D A new one for me but immediately gone onto my favourites list...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
elma wrote:I'm pleased to see Menai Bridge in there. Heres a picture of one of the Lions guarding it and a section of the old rail bridge, very few people seem to know how to find these.
Never tried it but, acccording to Wiki although the Lions are "down below" and out of sight to drivers using the Britannia bridge, they can be seen from the North Wales Coast Line as it crosses the Britannia Bridge at a lower level.

So a short train trip from Bangor to Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch should allow a glimpse of the lions :-D .

Didn't see the Lions on our short holiday to North Wales earlier in the year, but did walk across the Menai bridge.

Regards Neil
That's right, the old bridge only had one level and they could be seen. It suffered a fire at some point and was rebuilt then later a top road was added from which the lions are invisible.
My favourite artefact, no picture though, is a massive capstan concreted into the bank on the mainland. It was used to manuver barges during construction by horses. I'm going to go down there this weekend and get some good pictures to share. It's quite an amazing little shrine to engineering immediately around and under Menai bridge.