Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by demag »

They're nice, they just look like slate.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

demag wrote:They're nice, they just look like slate.
You can see the thinking, the solar tiles are claimed to be a "better roof", while visually looking very much like conventional roof coverings like slate, and provide the benefit of energy generated to be stored in Tesla's "Powerwall" battery, designed to run your home and car.

Very big money "investment" or gamble, but not short of takers backing Tesla to come up with big returns if successful.

Some doubters as well though as you may expect regarding the solar tiles venture, as being a risky distraction from Tesla’s plans to bring the Model 3 car to market next year, and to increase output at both its factory in Fremont, California, and Gigafactory battery plant near Reno, Nevada. to keep up with demand.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Now that is a good idea. Much better than the PV panels that sit a few inches above an existing roof and make excellent roosts for pigeons...

One house near me is now so plagued by pigeons to the extent the roof is covered in them.. Several hundred roost under them...

The mess they make is terrible...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not had any pigeons in mine yet Jim.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Steve, Give it time, LOL
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Been over two years :)
Often have starlings and blackbirds nesting in the attic and this year I kept thinking I could hear voices - it was bees in the attic right above my bed.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I hope they leave you some honey.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Not had any pigeons in mine yet Jim.
You're lucky Steve! All the panels on houses locally seem to be pigeon-magnets...

This road looks like some sort of pigeon sanctuary. It's not pleasant...

Pigeons are just flying rats and a veritable pest...

What we badly need around here is a couple of resident Harris Hawks ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Not had any pigeons in mine yet Jim.
You're lucky Steve! All the panels on houses locally seem to be pigeon-magnets...

This road looks like some sort of pigeon sanctuary. It's not pleasant...

Pigeons are just flying rats and a veritable pest...

What we badly need around here is a couple of resident Harris Hawks ;)
Yes in Steve's neck of the woods there is of course the awesome prescence of the legendary Newcastle Falcon which maybe acting as a deterrent!

The "gutter Hedgehog" is apparently totally ineffective, as I suspect the wire-mesh coverings will also prove to be. I have a grudging respect for our resident jackdaws. They will destroy the wire chimney pot covers eventually and find a way in to build their nests, as I suspect will be the case with the pigeons and expensively installed chicken-wire on the roof panels.

I strongly supsect Elon Musk of Tesla must have been wandering the streets of Newort Pagnell seen the pigeon problem and taken inspiration for the Tesla solar tile :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

.....yes and companies are swift to cash in on solutions to the problem.

http://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre. ... n_hawk.jpg

Interesting image which raises the question.....

How much instructional information could there possibly be needed for a plastic falcon and 2 cable ties that would require the storage resources of a CD, rather than a bit of paper with less than 50 words on it?

and also does the plastic falcon require the resources of a warranty claims department, or would you be put off purchasing a plastic falcon if it didn't include at least a 12 month warranty?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:35, edited 4 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I strongly supsect Elon Musk of Tesla must have been wandering the streets of Newort Pagnell seen the pigeon problem and taken inspiration for the Tesla solar tile :-D
Lots of inspiration here Neil :lol:

If he could replace all those here with his then he'd be seen as a great saviour and something of a hero... I'm getting fed up with them swooping down on me in the mornings when I walk to the pool and due to their mess I have lost my spare sparking space at another location as that space is now knee-deep in pigeon poo - the house on the plot is the one worst affected by the problem.

One morning I must take a photo of all the hundreds of the pigeons literally covering the roof :twisted:

They also make an additional mess on Mondays when they rip open bin bags...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, I just dug out that Pigeon Control website and sent the link to a neighbour with the worst of the problem ;)

We may know soon if the decoy hawk works...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: One morning I must take a photo of all the hundreds of the pigeons literally covering the roof :twisted:
Yes! That's what "Picture (s) of the Day" is all about. Already I know more about Plastic Falcons and Gutter Hedgehogs than I did yesterday :-D

I am wondering whether the Plastic Falcon has some sophisticated electronics and sensors inside to issue a blood curdling shriek just as the pigeons are coming in to land. Maybe the instructional CD is required for how to change the batteries :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a woman over the road with a couple of owls, a falcon and an eagle, may have a deterrent effect on the pigeons.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'd love to get to know her Steve, I love raptors greatly ;)
Jim