Theoretical engine change vs DVLA

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Theoretical engine change vs DVLA

Post by spider »

I was wondering about this as there's not enough sensible information that I can see.

Its clearly stated if you increase your engine CC you have to provide details so that either you pay more tax due to emissions or for older cars (the part I'm interested in) if you go from < 1600cc to greater than. It clearly states for this that the tax is immediately due (as expected!)

What is not clear, is lets say if on a pre 2000 car reduce the engine size from say over 1600 to 1400. This would then 'qualify' for the lower VED. To be fair it ought to immediately apply but I guess they will be "grabbing" and only apply it on a fresh month (unlike the other way around!)

Has anyone had any experience with a CC change and dealing with the DVLA ? I'm really interested in this in pre 2000/2001 vehicles where its based on engine size rather than exhaust output. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Theoretical engine change vs DVLA

Post by red_dwarfers »

Interesting question, I'll follow with interest. I've had dealings with changing the engine number on the V5 but that was a like for like swap.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
spider

Post by spider »

red_dwarfers wrote:Interesting question, I'll follow with interest. I've had dealings with changing the engine number on the V5 but that was a like for like swap.
Yes I can see it being a bit of a "£$"£$£" if you have a post 2001 car where its done on emission level. Pre that, its one of two cc bands typically. There's no issue to increase it (from their 'tax' point of view) as you have to pay it from that date. Decreasing well, I'd expectt they would want more proof etc due to the potential for loss of funds but how much proof I'm not sure.

As mentioned really interested if anyone has tried this.

If you wanted a practical example: Lets say you get a 205 1.8D and whip the unit out and drop in a 1.5TUD instead. This is actually a straight-ish swap apart from a couple of hoses (you need the transmission as well) and not a massive difference in performance to a 106D. To be honest its slightly better as (RHD at least) the pedals / driving position is more sensible in the 205.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm watching this with interest too ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
yannbeam
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 07 Picasso 1.6 95 Xantia VSX 97 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive Xantia 2.0tct Estate Talbot Sunbeam TI

Post by yannbeam »

When I changed the engine in my bike for a smaller one the DVLA wouldnt alter the V5 without documentary proof. They wanted the recipt from the garage that did the work or an engineers report. After several phoncalls I eventually convinced them to accept the receipt for the new engine as proof. I try to avoid dealing with the DVLA as much as possible !
Ian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

yannbeam wrote:I try to avoid dealing with the DVLA as much as possible !
Generally a good attitude to take but I do understand the DVLA have got better in recent times...

There was an example of a private plate transfer that went very smoothly the other day :lol:

May have been a one-off of course!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

For the 'example' there's actually one in this 'topic elsewhere' > http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php ... #pid520219 although the first post (a cobbled hybrid DW8 turbo) is a bit odd. You can just about see the TUD5 sat in the 205 though , although I'd prefer a cambelt cover personally ( ! ) :D

I'm unable to find any other sensible pics.
Andy.

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Give them a call and talk it through with them.
I rang them to discuss turning the back end of a car into a trailer and found them very helpful.

(for those that are interested... My query was that trailers now need to have a VIN and I wanted to explore whether I would need to get the trailer type inspected and issued with a new VIN at cost, or whether I could keep the original car VIN and get it re-classified as a 2 wheel trailer, at zero cost and future tax/SORN liability - they said yes, take lots of pictures during the conversion, send it into them with the revised V5 details and it would be fine :D ). And no, project not yet finished...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting. Is the needing of a trailer VIN retrospective?

I ask as I have a very old (but very good) small trailer here and it has no identification marks on it whatsoever...

Do I now have to register it?
Jim

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

No it's not retrospective. It was a change introduced a good number of years ago now (i forget when) but was only applicable to new build trailers (pro or diy) from that date.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Large trailers here are not only vehicle test items, but also have their own registration numbers (plates) over a certain size, red in colour, and always beginning R xxx xxxx (for Remolque, trailer).
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know that trailers have been getting VIN numbers for a while now. On one of the Police Action! style of programs I saw a trailer getting seized, as the visible ID marks had been obliterated. The Police found a hidden mark, were able to prove it was stolen, and got it back. The 'owners' could prove that they had purchased it through a popular auction site, were not detained, and got their money back from another well known online cash management site.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh good. So no retrospective action needed with my little trailer then :D
Jim