Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Definitely plenty of interest in Devizes.....even the 1960's Library has a Nuclear bunker in its basement all revealed towards the end of the Devizes in wartime walk video linked too.
Regards Neil
Nice to see the little bunker under the library :) I've been in many such places, but never visited the Devizes one before. Thanks for the link, Neil.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote:
Nice to see the little bunker under the library :) I've been in many such places, but never visited the Devizes one before. Thanks for the link, Neil.
My pleasure, thanks bobins :) . Just from the little link to Devizes, I turned up loads of interesting little trails to explore too many to mention them all. The P.O.W. Camp, and the great escape plot, had consequential links to a P.O.W. Camp in Comrie Scotland....interesting to dig out the story on that.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
My pleasure, thanks bobins :) . Just from the little link to Devizes, I turned up loads of interesting little trails to explore too many to mention them all. The P.O.W. Camp, and the great escape plot, had consequential links to a P.O.W. Camp in Comrie Scotland....interesting to dig out the story on that.

Regards Neil
......and the Comrie (Cultybraggan) camp also has a much larger bunker on it...... :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Neil, see what you can find out about where Gabriel is seen parked in Somerset...

Stage 1...mission accomplished......that's Market Place Somerton.

Stage 2....find something obscure about it :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Spot-on Neil :D

Despite growing up no more than 5 miles from Somerton I actually know nothing at all about the place... It was a foreign place to us kids - full of strange people whom we never spoke to :lol:

I found out more by running a couple of circuits of the town on Thursday than I ever knew as a kid so anything you find out is eagerly appreciated!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:...so anything you find out is eagerly appreciated!
I enjoyed discovering the nation's leading cigarette card business tucked away in a corner of Somerton. The original examples of those sectional issues like the Wells Cathedral set of 20 from Ansties of Devizes are superb in my opinion.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Very much agreed Neil :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

..another thing which has come up in relation to Somerton, and its war memorials, as well as this memorial, of Portland stone, and its records of soldiers from the village,

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp17 ... samtkl.jpg

there is also a small memorial garden on the former site of this:-

(having a bit difficulty with links but if you go to britainfromabove and search Somerton, there are some excellent aerial photos from the 1930's of the Cow and Gate Factory)

That is the Cow and Gate milk factory, and on September 29th 1942 at around 8.20 a.m, it was destroyed in an air raid. With only the distinctive chimney left standing. This remained until the early 1960's.

There are many accounts of the event, with some giving full details of the local people who lost their lives in the raid. Most accounts suggest it was a single aircraft, and four bombs.

Regards Neil
ps.....
.....maybe its just my machinery but a simple link to http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/about-project comes up with an unsecure connection message. The project itself set out to
The Britain from Above project

Britain from Above was a four year project aimed at conserving 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection, those dating from 1919 to 1953. Once conserved, the images were scanned into digital format and made available on this website for the public to see. This project was made possible due to a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and support from The Foyle Foundation and other donors. There are now over 95,000 images on the website. The website provides the opportunity to share and record your memories and knowledge about the places shown in the collection.
Very much a public domain resource but neither Firefox nor Edge on my machine like the link, and come up with that unsecure connection message.
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Works fine for me Neil - Firefox/Ubuntu 16.10.

Have seen it previously with earlier iterations of Firefox, Ubuntu and Mint.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote:Works fine for me Neil - Firefox/Ubuntu 16.10.

Have seen it previously with earlier iterations of Firefox, Ubuntu and Mint.
Thanks Steve...irritating little glitch but I didn't want to post up dodgy links if I could avoid it. Firefox version 49.0.2 (latest version) running and the bit it doesn't like is the website's certificate
www.britainfromabove.org.uk uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.scran.ac.uk, scran.ac.uk Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine is 49.0.2 too - installed this evening.
No warnings - I tend to ignore them anyway as Linux is largely immune and so easy to reinstall if it were to be compromised.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, thanks so much about the piece on the Somerton air raid and the old Cow and Gate factory... I can remember being told all about this as a small child and can just remember the chimney!

It was significant as it was the only place to be bombed in the locality and therefore very big news. Possibly the most exciting thing that happened in such a sleepy place during the whole war! The area was a considered very safe and hence a destination for thousands of evacuees; some were taken in by my grandparents and they kept in touch with them right up until the end of their lives.

Someton sports a very fine war memorial indeed... Many places in the locality do for some reason...

Surprised you've not spotted yet what's in the Market Square just opposite the spot where Gabriel was parked on Thursday ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: Surprised you've not spotted yet what's in the Market Square just opposite the spot where Gabriel was parked on Thursday ;)
...I'll have to have a look at that!

Somerton's memorial was specifically made from Portland Stone, because some of the others in the locality made from more local stone had begun to weather.
..from http://www.somertonmuseum.org.uk/index. ... s&idnum=42

..the town was able to commission G Cox & Son, Monumental Sculptors, of Keinton Mandeville, to make a Portland stone monument of a soldier standing on a large square pillar, on which the names were inscribed. Portland stone was chosen because it was likely to last longer than the local stones, Ham or Keinton, which had been used for other memorials and were already deteriorating. The design was one of several issued by the War Office for use by communities wishing to make suitable and accurate memorials to their dead. The soldier is a Royal Artillery man standing in the reversed arms position; he has long service and good conduct stripes. The cost was £208 and 2 shillings, the remaining £8 of the fund being used for publicity leaflets, service sheets for the ceremony, a photographer, and £1 to the Red Lion Hotel for overnight accommodation for two buglers sent from the Somerset Light Infantry in Taunton for the unveiling. The memorial was dedicated on 21st May 1921, and given into the care of the parish council in perpetuity......i
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting on the reason Portland Stone was used for the memorial Neil. I thought it was a little odd the local stuff, usually called Blue Lias, was not used...

Most of the stone buildings in Somerton - in fact the whole locality - are built of Blue Lias.

Keinton Mandeville, home still of G Cox and Son, the Monumental Masons, boasts today that it's the home of Blue Lias on it's village signs - now there's a tenuous link :) - so why the article calls the local stone 'Keinton' is a bit of a mystery to me...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: Keinton Mandeville, home still of G Cox and Son, the Monumental Masons, boasts today that it's the home of Blue Lias on it's village signs - now there's a tenuous link :)
And subtly carved on a piece of the Blue Lias itself...nice touch

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.07622 ... 312!8i6656

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
And subtly carved on a piece of the Blue Lias itself...nice touch

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.07622 ... 312!8i6656
It is indeed :D

That Streetview shot is a prize example of too much signage of all kinds to distract the driver :(

The village needs great care in traversing so whilst the plea to drive slowly is laudable, a newly arrived unfamiliar driver reading it may actually be unsafe due to the lapse of concentration!

It's a long village on one narrow street with loads of parked cars and small junctions... I pass through Keinton very frequently and am always relieved to get out the other side unscathed...

Wonder who won the bingo!
Jim