Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?..

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myglaren wrote:Certainly recognise the boot arrangement but putting a name to it is not happening :(
only a couple of handfulls of them made in the early 1950's....that one is 1952 so not something you are likely to come across very often, although a regular appearer at owners club events for what you might call its parent marque.

The event location is almost given away with the AA Box number....they didn't have to move it far to take up its place at the museum.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...not my best bit of photo-editing!

...is the view from the front any help?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It's a Marauder Tourer.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wonder if that rear end was used for something else then? I don't recognise the name.
NewcastleFalcon

elma wrote:It's a Marauder Tourer.
Yes that's the one..just a handfull made. The rear may have a passing resemblance to the Rover P4 on which it was based.
From Wiki-Marauder Cars

Marauder Cars was a British car company founded by Rover engineers George Mackie and Peter Wilks. The pair left the Rover Company in 1950 to form Wilks, Mackie and Company to exploit their idea of a two-seater sports car (the Marauder) based on the new Rover 75 chassis. Manufacturing started in Dorridge, West Midlands and later in Kenilworth, Warwickshire between 1950 and 1952. In 1951, the company name was changed to the Marauder Car Company.
Pic courtesy of Ethelredthepetrolhead-RSR/RP6C Rally 2016 Gallery on flikr-Lakeland Motor Museum-Ulverston, Cumbria.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That's amazing stuff and could well be the future...

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting it Gibbo :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

With our Eastern European trio remaining unidentified...I'll let them fester for now....

Time to get bang on topic for French Car Chat, with a bit of French car Whatsthisthen?

You can always rely on Francois Roussel to come up with a nice drawing of the month in Gazoline Magazine so whats the nice pair shown here?

A lot of the intended humour in the attached descriptions gets very much lost in the google translation!

Gazoline Magazine has a tag line...."vivre au quotidien la voiture ancienne" translated as "live everyday the old car". I am sure its a pretty good read if your French is up to scratch :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

That's not a Panhard is it?
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Zelandeth wrote:That's not a Panhard is it?
Looks like it a PL 17 Dyna I think.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Your blue van/minibus is a Polish Nysa.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, definitely a Panhard...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:
Looks like it a PL 17 Dyna I think.
CitroJim wrote:Yes, definitely a Panhard...
Well done, Zel gets it with the first answer, and Gibbo gets it for precision, and Jim....your confirmation is correct but unfortunately no "Old engine Oil" prize this time :-D . I am going to assume that the vehicle in the rear is just too one-spanner. The attached caption from the magazine reads...
From "Gazoline"
Citroën mange du Panhard !
Tout un symbole. La Panhard PL 17 s'apprête à tirer sa révérence en ce printemps 1965. Derrière, la klaxonnant sans ménagement, la 2 CV AZU lui rappelle qu'il est temps de lui laisser sa place sur les chaînes du quai d'Ivry. Un sacré revirement de situation pour la marque doyenne qui abandonnera là toute ambition automobile.
(Par François Roussel)
Google translates this as
Citroën eat Panhard!
A symbol. The Panhard PL 17 is about to bow out in spring 1965. Behind honking bluntly, the 2CV AZU reminds him it's time to leave his place on the chains of Ivry dock. Quite a turnaround for the Dean brand abandon here all automobile ambition.
(By François Roussel)
The Gazoline link above takes you to a page of Francois Roussel's "drawings of the month" click on an image and you get the little narrative behind the picture, which you can use google to help or hinder with the translation :!:

I love that style of drawing-Thierry Dubois and Jean Luc Delvaux being two other illustrators who also produce absolutely brilliant drawings in that style.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:Your blue van/minibus is a Polish Nysa.
Yes! Well done Gibbo....the other two should follow on pretty easily knowing that. I do like the look of the Nysa.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: and Jim....your confirmation is correct but unfortunately no "Old engine Oil" prize this time :-D .
No worries Neil,

I only drink this anyway :)

I'm always up for a nice cup of speciality Rooibos tea though ;)
Jim