Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by CitroJim »

James, Gibbo, that's worrying for the future of our much-loved old bits of Aston :(

Maybe it'll be an exception that proves the rule...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Keeping it visual

http://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/ ... 183842.jpg

there's also a thank you for visiting on the way out nice..courteous.. (this example with added graffitti!)

http://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/ ... 561935.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Those signs, remarkably, appear many miles from Milton Keynes proper... They are situated on the MK borough boundaries and some are on the Northants and Bedfordshire borders!!! Some are a good ten miles (if not further) from the town centre and very confusing for visitors...

Although we locals refer to MK as 'The City' it's not officially one - yet...

The nearest of these signs to the town are those around Newport Pagnell as the M1 marks one of the boundaries... Newport Pagnell is not part of MK despite being with a swallow's flight of it - we are very much our own town in Bucks and not MK even though we have an MK Postcode but then so does Bedford!

The locations (and cost) of the signs were a great source of controversy...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Reviving a subject from the 'Picture(s) of the day...' thread for the second time....... :)

Bridging the Gap: How the Severn Bridge Was Built
Timeshift
BBC Four tonight 9.00pm

2016 sees the fiftieth anniversary of the Severn Bridge, which completed the motorway link between England and Wales. Timeshift tells the inside story of the design and construction of 'the most perfect suspension bridge in the world', and how its unique slim-line structure arose by accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803m60
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: I wonder if Aylesbury is "Home of the Duck" or Milton Keynes "Birthplace of the Concrete Cow"

Anyone got any good examples to share?
Not sure about Milton Keynes but Newport Pagnell proudly announces it is the 'Home of Aston Martin' on all its signs :D
Voila :!:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4HS0CnL0YqY/T ... 000611.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The sign on the future site of what we all hope will be the new 'retro' 1930s -style Art Deco Shell filling station and museum as discussed previously in these pages...

That picture is from a few years ago. We have a shiny new sign now that carries much the same message...

I ride/drive past this location every day...

Looking forward to the day building work starts on this site. It's looking very scruffy and forlorn at the moment and not a good welcome to our town...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:Reviving a subject from the 'Picture(s) of the day...' thread for the second time....... :)

Bridging the Gap: How the Severn Bridge Was Built
Timeshift
BBC Four tonight 9.00pm

2016 sees the fiftieth anniversary of the Severn Bridge, which completed the motorway link between England and Wales. Timeshift tells the inside story of the design and construction of 'the most perfect suspension bridge in the world', and how its unique slim-line structure arose by accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803m60
I watched that the other week - it was very good indeed and well worth a second watch.

I must say I enjoy BBC4 Timeshift a great deal - they are invariably good...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

....oh dear......those garish "Land of the Prince Bishops" signs at County borders, may become tourist attractions in their own right as Counties move away from the "branding phrase" to a simpler "Welcome to...." message.

There are exceptions with bits of "new" branding like in "Herefordshire" stressing the "here" bit.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpspro ... ouette.jpg

This article from the BBC poses the question Love, battles and deities-Is the end nigh for county slogans?

a map view

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpspro ... logans.jpg

and a montage of some

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpspro ... logans.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....continuing a train of thought...I wonder what the continentals do with their regions, departements, communes, towns and villages in terms of signage. The US appears obsessed with the "population" to be notified to the passing visitor while the UK pre-warboys of course tended to require reporting of how far away the settlement was from a couple of other places.

https://static2.stuff.co.nz/1331586809/228/6565228.jpg

..and a bit of a sign tangent...the Spanish sign for slippery roads seems a good deal slippier than the UK version which looks like it still uses a 1959 Ford Popular 100E

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... y-road.jpg

http://www.simoncars.co.uk/ford/slides/ ... 20tail.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I loved some of Thelwells' interpretations of road signs. The one above was, IIRC, "Warning, tyre swappers ahead".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I loved some of Thelwells' interpretations of road signs. The one above was, IIRC, "Warning, tyre swappers ahead".
:lol:

Any other examples of Thelwells' interpretations of road signs James? I'd expect them all to be a good for a bit of a smirk...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I will have to get hold of his book "Belt Up" to find out more. I used to have it, decades ago.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:ImageImage
That could be because they have slippery roads, roundabouts and adverse cambers down to a fine art here: from April, months of the surface being drizzled with diesel and tyre-scuff in the hot sun, and then (in October) the first rains. Lovely!

A couple more. You can assign to countries for yourselves...

ImageImage
Chris
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

white exec wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:ImageImage
That could be because they have slippery roads, roundabouts and adverse cambers down to a fine art here: from April, months of the surface being drizzled with diesel and tyre-scuff in the hot sun, and then (in October) the first rains. Lovely!
Oh - and the cheap vino...

A couple more. You can assign countries for yourselves...

ImageImage
Last edited by white exec on 20 Oct 2016, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: That could be because they have slippery roads, roundabouts and adverse cambers down to a fine art here: from April, months of the surface being drizzled with diesel and tyre-scuff in the hot sun, and then (in October) the first rains. Lovely!
Reminds me of the big late-summer and early-autumn hazard in Cyprus Chris... Grape Juice on the roads... During harvest Cypriot farmers loaded grapes into open wagons and the bottommost grapes got crushed long before they reached the winery and gushed juice all over the road... It ended up as slippery as ice...

I came a right cropper on it one evening driving toward Episkopi Garrison in my almost-new MG Metro. Crashed it into the side of a cliff. Lucky it was the cliff as the other side of the road was a sheer drop not protected in those days by crash barriers...

I love the two extra signs you offered :lol:
Jim