Speed Cameras part 17

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If the police want respect, then they must be completely above reproach!!
Drive by Walthamstow nick on any weekday and you will see illegally parked police cars- on the yellow lines and on the school markings- they have a yard, but all the coppers park their personal cars in there to save the lazy sods having to walk a few hundred yards!!!
Parking in the area is difficult and restricted, and it hacks the locals off a hell of a lot to see this.
Its the same with the "emergency" that happens every day at about 4.15/4.30 when the cop car puts its blues and twos on to get around the traffic build up outside my office window.
The local paper actually had a picture of them parked in and obstructing the bus lane outside planet chicken where this "emergency" always seems to be.........complete with bus struggling to get round and copper with a handful of bags!!!!
Talk about abuse of power..............grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Lets just say that any Police forces Professional Standard department don't like the bother of repeated calls and moans from the General public (Civvies) about this kind of thing. Especially from the niegbours of that missing child from 123 Cleo Lane because the cops couldn't be bothered to park in the appropriate place. I sure any station commander or Chief Supt. would be hard pressed to calm down an elderly person, minority group or young person who couldn't get of their drive because of a speed camera bunching slow moving trafiic in the street or some local cop has parked over their drive. Hard call to make but this aint about the cops it's a healthy depate about the speed camera that seems to have gotten hold of not just the motorist but the Police as well. As for parking plain police cars, in Birmingham Central ticket office where a mate of mine works theres a standing joke about Police giving the old "we're the Police don't you know" and not being too happy with well your "fines still stand". Don't know the out come but they sure get the money some how.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'm sure that the majority of police officers didn't sign up to operate a police state.
It is just a pity that they are ordered to do so. Until we string up the last politician with the guts of the last priest, it will stay that way. In the meantime, I fully condone and support the necklacing of speed cameras. This isn't bad law, it is oppression. Policemen on traffic duty would save more lives and prevent more accidents.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Policemen on traffic duty would save more lives and prevent more accidents.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hear Hear.
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you ever travel from the M8 towards Kirkintilloch, as you come through Springburn there is a speed camera. The 'polus' used to sit there waiting but now just a camera. It is as you enter a 30 zone but one 30 limit sign is turned the wrong way and the other (very high up) is seldom lit. Why do they spend so much on a camera but not bother to sort out the limit signs? Because cameras are there to make money not curb speeding.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Originally posted by beezer
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Because cameras are there to make money not curb speeding <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So why is it that despite the cameras taking money off the motorist,
that we do not see extra patrols out on the roads.
Originally posted by tomsheppard
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Policemen on traffic duty would save more lives and prevent more accidents. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree so why do we now see less patrols than we used to.
Do the authorities now place less emphasis on a human life ?
Actions speak louder than words, and we see far too many cameras, and not enough patrol cars.
Road tax is paid so that we can use the roads, but does it get directly spent on the roads, NO !
We pay this tax, and yet it goes to the government, and a great deal of this money is used anywhere they choose to direct it, but as we all know from our experience, not much of it is spent on the roads.
The revenue from the cameras is not spent where you would expect it. WHY ?
Generally traffic slows down around camera sites, but everywhere else it does not. If police are present in their patrol cars they can be deployed where neccessary, they would also improve driving standards by their presence, and are more versatile than a camera.
If we had more police on patrol, we would also not have the low driving standards that people on a daily basis display.
Drivers are more cautious when they encounter a patrol car, and less caution is used around the cameras.
With the spread of cameras we have seen over the years, it would seem we are still going to see more of them, and not enough of the patrols.
I am not advocating a police state, or having a patrol on every street, but it would seem that the authorities would like a camera on every street, so they can screw the motorist for more money.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I agree so why do we now see less patrols than we used to.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A fully trained traffic copper and car are not cheap- a camera is- it doesn't need wages, a pension, sick pay, etc.
The copper may stop you, sarcastically educate you, and send you on your way suitably humiliated- a camera will only fine you.
Its the same with community support officers, they look like coppers, walk like coppers, talk like coppers, but are'nt real coppers- what they are, however, is cheap!!!!!!!!
I saw on the TV that in the West Mids, I think, they now have motorway traffic support officers- ditto what I said about CSO's but with a Landie Discovery.....................
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Those motorway guys are "Deptarment of Transport officers" and employed to take SOME of the burden off Police who patrol the motorway. I belive that they may be paid by the ministery of transport but work out of the Central Mtorway Patrol Group HQ. And I think they cover the same area as the Police in the group.
Viva Le revelution. (may be La)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Vive la revolution!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I stand humbled.
Vive la revolution.
beezer

Post by beezer »

I hired a Viva once. The wheels were the closest thing to a revolution. It was revolting though....
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hp or super? (no sauce gags).
beezer

Post by beezer »

Not HP. I hired it for the day. Far from super. Actually, it was a Chevette that I hired. Got about half a mile down the road and the front o/s suspension collapsed. Newly registered too (though having spent some years delivering to the Ellesmere Port factory I knew it wasn't exactly new). They replaced it with a Viva. Dreadful vehicle.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Not HP<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
HA,HB,or HC then???[:D][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

There is a nice but basic HA for sale in Treales..... Nope Im not tempted (or tapped) either!