Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: Here's a few for you, Jim. Criggion and Rugby from quite a few years ago....

Gorgeous and lots of very fond memories. I started my professional career working in a transmitting station very similar to your pictures although our transmitters weren’t quite so big.

But big enough to be interesting and capable of some spectacular bangs and fireworks when they were in the mood to play games...

Many's the time I've thrown the EHT switch controlling several KV at several amps to a transmitter output stage and the result has been an almighty explosion... Fault-finding is looking for the scorch marks and charred remains :lol: Sometimes parts just disappeared entirely - vaporised!

Proper radio engineering :D

One of our sites had a Napier Deltic generator as fitted to Class 55 Deltic railway locomotives as it's standby power supply!

I miss it - modern stuff seems very tame to me these days...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: Proper radio engineering :D

One of our sites had a Napier Deltic generator as fitted to Class 55 Deltic railway locomotives as it's standby power supply!

I miss it - modern stuff seems very tame to me these days...
Back-up supplies at Rugby :-D ........

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

.....just a small update on the "Air Drop AA Box"....I've shifted my posts on this subject over to the AA Box Thread...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I must admit to having a little titter at the dropping spheres comment. [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
NewcastleFalcon

Michael Portillo was in the Isle of Man today, on Great Railway Journeys anyway, and he visited this a very impressive bit of Victorian engineering. Well worth its place on the prestigious "Picture of the Day" thread :-D

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/50/30/ ... ded097.jpg

He also took a trip on the SnaFell Mountain Tramway, still using the same fleet of electric trams many from the 1890's

https://manxelectricrailway.files.wordp ... =675&h=506

I liked on the programme that they did the filming on a drizzly misty day with zero views from the top, and our presenter doing a fair impression of a drowned rat at the top!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

"Pre-warboys" gets the odd mention on the forum so here's another bit of pre-warboys from 1960. Slightly more provision for a ceremonial stop at the top of Carter Bar on the A68 these days. The view down into Scotland laid out before you in a superb panorama makes this the best of all the border crossings in my view.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 01096a.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That, to me, is a proper sign :D I think it's a great loss so many have gone, replaced by the perhaps more functional but rather characterless things we now have even if their font is very well designed...

I found a lovely and unusual pre-Worboys the other week in Somerset, in the village of Charlton Mackerell... It announces the village name and warns to drive slowly...

I'll be back down that way on Thursday next and must pop by and take a picture of it...

Nice Jag and Thames Trader 300E in the picture too :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Now I am a Durham Lad, and appreciate more than most the wild beauty of the Durham Dales.

Can't quite understand how this type of awful signage has become de rigueur, and its not just the County sign at every entrance to the County over the remotest of moorland roads, the villages and towns announce their presence with garish blue signs.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.78350 ... 312!8i6656

Yes if the link works, it shows the "County Durham-Land of the Prince Bishops" sign coming over the "border" from Cumbria into Weardale on the A689.

Oh, and should you be a fan of "Prince Bishops" you are going to be disappointed. You will have arrived in Durham a few centuries too late to actually see one :-D .

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

now here's a pair...but only one of them is nice :)

Pre-Warboys

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/ ... -large.jpg

Post Durham County Corporate "Land of Prince Bishops" Marketing/Branding Committee :!: :!: :-D

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6226/6340 ... b84e_b.jpg

Which do you prefer?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Is that perhaps a speed camera lurking on that rectangular post, behind the (not at all nice) blue sign?

PI TYME - probably popular with Triumph 2500 owners :-D
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That signage in your link earlier and the 'Pity Me' really spoils the scene Neil :evil:

Whoever did that bit of desecration should be shot!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Its all personal opinion of course, but you can probably tell that I am not overly keen on the blue signs, or the "Land of the Prince Bishops"

I don't suspect County Durham is alone. Committees and working parties across the Country will have sat for many hours debating marketing consultants options to come up with phrases, logos, and co-ordinated branding, and occassionally may come up with something awful.... :!: :-D

There does appear to be a necesssity to sum up a town or an area with a phrase....

I wonder if Aylesbury is "Home of the Duck" or Milton Keynes "Birthplace of the Concrete Cow"

Anyone got any good examples to share?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: I wonder if Aylesbury is "Home of the Duck" or Milton Keynes "Birthplace of the Concrete Cow"

Anyone got any good examples to share?
Not sure about Milton Keynes but Newport Pagnell proudly announces it is the 'Home of Aston Martin' on all its signs :D

Even though, technically, it no longer is...

I do hear that the Aston Martin Owners Club is in negotiation to take over one of the presently derelict but historically significant Aston Martin buildings on the old factory site as their headquarters now that Tesco have disposed of the land and houses are planned to be built on it...

There is a covenant on any development that the original buildings must stay and be incorporated into such a development so as to preserve our town's history :)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Tesco won't take a blind bit of notice. When the old Battle Hospital in Reading was being developed the council let it be known that the trees on the site were to stay. Somebody did not get that memo, and the trees were bulldozed.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Covenants in contracts generally mean nothing, they are easily overcome by lawyers.

My old boss in Brum back in the early sixties had family property that had formerly been farmland, his workshop and filling station had a prominent position and was very successful.

His sister owned the old farmhouse on the next corner just a hundred yards away, she sold it to a building company to build houses on with a covenant that said under no circumstances was the site to be used for any motor trade activity.

Two months later there was a planning application in from Gulf Petroleum for a filling station and workshop on the site.

My bosses lawyers objected, Gulf said "see you in court." They went to court and the judge said the covenant was unenforceable.

Gulf built their filling station etc.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.