Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by CitroJim »

Enjoying these lighthouse pictures :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's the one Neil. Yes, you remember right, the last flight of steps is near vertical. I can imagine that cleaning the outside of the windows, which was part of their normal routine, must have been 'interesting' on a wild night!!
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In celebration of Kev (Red Dwarfers) discovering a bonus AA Box on the "FCF AA Box Challenge thread" here's a nice picture of the early days of the AA from www.oldbike.eu

Few of the lads from the Pickled Egg fully trained up as AA Scouts!

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content ... ORY_03.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What a fantastic picture Neil... I see some of the bikes are the sporty ones of the day and a couple sport acetylene lights...

I have an acetylene bike light here. Quite ingenious as it runs on lumps of carbide and the acetylene gas is generated by dripping water on to it in a controlled manner...

It gives a very lovely white light...

This from Wikipedia on carbide lamps

This would have made a good AA Bike with its carrier...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The Farne Islands off the Northumberland Coast are noted for their seabird colonies, but some of the white streaks running down the cliffs are not bird poo as you might expect but chalk deposits from the dumping of spent calcium carbide from the lighthouses down the cliff :-D

www.oldbike.eu is a fascinating site even if you aren't "into bikes". The section on the 1905 AA Scouts (Automobile Association) is a case in point with loads of interesting images and content. There is a full reproduction of an old AA handbook including this nice image here.....the first roadside filling station..

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content ... ORY_55.jpg

Well worth a 5-minute diversion...

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and just in case you dont get to the end of the info here's the image which currently closes that little section of the site off.......The AA Air to Ground Link..........no idea what this was, but they obviously did it for some purpose at some time!

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content ... ORY_70.jpg

Now the forensic minds amongst our throng will be thinking....I wonder where that AA Box was? and from the previous post above....I wonder where that first filling station was?..... :?: :?: :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: www.oldbike.eu
That site is a great find Neil, I will be spending a lot of time there...

Jim

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

a forerunner of the mobile phone?
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Dropping spheres would be fun :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Barnes -Wallace must have been a hydraulic Citroen owner!!! :rofl2: :rofl2:
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
NewcastleFalcon

As far as pictures of the day go this is probably as tedious as they get.....(from www.picturesofengland.com)

http://www.picturesofengland.com/img/L/1117409.jpg

but it is precisely the location of where tha AA opened the first roadside filling station in Great Britain on March 2nd 1919.

Now where was that AA Box receiving the "drop" from AA Aviation Services?.....yes they had their own planes

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, a fine piece of detective work I must say :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Neil, a fine piece of detective work I must say :D
Thanks Jim....still on the case of the "Air Drop AA Box"...not easy without a bit of image enhancing software to recreate the lettering on the box name.....looks like "moor" may be part of it on the right but more likely it just says "box" as many did.

I have to say that I probably did the website for the pic of the A4 near Aldermaston a dissservice with this quote
NewcastleFalcon wrote:As far as pictures of the day go this is probably as tedious as they get.....(from www.picturesofengland.com)
The site is littered with gems, and a random "slideshow" I clicked on underneath the A4 Picture has produced a decent crop of interesting shots. In any case the A4 picture is growing on me..the vast expanse of greyness in the image, the empty road, the empty layby.....tells a story. Not even a little blue plaque to inform the significance of what was there before.....

First pic to come up was Cromer Pier....will put that up in the What do you know about Norfolk thread..
Second pic............A Bakelite Caravan from the Bakelite Museum! (That needs to go on the Classic's Spotting thread!)

...and where is the famed "Bakelite Museum"?.....why its Somerset of course.

and one of the "exhibits" at the museum provides a nice subject to put up on the "Whatsthisthen?" thread. Might as well double up by putting it on "Picture of the Day" so here it is...

http://www.picturesofengland.com/img/X/1112306.jpg

http://www.picturesofengland.com

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've ben to the Bakelite Museum in Williton Neil, it is well worth a visit. A fascinating place!

Just nearby is a vintage radio museum located in a part of the Washford Radio Transmitting Station... The main transmitter hall is now Tropicaria, a wildlife theme park, and the radio museum is in what was likely once a workshop.

The transmitters are now in the old generator house as they are very tiny compared to the originals... It is still very much operational. It broadcasts Radio Wales on MW as well as Talksport and Absolute Radio plus a bit of digital TV.

The Transmitter building is really quite beautiful Art Deco and worth seeing just for its architecture..

This is nearby too and very much worth a visit...

Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: Just nearby is a vintage radio museum located in a part of the Washford Radio Transmitting Station... The main transmitter hall is now and the radio museum is in what was likely once a workshop.

The transmitters are now in the old generator house as they are very tiny compared to the originals... It is still very much operational. It broadcasts Radio Wales on MW as well as Talksport and Absolute Radio plus a bit of digital TV.

The Transmitter building is really quite beautiful Art Deco and worth seeing just for its architecture..
Here's a few for you, Jim. Criggion and Rugby from quite a few years ago....

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(