My S1 Activa

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: My S1 Activa

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It would be very interesting to watch. The problem is that the characters of these Activas favour different track designs. The TCT probably will accelerate more quickly, but the ES9 is likely to have a higher top speed. However, the ES9, being heavier at the front, would be more likely to under-steer (despite the suspension helping to keep it level). If I am right, a twisty course with short straights would favour the TCT, but a course with long straights and smooth sweeping curves would benefit the ES9.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Post by DHallworth »

There's a road locally that gives me the opportunity to drive the Activa like it was stolen and with the TCT engine on one particular corner I could light up the inside front wheel however with the added weight of the V6 up front it grips better and will pull itself straight though it.

Problem is I almost feel sorry for the Activa every time I take it out as once the oil and water have warmed through it tends to get driven quite hard. Only cure for it I've found is to stick Cheryl in the passengers seat as it's not worth the agro when I put my foot down otherwise.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

We're now at 500 miles since tuesday. Given that she's been off the road since 2012 I'm impressed that she's not missed a beat. She's settling down nicely and is actually quite a well behaved cruiser. We're still at 32mpg which includes Jim driving it across Milton Keynes like he stole it. Seriously I've never seen Jim drive so aggressively and for as long as well. I might have been egging him on a bit though.

I'm still finding it odd when turning into a corner how planted and level she is. The whole car seems to be loosening up a bit, in a good way I hasten to add! She flows round b roads and as long as you've got the engine above 1500rpm it'll pull and pull and pull. That's where the ES9 will be better I think, pull from tickover with no stupid autobox dulling the fun. (I do like the ES9 + 4HP20 combo in a cruiser though)

On a track I think actually the TCT would need some longer straights or not as tight corners so you can stay on boost. Again, the ES9 would win out there.

I do think the Activa is like a spaniel puppy, its more than happy (and prefers it) if you can make it run around like a fecking idiot.

Next up is to change the aircon compressor.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:We're still at 32mpg which includes Jim driving it across Milton Keynes like he stole it. Seriously I've never seen Jim drive so aggressively and for as long as well.
:P :-D
Chris570 wrote:I do think the Activa is like a spaniel puppy, its more than happy (and prefers it) if you can make it run around like a fecking idiot.
Perfect description :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I'm pleased to hear you have your Activa back in service Chris, that must have a pleasure to drive it again for the first time in a good while.
Chris570 wrote:She's settling down nicely and is actually quite a well behaved cruiser. We're still at 32mpg which includes Jim driving it across Milton Keynes like he stole it. Seriously I've never seen Jim drive so aggressively and for as long as well. I might have been egging him on a bit though.
Thats fairly impressive MPG, I think that is the highest I've had from mine. It tends to be around 28MPG when I can check it. All I know is it will use lots of fuel anyway, so don't drive it for economy.

Jims boy racer side appears! Mine brings out the very worst in me and it certainly gets more stick than it probably deserves. In fact if I start driving it regularly I have to park it up for a while as I just start driving it ... worse! :roll: :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP

Post by KP »

Sorry to be rude Chris, but is there a list of mods you've done at all as the only ones that jump out are an ecu re flash and manual boost controller?

What are the ecu remap details?

Any issues with the manual boost controller long term at all?
KP

Post by KP »

Ps congrats on the return to the road :D another one safely being kept alive!
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Nice to see you have it back in action Chris, i do wonder wwhere mine is these days from time to time.
Due to the way the car is set up stock i found i got much better mpg modded, doing a daily run up and down the A3 for 2 weeks i was getting 36-38mpg at between 60 and 70mph. In modded form i was getting more boost earlier in the rev range and being a fairly low compression ratio i think it helped being on boost more of the time. The other good thing about the tct is its almost indistuctable. If i got mine back it would get a higher 5th gear for better motorway mpg and refinement and i would look into fitting NA pistons as when i looked at it before it was only the bathtub cutouts that dropped the CR on the tct ones and with a higher CR and less boost i think it would be a much better setup.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Quick update,

All is well in the land of Activa. Passed it's MOT in July with only a track rod needing doing. Before that it was the WFA loan car while some serious gearbox work was being done. It was a normal car for 2 months and didn't miss a beat.

It's now parked up for the winter and will not be coming back out to play until the new year. There is a little rust bubble on the osr wheel arch which is annoying.

In answer to your question Will it's got the chipped ECU and yep the boost has been upped. Nothing else.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Chris :D

I remember the the serious gearbox work you speak of rather well ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...