I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:So, a bit of a cycling connoisseur too perhaps..
There's an international series of events dedicated to riding classic bikes on a sportive/audax-ride in period clothing and with period accessories called L'Eroica

This is the British one taking place in June 2017 Eroica Britannia

Love to take part in this but funds just won't extend to getting a bike plus all the kit... :(
Just did a bit of a search on Eroica and found the Gallery, and guess what's the most notable element of this characterful but quite ordinary image first up on the screen

Yes, what are the chances of that happening....he's riding a "Roy Thame" Bicycle......

Roy himself may well have been the Dave Brailsford of his day, as according to wiki "Thame also managed the Great Britain teams in world championships"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Yes, what are the chances of that happening....he's riding a "Roy Thame" Bicycle......
That is utterly incredible Neil! I saw that really rather wonderful image when I looked at the site but I completely failed to notice his bike was a Roy Thame...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

...yes and rather than just simple clicking on your link which goes straight to the pic, I googled it and arrived at the same image anyway!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: Image
If you are wanting to bring back some memories of your Rolls Gibbo, there is an 20HP Open Tourer up for Auction at Brightwells Leominster, viewing day Tuesday 20th Sept, Sale Wednesday 21st Sept. Now without too much looking around and kicking tyres I know that this is an earlier model than yours was, simply because its got horizontal slats on the grill!

I think probably only you would know how to correctly operate one of these...

..press the right buttons, and read the gauges!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The old gentlemen looks the part too ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That A40 convertible is a very rare beast, I've only ever seen one before.

The Rolls in your picture Neil is a bit different in the controls to the one I had but yes I could drive it. :)

The under bonnet stuff is fascinating on them, huge brass carburettor, coil and magneto ignition, and autovac fuel system.

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Looks lovely that Rolls. Pretty sure I could work it too, not too far removed from the old Albion at Alford, rather more refined I'd wager though!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Got passed by a Suzuki GT550 Triple on my way to the Chevrons Rally yesterday... I was on my bike too...

Very special memories as my last motorbike was a GT550..

I'd love one again and yesterday was intoxicated by the lovely scent of the 2-stroke exhaust :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: I'd love one again and yesterday was intoxicated by the lovely scent of the 2-stroke exhaust :D
When you compare the class of car you can get for the same money, motorbikes of any description always seem completely overpriced to me. For a nice one Jim you would most likely have to go over the £4,000 mark.

This currently on e-bay hasn't met its reserve and bidding is up to £4,350, and its not even a black one with gold pinstripes!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote: I'd love one again and yesterday was intoxicated by the lovely scent of the 2-stroke exhaust :D
When you compare the class of car you can get for the same money, motorbikes of any description always seem completely overpriced to me. For a nice one Jim you would most likely have to go over the £4,000 mark.
Gosh :shock: One can get an awful lot of very tasty car for that but the example you found Neil does look very lovely. Mine was black and gold but on reflection I like the blue/black and white combination of that one a lot...

One of the things that make the GT series rare and expensive now is the hard-chromed cylinders which were very prone to damage and could not be rebored and the short life of the decorative chrome - all of it, especially the mudguards - due to corrosion. The only chrome that survived well was the exhausts and that was because they were always oily!

I bough all brand-new chrome for mine in the late 80s. Cost me several arms and legs....
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted in Someton, Somerset yesterday near dad's nursing home...

Absolutely immaculate :D

I saw a gaggle of people standing watching the main railway line just a little way up the road and later, whilst Robyn and I enjoyed lunch in an excellent tearoom just around the corner we learned a steam train had been passing through... Sad to have missed it but I did see some video of it from one of our fellow diners...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I like the P5 it definitely has a certain prescence and personality about it. Strangely I'm not sure its "look" fits with me. I think the P6 has a more "laid back", cruising sort of look, while the P5 has a more agressive, don't mess with me, charging around, getaway car sort of look...................(ridiculous i know :!: :-D )

CitroJim wrote:I saw a gaggle of people standing watching the main railway line just a little way up the road and later, whilst Robyn and I enjoyed lunch in an excellent tearoom just around the corner we learned a steam train had been passing through... Sad to have missed it but I did see some video of it from one of our fellow diners...
Was it the Princess Elizabeth by any chance? It was making several stops through Somerset yesterday

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I like the P5 Neil but I must confess a much greater like for the P6...

the P5 was the government car of choice and I believe it was Maggie Thatcher's steed for a long while...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: Was it the Princess Elizabeth by any chance? It was making several stops through Somerset yesterday

That's the one Neil :D

She's just returned to main-line running after being withdrawn in 2012 for boiler work...
Jim

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Whilst on the subject of steam trains, the Flying Scotsman is currently running up and down the Severn Valley Railway!
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros