The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, it's a bloody sight easier to stick with Ubuntu 16.04 that runs fine straight off the distro and needs absolutely no tweaking to make it acceptable... That means a lot to me as I'm not fond of IT at the best of times...

I do IT to earn a living and not for a hobby. I just want it to work at home with no stress and no aggro... Ubuntu does, Windows 10 doesn't.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

:) :) Each to their own.

I do like Linux by the way, just I've not had too brilliant 'desktop'' experiences with it in the past aka "Suse Linux" *shudder*. Is the later Ubuntu KDE or Gnome ?

I do love CentOS for "serving" as its about as solid as it comes it seems.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I started out with SüSE 7.3, just to see what Linux was about as the common perception was that it was a nightmare.
I found it to be great - unexpectedly - and not as difficult as the majority would have it.
Quite easy to install - from IIRC 5 CDs plus the ones for Open Office etc. Took a while but not as long as Windows (95 at the time).
Found the modem straight away and was online in minutes - unlike Windows.
Same with networking - deadly simple although I appear to have lost the knack for that now :(
Never had any problems with any of the desktops although Unity was a bit of a shock for an hour or so but easy to come to terms with - unlike W8 and 10. Can't get away with them at all. SüSE came with KDE and used that for a while but have gone with whatever Ubuntu or Mint serve up as standard, all equally easy to handle.

Just had a disagreement with someone on another forum who says reinstalling Windows only takes a couple of hours - which I agree with but said how about twenty minutes for Linux.
He flatly didn't believe me and maintained that it took far longer than Windows.
I've mentioned to Jim previously how quick it is to do a clean install and my machines aren't fast by any means, no use for gaming machines here.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: I've mentioned to Jim previously how quick it is to do a clean install and my machines aren't fast by any means, no use for gaming machines here.
Not only quick but very easy and straightforward too...

And... Most importantly... Without any stress or trouble at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Richard C, almost every male in my generation signed the official secrets act, when they got called up for National Service it just happened and you couldn't opt out.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Reading this, I decided to to a quick check on my drives - and one of my Seagate drives was highlighted as needing a firmware update. So downloaded the firmware and flashing utility from Seagate - only to find it wouldn't work with my system - I needed to use the ISO image and boot & install from that. So off we go again - I thought it might be the UEFI Boot setup on my rig, so as I have a dual boot to Windows 7 (and this is the drive that needs the update), I booted into Win 7 and ran the utility from there - no can do. So reading through the readme file, I was absolutely gobsmacked to note that ecerything in the readme about using the utility was to do with making bootable Floppy Drives and CD-ROMs! I mean - this is Seagate and it is 2016! So I decided it can stay as it is - there's no way I'm changing back to a legacy boot just for this - it's working so it can stay like this until I replace the other 2 hard drives with SATA III units. So I have one fast SSD, a SATA III and 2 SATA II drives. You would think that Seagate of all companies would be able to find a drive flashing utility that works - like every other device I can upgrade. :roll:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Marc, see what I mean about all the aggro it causes :evil: I can do without it as I'm pleased to see you can too ;)
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I used ti be a bit of a DOS guru, but before all that fun, it was the old IBM 5¼ floppy jobbies, with the point and click GUI. We then went into Desktop Publishing with DeskPress - a GEM based environment before we had to fall into line with PageMaker - so after our first batch of 286 PCs, it was off to Olympia for 'BET93' where I shortly put an order in for about 150 ICL Fujitsu 486 PC - with speakers and wait for it 2x speed CD-ROM drives!

The only issue was - we had local BNC networking with Windows for Workgroups 3.1 - and the MS Office Apps - but PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access & Publisher were all on 3.5 Floppy Disks! So with Excel on 20+ disks and similar numbers for the other Apps, yiou can see I had a right old production line going when installing all these back in the day - certainly burnt the midnight oil in those days! We were lucky to have one 56k Modem for each Centre - which of course it was quicker to pick up the phone and talk to somebody than email them! Those were the days, bring back my ZX Spectrum 48k, with add on voice sythesiser and thermal printer! :lol:

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I run Peppermint Linux these days, have done for years. Right from Peppermint Ice which was and still is my favourite os. It used to take a bit of setting up network wise and some of the graphic settings were a bit shaky. But once set up it was lightning fast, from pressing the on button I could be on the net in 40 seconds. At the time Win Xp took 3-4 minutes to boot on a good day. Now I'm running Peppermint 7 64bit which is uefi capable but I use legacy as I sometimes have a play with different distros that aren't. Two years ago before I retired the company where I was based (a very well known US retailer) was running Win Xp as their main system, they were informed by Microsoft that they must update to at least Win8 or face a very hefty fine ($millions) and lose all support. Friendly eh?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, we all know that Micro$oft are only interested in one thing (money), and have little or no interest in looking after their customers (unless it is to get more money from them). I have hung onto my copy of Windows 8.1 Pro (with the licence), so I may well be able to revert. I am getting slightly irritated with the "Office is out of date, Upgrade" type of messages. I have Office 2007 Enterprise (which only cost me £30), and it meets all my needs.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 30 Aug 2016, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes they want you to buy the latest version of Office and will keep plaguing you till you give in. :-) I use Libre Office (free) which opens MS Office files.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

They can keep trying, but I have no reason to upgrade, as my copy does all that I need. Micro$oft are trying to go the subscription route.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was lucky as I got my copy of office 2013 on a corporate license for home use just before I left my last job. It's part of the MS home use program, so that will do me.

What really annoyed me about MS lately as were having a gripe, is that since taking over Skype, MS have now withdrawn Skype for Smart TVs! So I have 2 of these TVs and we bought the Samsung Camera to use the Skype service last year, as it was a great free way to video call relatives over distance. Now that ended in June, were all left with obsolete cameras! They don't have any drivers, and will not work on a PC. Bad move on Samsung's part in making these bespoke so they won't work on anything else.... I'm now in the global refund queue which is going to take months to get any sort of compensation. I suppose Samsung are making some recompense although this is MS's fault!

Marc
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

We have two machines here, one running 7 and the,other 10. I upgraded my machine to run 10 to see if it would work. It had performed faultlessly! Dunno what I did wrong (or right) but maybe, knowing nothing about nerd boxes, I just let Donald fly on his own.

Mrs XN keeps Her laptop, Ginger, on Win 7 because she likes it and dislikes change. Then again, so do I so why did I change?

A chap needs his secrets as well.......
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Must be something seriously wrong if you have a Win10 machine performing faultlessly XN :lol:

I expect it of Win 7 though and Mrs. XN is possibly very wise to stay with 7...
Jim