On TV...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On TV...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Reminded me of Eddienuff's rather splendid Club-XM avatar...

\:D/
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Many a true word spoken in jest Chris... In the case of an XM, in my experience, it's not far off reality :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

We finally got our water supply reconnected to the apartment yesterday.

We had a team of plumbers come in cutting holes in walls and ceilings, and in the 4th hole we found the junction of the old feed pipe from the neighbouring property (this was in and internal wall between 2 apartments, not an external wall).

Connecting the new supply pipe was then relatively easy.

The TV crew came and filmed me again, turning on the tap in our bathroom and getting water. It is still a bit of a novelty.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news on the reconnected water supply Mike :D At least you know how it runs throughout the building now ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

.....over on "Spectacular Roads"..a bit of a Brentford half-hour...so "On TV" we have

an original Alan Freeman advert, and Harry Enfield's Dave Nice with "Deptford Draylons"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh gosh no!!! Not more Brentford Nylons :twisted: :lol:

And advertising those bloody awful sheets too...

I hope the next thread I look at will be free of Brentford Nylons :)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Erm...

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

You think working on the wiring of a Citroen is bad, wait till you've done battle with Lada electrics. The system in the Riva is essentially a cheaply made Russian copy of an Italian loom. Yes, I can hear the screams from here.

Even once you manage to decode the colour codes from Cyrillic, it's entirely likely that you then find that the assembly crew just used whatever bits of wire they had laying around. At least 50% of the loom in my Niva was pink with a grey trace, made any electrical work an absolute nightmare. The tail lights eventually got soldered to their wires as I got so fed up of the edge connectors playing up every other day.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And we think French electrics are bad.... Paragons in comparison :lol:
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had a look over a Russian Space shuttle, the wiring on that and the electrical components were positively pre-war primitive, a bit like you would find on a 1936 Ford Eight.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-021000a.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I had a look over a Russian Space shuttle, the wiring on that and the electrical components were positively pre-war primitive, a bit like you would find on a 1936 Ford Eight.
Indeed, I believe they were still using 8" floppies on it... I heard they were getting so hard to get they cast their nets far and wide for them...

The reason was that it was very proven technology... Critical systems are always like that... They never use the bleeding-edge stuff and any software in use is a good few versions behind... Hence XP still being so widely used for instance and why Unix/Linux still dominates.

In my place we still had 8" floppies in use as late as 2006 on a mainframe that dated from the early 80s... In fact the same Ferranti hardware that controlled Magnox Nuclear Reactors... It was very reliable and resilient both in terms of hardware and software, which for a such a critical application as a nuclear power station it had to be... Gave me great confidence in UK nuclear safety at the time...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

In celebration of the tenuous link I give you.....Alan Whicker! (see What do you know about Norfolk!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Rover P6 Pathe News film referred to by Chris (White-Exec)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just watched Guy Martins' latest "Speed" programme, where he took his black Transit Van to Nevada for what is believed to be the fastest road race in the world. He entered the 150MPH class, which meant that he had to cover the 90 mile course with an average speed of 150MPH. He was a little quick, about 9 seconds quicker that the target time (but he still ended up 14th). His co-driver had competed several times before, and on one occasion had been part of the team that was only one thousandth of a second out (so far the closest to perfection run).

Oh, the van won one prize. The night before the race all the vehicles are checked over by (as Terry Pratchett might put it) ladies of negotiable affection, the van got the most attention (as it did at other displays), and the ladies awarded it "The Hookers Trophy".
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 28 Jan 2018, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Guy Martin is utterly bonkers but in the nicest possible way... I can't watch his speed programmes... They scare and frighten me...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I agree he is somewhat crazy, but like a fox. When he is doing work that requires precision he can be trusted to give it his full attention (such as when he was working on that wing spar bolt for the Spitfire that was being restored), and when he is at the controls of any vehicle he is equally attentive. Jim, I think that you could watch this first episode as, although the van hits speeds close to 170MPH, it is smooth driving on a section of road 90 miles long and with long sweeping curves (although through "The Narrows" they had to slow down to 75MPH).

The van required a little bit of work, and the larger Ford engine that was fitted was somewhat tweaked (going from around 350BHP to just under 700BHP), and, as usual, Guy got his hands dirty (you see him using a CNC machine to manufacture an uprated aluminium impellor for the water pump, to more than double the flow capacity of the cooling system). That black Transit van looked menacing, but somewhat out of place (parked next to a Lamborghini Diablo 1/3 as high), and was, as far as I can recall, the first van to be entered into this race (but almost certainly not the last, going by how well it performed).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+