Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:I love the 'Dark Side Of The Moon' stamp :D
I've got that CD. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I love the 'Dark Side Of The Moon' stamp :D
I've got that CD. :)
So have I, along with several other Pink Floyd ones...

In fact, going to listen to it in a bit ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This is a 3 part post.... Was at South Queensferry at the weekend, down the front with the boys scootering.

So here's the bridges, first the icon that is the rail bridge:

Then the road bridges, the current one in the foreground, and the new one taking shape behind; the deck is nearly closed now

More at http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1105 and http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=480
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Very much like South Queensferry and its views of the bridges Richard. Some of the cafe's/restaurants frame the bridges nicely from their windows. Called in there on the way back from our March holiday up in Fife for coffee and cake. Probably not of much interest to the assembled throng on the FCF but the little "beach" if you can call it that down the steps in the middle of the village/town is an excellent spot for collecting sea-glass of all sorts of colours. Not quite as good as Seaham in Co. Durham where a former bottle works, dumped its daily waste glass for decades into the North Sea, but not far off!

Just to contribute to the Forth Bridge moment...from the RM special Stamp Collections we have
and from the 1960's at threpenny and sixpence stamp

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, bridges :D I just love them!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Think you're hard up? Not cars or bridges.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A look through this might tell you different

http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/in ... rum.40378/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

....or more accurately...Picture of the Night.....

The nights are well and truly drawing in, but the last of the summer classic car spotting continues....

I give you "Caught in the Headlights"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

There is some high class Dogging up your way :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote:Ahh, bridges :D I just love them!
When they opened the new Kincardine bridge up the river and the M74 extension they had a cycling day first where you go and ride across / along them. Given your love of bridges and bikes, would be right up your street if they do one for the new Forth Bridge :) I'll keep you posted if they organise one - we'll be going en-(extended)-famile if they do! Would get your long awaited trip to Scotland too.... of course you'd need to get here, which might be difficult - but you could always ride - 4 or 5 days should do it :P - My Grandfather was into cycling before the war, and in 1938 decided he would visit the International Exhibition in Glasgow - at the time he lived in Southampton! So that was his 2 weeks holiday - ride to Glasgow and back :shock:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, that would be absolutely excellent :D I've been looking for inspiration to do a long distance ride and was even contemplating LEJOG but that would be even better :)

Also I could see the other Forth Bridge and with my other interest in railways it would be perfect..

So yes, please do keep me posted..

The other things I was thinking of was riding some stages of this years' Tour of Britain bike race... Glasgow to Castle Douglas and Carlisle to Kendal look particularly good (and hard!). I could get some mint cake at the same time ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Bike of the day

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CIEAAOSwj ... -l1600.jpg

Friend of mine is currently engaging in a mini-epic bike ride back from Lithuania having invested in a Moulton TSR Rolhof, heading for Amsterdam and a ferry back to Newcastle.

Not a kick in the pants from Goldap in Poland at the moment

Wonder if any of the FCF assembled throng have the remotest connection with this bit of Poland?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Picture(s) of the day...Poland Special

Post by CitroJim »

That's an interesting folder, it has full suspension so should be nice and comfy for the job...

never ridden on, I must admit...

Lovely bridge :D Keep 'em coming Neil ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That's an interesting folder, it has full suspension so should be nice and comfy for the job...

never ridden on, I must admit...
The bike is a product of Somerset, Bradford-on-Avon to be precise and one of Alex Moulton's iconic designs, with a bit of a cult following. Here's a little piece from Wiki about him
.....Moulton started up a new company, Moulton Developments Limited, to design the suspension system for British Motor Corporation's new small car, the Mini, that was being designed by his friend Sir Alec Issigonis. The combination of conical rubber springs and small wheels was one of the many innovative developments that allowed Issigonis to achieve the Mini's small overall size. This was later refined into the hydrolastic and hydragas suspension systems used on later British Leyland cars such as the Austin Maxi, Austin Allegro, Leyland Princess and Rover Metro, and most recently on the MGF.
Regards Neil

PS This 20 minute video has probably very limited general appeal but you may enjoy it Jim. Its an Open University Programme from their digital archive.....Materials and Mechanics..The Moutlon Bicycle. (second one down). Alex Moulton himself talking about the design of his bicycle! Its the Open University...expect no "frills" in the presentation! Its not on youtube so no neat embeding just an old fashioned link..

http://www.open.ac.uk/library/digital-archive/featured/82
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...Polish cars that made it onto Postage Stamps

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x42 ... 8Photo.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Never heard of any of those apart from the Polski Fiat... I remember those well... Their reputation was not good as I recall... A close neighbour to my parents had one...

Cheapest car in the UK for a good time but they did not last long due to low quality raw materials... Mechanically they were ruggedly agricultural but the bodies dissolved long before they wore out...

Wonder if there's any left in the UK now?
Jim