The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

Post by CitroJim »

I've just done a clean install on one of my laptops I upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 as it ran so, so slowly...

A clean install is very easy to do and not too slow but the end result is still slow and ponderous... I was hoping it might make it better but no such luck...

Still can't beat Ubuntu 16.04...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

In the end i went back to 8.1. My pc and windows 10 just werent hitting it off, speed to loadup was atrocious even with all startups disabled. I'll wait for win11... still get a free upgrade i guess.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Win 11 Mike? When's that due out then?

Oddly, I have another laptop running Win 10 here following an upgrade and clean install and that one runs tolerably fast. I guess it's all down to hardware although my 'fast' one was originally a Win7 machine and my 'slow' one was a Win8 machine.. The fast one is a fairly good Tosh whereas the 'slow' one is a low-end Compaq (HP) device... I recall it was never that speedy with Win 8 on it...

Nor was the laptop I'm using now with Ubuntu 16.04 when it originally ran Vista but with Ubuntu it goes like a good 'un...

And it's got to be a good 10 years old now too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I may have imagined it but have a vague memory of reading that Windows 10 was it - after 10 it is all just going to be updates.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes, that's what they said...but then that was originally the intention with XP.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I may have imagined it but have a vague memory of reading that Windows 10 was it - after 10 it is all just going to be updates.
Getting more and more like Unix/Linux then ;)

I predict that Windows will eventually evolve into another Linux distro.... Both for the professional and consumer markets...

A small clue to this progression is that SQL Server is/has been ported to Linux.
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:A small clue to this progression is that SQL Server is/has been ported to Linux.
MSsql ?

The last time I looked at that was on Windows 2000 'Small Business Server' (I still have discs!) as it had a SQL one too. The 'wizard' was quite good from what I can recall. It was not that long ago actually I was looking more curiosity than anything else probably 3 or 4 years ago.

I just have to make do with the unfriendly console or phpmyadmin :rofl2:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: MSsql ?
Yes Andy, Microsoft MSSQL ;)

One of the best products they market. Of course it's not their own; they originally bought it from someone else...

A subject close to my heart as I spend a good part of my working life buried in MSSQL and it's query language :twisted: I actually enjoy it...

It is possibly one of Microsoft’s biggest and most important products, along with Exchange...

I also write a lot of VBS too ;) Not yest made the move to Powershell. Not a fan from what I've seen of it... Now if it looked exactly like Unix and could write bash scripts in it I'd be very happy.
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Come on Jim stop talking in that foreign language. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Come on Jim stop talking in that foreign language. :)
Sorry :oops: By way of translation....

SQL (in all of it's many guises) is a large database platform that possibly sits behind just about everything you do these days.. Even this very forum relies upon one to store all the posts, member details and everything else that makes this forum work...

VBS is Visual Basic Scripting and is a lightweight computer programming language for Windows that is useful to write many small utility routines to do many useful little jobs... bash (or more correctly) shell scripting is its Unix/Linux equivalent...

Unix (and it's free open-source sibling Linux) is the daddy and child of all modern operating systems and pre-dates Windows by some 30 years and remains the first choice of professionals for critical systems. Indeed this very forum runs under Linux...

Unix has been with us since the early 70s and is still instantly recognisable as such. Today's Unix/Linux still has all the commands of the very first versions and they still work in exactly the same manner... It's just slowly evolved to meet current needs... Unlike Windows 1 and the knee-jerk gimmick inspired lurches toward Windows 10 say...

You might say they got it right first time with Unix/Linux ;)

The original and best...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My son in law who is sadly struggling to recover from a stroke would love all that Jim, he was in the RAF then at GCHQ and spent all his time deeply engrossed in computer programming.

He was currently working on a huge program for the US plumbing union.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hope he is soon back to full health and fitness Gibbo and with no permanent harm done....

One of my colleagues suffered a stroke in the office we work in a couple of months ago. Only 52. He was lucky and seems to have recovered well with no great damage - we know that as he's still telling us the same old jokes over and over again as he always has...
Jim

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I switched from 8.1 to 10 soon after it was released, rolled back after 2 weeks because it was slow and flaky. 11 months on, I decided to do it again before the free period ran out, and soon after did the 'anniversary edition' upgrade. All seems to be OK, a pain to re-think all the one drive stuff which works in a different way from 8.1 and to my mind not terribly well.

Win 10 was slow early on, particularly launching things, but I think it busily indexes everything to make windows search work properly but takes a while to pause the indexing when the user asks it to do something else, hence a few seconds of unresponsiveness. Seemed to do a couple of mini updates in background as well. May be best to leave the machine on for a day or two so it can chunter away quietly overnight and sort itself out, and judge performance after a week or so. Oh how things have changed - a few seconds seems like an eternity, not long ago you would have pressed F9 to set your spreadsheet off recalculating and go put the kettle on.

I use google chrome but MS Edge seems to create its own history even when unopened. I assume that Bill Gates and Theresa May both now have a log of everything I do, say or think.

Best wishes to son in law of Gibbo. Is he even allowed to tell anyone that he worked at that place in Cheltenham? "Just off to the radio factory dear ....." Back in the 70's I worked in an aerospace factory and if I had signed the official secrets act, which I may or may not have done, I would have been in breach of it if I had told anyone that I had, which led to Kafkaesue moments when the security manager asked people if they had signed before he issued them with a pass to a particular building.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Richard_C wrote: Win 10 was slow early on, particularly launching things, but I think it busily indexes everything to make windows search work properly but takes a while to pause the indexing when the user asks it to do something else, hence a few seconds of unresponsiveness. Seemed to do a couple of mini updates in background as well. May be best to leave the machine on for a day or two so it can chunter away quietly overnight and sort itself out, and judge performance after a week or so.
I've tried that Richard and seen a small improvement but not sufficient to wean me off Ubuntu...

Edge I just can't fathom at all and what you say about it is a tad concerning... I use Firefox both on Ubuntu and Windows with most satisfactory results. For email on both platforms I use Thunderbird...

I've looked at all the available browsers and email clients over time and those two are the best for me by a country mile...

I keep an open mind over Windows 10 and one day I hope it really will come good but for now it's not...
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Regarding a couple of bits.

1. I don't think that W10 is actually um 'collecting' anything more than other versions did, at least its a bit more transparent. Note: This is just my personal view nothing more. There area few things I could say but (for various reasons) I'm unable to. Quite of lot of it can be turned off anyway via group policy.

2. If you're using the Pro version its very easy to kill of Cortana via Group Policy, you then have a normal(ish) search. This may help with speed a bit. Regarding this you may also wish to perhaps look at the whole of Drive C's properties (and other drives if you have them) and uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" , this may or may not provide you with a speedup. You could also look at the 'eye candy' type settings and perhaps turn some of them off (mouse shadows and the like) if needed.

3. The speed issue (part one). It was a bit sluggish when I tried it on a 1.4 Atom NetBook. :D but it was not unbearable. You do really want a bit of memory to run it properly. Perhaps its best to judge the current build as a bit like the first Win98 release, great on the right hardware (yes really, it was fine!) but otherwise wait a bit.

4. The speed issue (part two) , a long time ago I remember reading about 'minimum' and 'recommended' specifications for games and operating systems. The 'rule of thumb' here was for games to ensure you had double the minimum (everything) and for MS operating systems treble everything. This is not too difficult even now as the 'minimum requirements' are relatively low.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG