How hot does it have to be?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Bargeman
My Cars: 1999 Xantia Estate 2.0 16v
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

How hot does it have to be?

Post by Bargeman »

Hi All

Not sure weather (get that it's a play on words) this is the right place for "Bar Chat".

A mooring neighbour yesterday left his bike in the direct sun for a couple of hours (47 C - 116 F), then jumped on it to ride back to his barge.

BANG - the rear tyre blew out like a shotgun discharge, should of seen his face, I couldn't understand the Swiss German that he shouted, but I think it translated to "Oh dear me" :rofl2:

So it was declared a good time for another cold beer. Just as hot today, The Lady is now making long cooooollldd gin and tonics :-D

Bargeman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: How hot does it have to be?

Post by CitroJim »

It is the right place indeed Bargeman!

That's hot and I guess the tyre going was a combination of how hard it was already pumped up, how old it was and pure bad luck... Tiny sidewall cuts or perishes can also hasten such a bang..

I once saw a cyclist repair a puncture three times as each time as he was pumping it up it went off bang... It was only on the third time he spotted the pressure open a tiny cut in the tyre that allowed the tube to bulge out and go off with a very healthy bang... I'd suspect that was the failure mode of your friend's tyre...

I run my TCR tyres at 110psi - (max rated is 120psi) so a hot day it could well take them beyond... Especially as there#'s not a huge mass of air in them...

They also say it's not a good idea to leave a carbon bike in the heat and sun as it can start to degrade the carbon fibre...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Here's a little tip for anyone reading.... don't take the hottest week in the year off to do your patio. It'll only end in a bad tempered way :evil: :cry:
It's been far too hot and far too humid for me, and my mate forgot to tell me that the cement mixer he was lending me doesn't work anymore :roll:
I haven't yet found out how far you can throw a granite sett, but I reckon it's quite a long way :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: I haven't yet found out how far you can throw a granite sett, but I reckon it's quite a long way :rofl2:
Could be a new sport for the Olympics :wink:

No doubt a few cyclists on cobbled sections of the classic road races would like to join you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As would some of the Olympic cyclists in Rio! The one that made me cringe (I thought she had been killed) was the Dutch female cyclist who was leading the road race and then ended up motionless in a culvert;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olym ... road-race/
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed James, she was jolly lucky to not have been a lot more seriously injured...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote: I run my TCR tyres at 110psi - (max rated is 120psi) so a hot day it could well take them beyond...
Say you pumped up at 10C; then they went up to 50C in the sun; temp ratio is (273+50)/(273+10) = 1.14 - this will also be (approx) the absolute pressure ratio. So potential pressure is 1.14*(110+14.7)-14.7 = 127 psi - assuming that there's no expansion of the tyre due to the pressure increase :wink:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :D Good to see the maths behind it and from that it's not as bad as might be thought...

I'm sure a tyre in good nick can stand 7 psi above the norm....
Jim

Bargeman
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Post by Bargeman »

Blimey, we have gone from a (slightly) drunken Swiss bloke crapping himself as he thought someone was shooting at him, to Olympic Granite Sett Tossing, Degradation of Carbon Fibre. to cycle road racing, now we are at Boyles Law and the Combined gas laws.

Wow what an educated forum, just a couple of point to add:

Along with Sett Tossing can I nominate Intermittent Drive Shaft Bearing chucking, as The lady helped me off with the overalls and Tee shirt, which was then literally wrung out it was that soaked in sweat today - just hit 50C in the sun.

Interesting on how two people view granite setts, Bobbins sees a patio, I see good ballast.

Second, no carbon in the bikes here the closest to a natural occurring element on the bikes used around the moorings is iron oxide, no need for red paint the rust does it for us. Also makes the brakes grip well

Bargeman
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Bargeman wrote:
Interesting on how two people view granite setts, Bobbins sees a patio, I see good ballast.

Bargeman
The only reason I saw a patio with the granite setts was that I was offered over 2000 of them for free :-D I used to be a gardener for a <ahem> small wealthy estate, they decided they didn't want the setts so asked me to get rid of them. So I did :-D My mate reckons I should have sold the setts and done the patio with B&Q's finest (i.e. cheapest) slabs :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Bargeman
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Post by Bargeman »

Should have sold them - the boat industry loves them as good ballast a lot cheaper than scrap (rail track) iron.

Then told the missus that she could have had a new handbag - used B&Q slabs and had enough left for a recon gearbox :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Bargeman wrote:Blimey, we have gone from a (slightly) drunken Swiss bloke crapping himself as he thought someone was shooting at him, to Olympic Granite Sett Tossing, Degradation of Carbon Fibre. to cycle road racing, now we are at Boyles Law and the Combined gas laws.
It's quite normal on this forum Bargeman :D One of the wonderful things about it.. You'll find many, many threads wander down some very interesting byways as you explore further...

All I can say is enjoy :D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Indeed - there's something tragically wrong with a thread that doesn't go on the wander sooner or later.
Bargeman
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Post by Bargeman »

Sounds just like my mind, wanders all over the place, often not making a lot of sense, rarely making any, always enjoying it.

Pondering such thing as just what is the perfect time to leave beer in the fridge.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bargeman wrote:
Pondering such thing as just what is the perfect time to leave beer in the fridge.
Not long or someone else will snaffle it.