Engine problems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Engine problems

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ok so it's not French and doesn't really matter as the car is destined for the local car auction on Thursday. It's kerris astra. Its a 1.9 CDTI 120. 135000 miles covered been serviced every 10000 or so. It came home under its own power last week after putting its oil amongst the coolant. The oil is clean. It was running perfectly, full power and no smoke. We think.cylinder head gasket. The radiator is leaking, take off the oil filler cap and it smells burnt. Due to the mileage it's not worth us fixing. So the other day I drained the coolant by the drain tap, put the hose into the header tank until it ran clear out of the bottom. I replaced the drain tap and filled it with water. Then tried to start it, just a thud from the starter. We have thought the starter is iffy for a while. So she lives on a bill so tried bump starting it. Up to speed in 2nd let clutch out it locked the front wheels. Called the AA he fiddled for a while and pronounced the engine seized and towed it back to the house. All id this so far being work outable. Then comes the funny stuff. After being sitting 24 hrs I put the key in and lo and behold the engine turned over slowly. So jump leads on to it by this time Kerri was watching. It cranked quite a bit then started chucking out black smoke, then stopped. Cranked again for ages then the same started ran about 3 seconds black smoke then stopped. Try once more I thought, it started and kept running whacking out black then white smoke. It revved ok, no funny noises. I left it running a while while I parked the other car then took it for a run. Driving absolutely perfectly, no smoke, powerful and torquey like it should be. It's a strange one to me. It's like it was water locked but how did the water get into the bores? The water was only ever put into the coolant header tank and nowhere else. What I can't understand is the thing running perfect! It's still off to the auction on Thursday the way it is. I just wonder if some of you guys could come up with an explanation. It doesn't really matter. It only has to drive 35 miles then round the ring and it's not our problem. Kerri is sad her car is going, it has been a good car to get for 7 years and 115000 miles she has done in it, and it's replacement older stop gap Audi a4 tdi seems to be mechanically sound but the astra may just have to be it went funny because it's a poxhall [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji13] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Engine problems

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sheer bloody mindedness!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Don't think about it, just sell/dump the old pile of insignificant rusty bolts and be done.
Do as you would do with a fridge
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the water has leaked into one or more of the bores which is locking the engine when you try to turn it, you might be able to get it out if you can rotate the engine slowly with a spanner but if you towed it you have quite likely bent a conrod.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Poxyhall Chavalier we had many moons ago did much the same trick and I was able to nurse it along for ages by leaving the rad cap loose so the cooling system could not pressurise...

Traded it in like that and the garage never knew ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The thing is starting and running smoothly though. I'm only asking what you guys think, it's off to auction and dumped on someone else.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, at the end of the day Caveat Emptor applies... Then it'll be SEP*

* Someone Else's Problem
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

All love Kerri had for the astra is gone. She has an a4tdi sport avant to play with now. At least it's an older one and doesn't have those stupid leds that blind everyone

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2