'Fingerpost' Direction Signs...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: 'Fingerpost' Direction Signs...

Post by ekjdm14 »

Have you done the "killer mile" AKA Mow Cop near Congleton, Cheshire Jim? If you're into climbing there's some good little hills in this part of the world. I too used to ride quite a bit in my youth and can safely say the killer mile nearly killed me. I made the mistake of stopping to tighten a strap a few hundred yards in & found it almost impossible to get moving again (think I was in a 42/28 bottom gear).

Also we have the A537 "Cat & Fiddle" road, popular with motorbikes too but a good challenge for a roadie and there's loads of other up 'n' downy stuff surrounding the area. Another ride we did took in the village of Flash, with apparently the highest (in altitude!!!) pub in the country to boast.

Not quite the amount of nice old signposts as you seem to have there, but there must be something good about is as they're starting the "Milk Race" (rather, the Tour of Britain) from Congleton this year... Hope nobody gets eaten by a Bear (or a Wild Boar, if the route takes in that particular clough) :D
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So far I've not ventured anywhere beyond Northampton going north on my bike but have plans...

The Cat and Fiddle is famous in roadie circles as is Mow Cop... Another one is Buttertubs Pass... All on my to-do list ;)

Cycling Weekly feature a weekly 'Killer Climb' which is always a good source of inspiration...

Much better hills down here than at home :D - 'better' in this context means longer and steeper ;)

I maybe ought to swap my green jersey for a KoM (King of the Mountains) one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Belach na ba in the NW Highlands - drop down the other side into Applecross:

I've driven over it...

The 'struggle' up to Kirkstone pass in the Lake district is quite interesting.... I've ridden down it!

Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tasty :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My latest spot.. This time nearer home. I caught a glimpse of it on my way home yesterday in the car when I took a detour to avoid a traffic jam.

I cycled over to it today...

Keen eyes may spot 'Great Horwood' on it... The next village from Little Horwood and venue for many rallies, not least the Chevrons later in the year...

Close inspection shows it's just a reproduction one :(

Fingerposts in North Bucks are very rare indeed, if not totally extinct but I keep my eyes open...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

...and the most notable part of Stony Stratford 3

Two of its pubs...

Regards Neil

PS Struggled to find anything remotely interesting about Beauchampton apart from "CitroJim woz 'ere July 2016!"
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Jul 2016, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The origin of the 'Cock and Bull Story'. A tall tale told in the Cock was then told in the Bull whereupon it got even taller.... Or so they say ;)

I stayed in the Cock Hotel on my very first visit to these parts when I was just 15 and attending my first interview for the job I still do to this day... I forgot an alarm clock and had to buy a wind-up Wesclox from the jewellers across the road...

That was my first solo trip on the train from Yeovil Junction to Wolverton via the Northern Line! It was a heck of an adventure :D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:The origin of the 'Cock and Bull Story'. A tall tale told in the Cock was then told in the Bull whereupon it got even taller.... Or so they say ;)
So, the origin of the "Cock & Bull" story then?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:The origin of the 'Cock and Bull Story'. A tall tale told in the Cock was then told in the Bull whereupon it got even taller.... Or so they say ;)
So, the origin of the "Cock & Bull" story then?
Well maybe; it could just be a load of old bull... best to ask about it in the Cock ;)
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

RichardW wrote:Belach na ba in the NW Highlands - drop down the other side into Applecross:
A specially good photo of it, Richard. Have also driven up and over it a few times.

"...or Caravans"
At least guaranteed to be Clarkson-free, then.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: I stayed in the Cock Hotel on my very first visit to these parts when I was just 15 and attending my first interview for the job I still do to this day... I forgot an alarm clock and had to buy a wind-up Wesclox from the jewellers across the road...

That was my first solo trip on the train from Yeovil Junction to Wolverton via the Northern Line! It was a heck of an adventure :D
Genuine magic of randomness there, love it! Here's a Wesclox travel alarm, which is what I imagine you would have bought!

I hope it had luminous hands!

Regrds Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Of course if you were a connoisseur Wesclox alarm clocks as a young man, you may have invested in a Big Ben or Baby Ben, maybe even in avocado!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It did have luminous hands Neil and very much like the little travel one above :D

Smiths were the other famous brand of wind-up alarm clocks but Wesclox was far more stylish as I recall. Those above really prove it :D

Never needed any batteries ;) It lasted a while too and I clearly remember it did a few overseas trips with me; its big plus-point was its reliability and simplicity...

It was only surpassed when I got one of these for overseas trips:

It included an alarm function and would wake me up to the BBC World Service

I still have it in my vintage wireless collection and it still works as well as ever :D It gets used most days... I have a selection of wirelesses tuned to R4 and another selection tuned to Classic FM. Depending on what I want to listen to and where determines which wireless gets used...

I too absolutely love the magic of randomness in these threads, may it long continue and go from strength to strength :D
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: Image
"...or Caravans"
At least guaranteed to be Clarkson-free, then.
OK for bikes then ;)

I believe they're prohibited on some extreme hills such as Porlock...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Been to Applecross, lovely part, there are old telephone poles with about 30 pairs of wires, no longer used I don't think but preserved by the dry cold air, the poles are bleached white by the weather - or at least they were when we went, a few years ago now.

For a real challenge try the A9 at Berridale, long steep and two hairpins. One or two lorries been lost there.

Peter