Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by CitroJim »

Norton Camp is still very much in existence Gibbo... Much changed from your days though... Even the old Nissen Huts on the corner are still there but derelict now...
Gibbo2286 wrote: Ps. Beeching did the only thing that could be done at the time, if Attlee's government hadn't nationalised it all the private companies who built it in the first place would have kept it running.
Oh, I know the truth of the Beeching Axe and know he had no choice when given the stark remit of making the network profitable or else! It was a poison chalice and he and only one course of action open to him... Poor man is vilified to this day but it really wasn't his fault.

Still so very short-sighted though, as were many Beeching line closures... Even so, then the Minehead and Ilfracombe lines stayed running until the early 70s because road transport was not good enough... It still isn't arguably...

I watched the last BR train leave Blue Anchor station in 1971 and watched the first steam-hauled WSR train arrive at Blue Anchor in 1976...

I may try to get down there this week with my bike... I love Blue Anchor and it holds a very special place in my life...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo, a scene from Blue Anchor Station I took in May...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Had quite a nice little network of railways in the 1930's Somerset, just needed a small bridge from Weston-Super-Mare to Penarth to complete the picture!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... merset.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There was a railway bridge a bit further up the Severn but it got in the way of the shipping.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucesters ... 106744.stm
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My old home town (Langport) had two stations.. Now it has none...

I'm currently at dad's place which is maybe 50 yards from the site of Langport East. The line still exists and I see many GWR HSTs flying past each day.. The line Langport West was on is long gone and the site of the station is now occupied by a Citroen garage!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

d
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2017, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....and quite a comprehensive account of the bridge and the accident which brought on its demise on 25th October 1960 is told here in an article titled Lost in the fog
extract Power of the tide
Calm greeted James Dew, skipper of the Wastdale H, as he eased his vessel out of Avonmouth Docks at around 1915 on the evening of Tuesday 25th October 1960, embarking on the return leg of a journey that had begun in Worcester early that same morning. Travelling with him was a crew of three and 351 tonnes of petroleum spirit. Slightly ahead, he could see the lights of tanker barges which had sailed up from Swansea on the afternoon tide. Amongst them was the Arkendale H, loaded with 296 tonnes of Britoleum fuel oil and captained by George Thompson...........
Fog, and the tide, and an element of inexperience, led to a tragic conclusion....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

One of my young customers got the contract to dismantle the rest of the bridge.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Its something which thousands of people cross over every day but goes unnoticed. But this was the winner of

and having watched this little film I can see why.....its an absolute marvel of civil engineering with the skill and expertese and precision required to produce the structure equally as impressive as for the huge number of stone, brick and ironwork viaducts produced in the Victorian era.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 12 Jul 2016, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's one heck of a viaduct :D Love it...

Another shot of it...

Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Fascinating film, Neil. Some extraordinary H&S moments, compared with today's standards.
Particularly liked the "manual application" of the epoxy!

Just a few km from us, runs the A7 Autovia Mediterraneo...

Took a good few years to build, and was Europe's most expensive stretch of motorway, moving repeatedly, as it does, straight from high viaduct to tunnel...

Work was halted for almost three years while the deaths of six Portuguese workers were investigated. A section of the horizontal gantry collapsed, with workers on it and under it. The gantry, belonging to the Portuguese company, had not been properly inspected and certificated. A sad episode, remembered every time we use the road.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Absolutely fantastic structure Chris. Further afield I have been interested to see the sheer volume and scale of bridge building in China. I don't know anything really about the geography of China so I wonder if these fantastic bridges are built as statement pieces of their prowess and skill, or absolutely vital parts of a transport network to further develop their economy.

I think you could put together a fantastic motoring tour, taking in some of their spectacular bridges.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Been past, over and under the Byker viaduct countless times and to my shame never paid it any attention - it was just 'there'. :oops:
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote:Been past, over and under the Byker viaduct countless times and to my shame never paid it any attention - it was just 'there'. :oops:
Me too Steve, never knew anything about it or noticed its beautiful "S" Curve, or the shape of the tall columns keeping it up!

Its one of the benefits of not watching television (you tube doesn't count of course) finding little films to amuse, educate and entertain on all sorts of subjects.

This probably would never make it to mainstream TV but it was the prelude to finding that film on the Byker Viaduct. Not the most animated of voice overs but some lovely images, and all good educational stuff, and only 20 minutes or so, which is considerably less than the hour or so I reguarly used to devote to watching "Question Time" getting irritated and shouting at the TV over pointless hotair!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A very nice bit of history there Neil, I would have to ask, could it be done in this day and age when NIMBI culture rules the roost?
I find that any proposal for new build from the smallest house to the biggest engineering project brings out the objectors in their hordes, "You can't do that here you'll disturb the newts."